Old November 5th 15, 09:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Old People & Front Doors on Buses

We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical.

Old November 5th 15, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical.

The seats reserved for old/disabled people are nearer the front of the bus,
so if they're sitting in them, it's easier to get off the same way,
particularly if they're carrying stuff.

Old November 5th 15, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

What is your evidence for that statement? I've not kept score but my
perception is that the behaviour is shown most often by people with one
or both of 2 characteristics: (a) people new to London* and (b) selfish
gits; and they seem to me to have a lower age than the general bus
population.

There are of course some old people who do exit at the front but that is
not surprising to me as (a) they may have spent very many years on buses
where that was the only option and (b) if seated at the front they find
that by far the easier and quicker route when using the middle doors so
often means negotiating buggies, shopping trollies and standing
passengers whose attention is 100% on their phones.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old November 5th 15, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 5 November 2015 10:38:21 UTC, Robin wrote:
Offramp wrote:

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

What is your evidence for that statement?

http://documents.worldbank.org/curat...republic-congo
Page 42.

There are of course some old people who do exit at the front but that is
not surprising to me as (a) they may have spent very many years on buses
where that was the only option and (b) if seated at the front they find
that by far the easier and quicker route when using the middle doors so
often means negotiating buggies, shopping trollies and standing
passengers whose attention is 100% on their phones.

My experience is that no matter where in the front section of the bus the oldie is seated, and no matter what the congestion is like in the centre of the bus, the miscreant will always use the front door, creating the possibility of a Heysel-stadium-like disaster.
Old November 5th 15, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 10:15:14 AM UTC, Offramp wrote:
We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical.

They are not identical as the front entrance on London buses normally has the ability for the front suspension to kneel so reducing the step up/down to the kerb. This is a major benefit to people with reduced mobility such as the elderly. Drivers are encouraged to look out for people such as this as part of their customer service training. So it's good to hear that this is obviously working!

Old November 5th 15, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 02:15:12 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical.

All our local buses, (S.E.Essex) have but the one door, (at the
front..........) so when we venture into the Capital we are confuzzled
& panciked by this strange extra door.

As for Oyster Readers which don't work with our bus

DC

---

Old November 5th 15, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 5 November 2015 15:41:04 UTC, Richard J. wrote:

The OP's obvious exaggeration doesn't help his case.

"We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical."

I can't see any exaggeration there.