Old July 21st 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What happened to the hybrid buses?

Weren't we supposed to be getting some hybrid buses running on the
streets Real Soon Now about a year ago? They were to be powered by
electric motors with a small diesel engine to charge the batteries
AFAIR. Are they out there now or still in the design stage or did they
get the boot along with Comrade Ken?

B2003

Old July 21st 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 21, 10:54*am, wrote:
Weren't we supposed to be getting some hybrid buses running on the
streets Real Soon Now about a year ago? They were to be powered by
electric motors with a small diesel engine to charge the batteries
AFAIR. Are they out there now or still in the design stage or did they
get the boot along with Comrade Ken?

B2003

There are hybrids on the 129 and 360 (single decks) and a lone Wright
Hybrid double deck on the 141 (I believe). There are a number of
orders outstanding including some Enviro 400 double decks for the 16
at Cricklewood and a batch of Optare Tempo single decks due for the
276 as well. I think there are also some new style Wright Gemini
Hybrids due as well but I can't recall hearing a route being suggested
for these buses.

Of course as I work for TfL I can't be trusted and the above
information may be a complete lie ;-)

HTH

Paul Corfield
via Google
Old July 21st 08, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
There are hybrids on the 129 and 360 (single decks) and a lone Wright
Hybrid double deck on the 141 (I believe).

Yep, have been on the 141 hybrid as recently as last week.
Old July 21st 08, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 21, 12:54 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
There are hybrids on the 129 and 360 (single decks) and a lone Wright
Hybrid double deck on the 141 (I believe). There are a number of
orders outstanding including some Enviro 400 double decks for the 16

I've seen Enviro 400s near where I live (can't miss them , its
emblazened over the back). They're just normal diesels with some extra
exhaust scrubbing arn't they?

B2003

Old July 21st 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Paul Corfield writes
There are a number of orders outstanding including some Enviro 400
double decks for the 16 at Cricklewood

Scarily, the last time I was on a (London) 16 it was a DMS.......

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old July 22nd 08, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Jul, 10:54, wrote:
Weren't we supposed to be getting some hybrid buses running on the
streets Real Soon Now about a year ago? They were to be powered by
electric motors with a small diesel engine to charge the batteries
AFAIR. Are they out there now or still in the design stage or did they
get the boot along with Comrade Ken?

B2003

Also, what happened to the few fuel cell buses which operated on the
25 for a while a few years ago once the gimm ^H^H^H^H trial was over?
Old July 22nd 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 22, 10:12*am, wrote:

Also, what happened to the few fuel cell buses which operated on the
25 for a while a few years ago once the gimm ^H^H^H^H trial was over?

IIRC they went back to Mercedes for 'evaluation', and one has now been
donated to the Science Museum/LT Museum (can't remember which). Pretty
short life for such expensive vehicles...
Old July 22nd 08, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 22, 12:58 pm, Rupert Candy wrote:
On Jul 22, 10:12 am, wrote:

Also, what happened to the few fuel cell buses which operated on the
25 for a while a few years ago once the gimm ^H^H^H^H trial was over?

IIRC they went back to Mercedes for 'evaluation', and one has now been
donated to the Science Museum/LT Museum (can't remember which). Pretty
short life for such expensive vehicles...

According to this page:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...ment/2017.aspx

There will be 10 of them by 2010. I'd be interested to know where the
H2 comes from since if its just steam out of natural gas or
electrolysed from water using electricity from coal or gas fired
plants then the whole exercise is just a pointless publicity stunt. If
the purpose is to reduce particulates rather than CO2 emissions then
use petrol or LPG engine buses.

B2003