Old November 19th 15, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default "Hybrid" buses

I road on a Boris BUs a while back and was underwhelmed by its supposed
Hybrid-ness. I took the 125 bus yesterday which is also a hybrid but not
a routemaster and it suffered exactly the same issues - the engine went off
at each stop and about 3-4 secs after moving away from the stop on electric
power the engine came back on again and stayed on until the next stop even
in slow moving traffic. Rince and repeat. Which IMO somewhat defeats the whole
point of having a hybrid. I think "electric assisted" would be rather closer
to the truth. In fairness it was somewhat faster up the hills than a diesel
bus but that seemed to be its only advantage.

--
Spud

Old November 20th 15, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:26:15 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:52:48 on Fri, 20 Nov
2015, d remarked:
I road on a Boris BUs a while back and was underwhelmed by its supposed
Hybrid-ness. I took the 125 bus yesterday which is also a hybrid but not
a routemaster and it suffered exactly the same issues - the engine went off
at each stop and about 3-4 secs after moving away from the stop on electric
power the engine came back on again and stayed on until the next stop even
in slow moving traffic. Rince and repeat. Which IMO somewhat defeats the
whole
point of having a hybrid. I think "electric assisted" would be rather

closer
to the truth. In fairness it was somewhat faster up the hills than a diesel
bus but that seemed to be its only advantage.

That's pretty important on the 125 route!

Well true. Certainly the old diesel buses would crawl up the hills at less
than 20mph but they were woefully underpowered. HGVs had no problems.
However even on the flat the diesel engine in these "hybrids" is almost always
running so I really wonder just how much fuel they actually save.

If it manages to keep the engine running only at its most economic
speed, rather than constantly varying up and down, that should save
fuel.

Sadly not. The engine speed seems to vary with road speed and it sounded like
it was changing gear too, so I suspect its a parallel hybrid on this particular
bus model rather than serial.

--
Spud

Old November 21st 15, 07:43 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield[_2_] View Post
Worth saying that the type of hybrid you seem to want is about to be
tried out on route 69. This is a hybrid Alexander Dennis E40 but with
the ability to recharge over induction plates at Walthamstow Central
and Canning Town bus stations. There's been a wobbly start to the
trial but there's only 1 bus at present. These buses are designed to
run 80% of the time on electric power with the small diesel just as
back up.

--
Paul C
I hope that trial is a big success because the 69 bus plods along

Full hybrid buses Ernesto London Transport 33 March 26th 12 11:30 AM
What happened to the Hybrid buses? [email protected] London Transport 11 November 28th 09 03:40 PM
What happened to the hybrid buses? [email protected] London Transport 8 July 22nd 08 12:24 PM
Hybrid buses Boltar London Transport 41 July 12th 07 08:56 PM
"Ecological-green" bus-Engine hybrid: water/diesel oil transport truck & bus London Transport 0 December 9th 05 07:03 PM