Old October 27th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster card readers at Ealing broadway tube

For about 3 weeks one of the oyster readers to get out of the station has
been broken - it does nothing when you put your oyster card on it - last
week a handwritten note was added to it. During last week a second reader
in the "out" direction broke. This week those 2 remain broken and 3 of the
"in" ones are also broken. That means there's now only one "in" reader
working.

I wonder what has happened.. is it just Ealing that is being affected by
large scale reader failure or is it happening else where?

--
Ant

Old October 27th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Anteateruk" wrote the
following in:

For about 3 weeks one of the oyster readers to get out of the
station has been broken - it does nothing when you put your oyster
card on it - last week a handwritten note was added to it. During
last week a second reader in the "out" direction broke. This week
those 2 remain broken and 3 of the "in" ones are also broken.
That means there's now only one "in" reader working.

I wonder what has happened.. is it just Ealing that is being
affected by large scale reader failure or is it happening else
where?

In my experience oyster readers have generally all been working apart
from a few on buses. However I've had a different experience with
buying tickets on oyster. I had to try four times before I was able to
buy my student rate ticket. The problem seemed to be that I already had
an adult rate ticket on the card. At Canning Town they gave me a new
card form to fill in. I filled it in and gave it to them but they then
told me to go back when the ticket on the card had 7 days left on it.
When it had reached that stage I tried West Ham, but the woman said the
machine wouldn't let her issue the ticket on oyster but she could sell
me one on paper (which I didn't want). I then tried Canning Town again
but the ticket office was closed for staff training (perhaps to do with
oyster ticket problems?). Yesterday I tried at Plaistow and after a
while two men at the ticket office decided it was because I already had
an adult rate ticket on the card, and so I've ended up with two oyster
cards.

It took me several minutes at each ticket office before I finally ended
up with a ticket. It seems a bit disorganised that they haven't got
this aspect of the system covered better, and that no one seemed to
know what to do. It's a shame because generally I've found having an
oyster very convenient and handy.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old October 30th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Anteateruk" wrote in message
.. .

For about 3 weeks one of the oyster readers to get out of the station has
been broken - it does nothing when you put your oyster card on it - last
week a handwritten note was added to it. During last week a second reader
in the "out" direction broke. This week those 2 remain broken and 3 of

the
"in" ones are also broken. That means there's now only one "in" reader
working.

I wonder what has happened.. is it just Ealing that is being affected by
large scale reader failure or is it happening else where?

Ok.. now it's even worse. Only one Oyster reader in the whole station works
and that's the one on the ticket gate.. brilliant!

--
Ant

Old October 30th 03, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Yes, I went through Ealing Broadway tonight and indeed the only Oyster
reader working is the one on the manual gate! Assuming they've had a faulty
batch of readers on the barriers, I can only wonder if anywhere else has the
same problem!? Anyone have an insight into this?

Old November 4th 03, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ealing Broadway is Owned/Leased to Thames Trains - The gate system are owned
by Thames trains and is not the same as LU gate lines.... they didn't want
to spend the money on thier own.... the gates are bought from the same
company as LU even have the roundel on... which LU are arguing over....
but the softeware is different and Thames trains cannot make the software
work with the new Oyster cards..... it will be a loooooonnnngggg time
before it is concluded...

Old November 5th 03, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Anteateruk" wrote in message ...
"Anteateruk" wrote in message
.. .

For about 3 weeks one of the oyster readers to get out of the station has
been broken - it does nothing when you put your oyster card on it - last
week a handwritten note was added to it. During last week a second reader
in the "out" direction broke. This week those 2 remain broken and 3 of

the
"in" ones are also broken. That means there's now only one "in" reader
working.

I wonder what has happened.. is it just Ealing that is being affected by
large scale reader failure or is it happening else where?

Ok.. now it's even worse. Only one Oyster reader in the whole station works
and that's the one on the ticket gate.. brilliant!

If it makes you feel any better they have the reverse situation at
Limehouse c2c. The gates accept Oyster cards but reject LT issued
paper Travelcards with code 111 (Pod code error). Apparently Cubic pay
a visit a couple of times a month to play with the gates according to
the station staff but have not managed to fix the problem since it
surfaced at the beginning of this year.

I suspect that they are just waiting for the people still with LT
paper Gold Cards to renew with Oysters which will make the problem
disappear for everyone apart from a handful of LT issued One Day
Travelcard users who may pass through the station.

--
Gareth Davis

Old November 5th 03, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Gareth Davis" wrote in message
om...
[...]

8 ---- snip ----- 8

All of the oyster card readers at Ealing Broadway are now working again
apart from one in the out direction which has been out of order for as long
as I've had an Oyster card..

--
Ant