Old December 29th 15, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default By Northern Line to Battersea

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:35:45 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\12\29 11:51, Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 11:30:51 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\12\29 10:43, tim..... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2015\12\28 22:51, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 14:25:15 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
I notice that "Nine Elms" roundels have gone up all over the hoarding
surrounding the former Sainsburys opposite Wilcox Road.

Boris has also ceremonially started a conveyor belt from the Battersea
station site to the Thames.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcjSnzw38iI

Maybe they should have just built a two way conveyor from Battersea to
Vauxhall and then we wouldn't need the railway ;-)

I wonder if when that extension is built and the line is
operationally split
in 2 whether one half of the line will be given a new name or
whether it'll
still all be known as the northern line?

The extension is certainly being built and will open in 2020, but the
line
won't be split into two for some years (if at all). The split
requires the
rebuilding of Camden Town station.

So Morden will just lose, what, a third of its peak service?

Morden terminus can't cope with the peak service anyway

some have to be turned at Tooting

So Tooting will just lose, what, a third of its peak service?

As I said, the fleet is to be significantly increased, so that both
branches will get a more frequent service (of course, apart from
during the Bank rebuilding).

But surely increased frequencies are not possible until Camden is a
junction no more.

The new signalling helps.

But eliminating the junction would provide a big increase in capacity,
which is why it remains a long-term aim. In the interim, you can
optimise the use of the junctions, by having fewer conflicting
movements. Note that other lines, such as the Central, also have
branches with junctions.

Old December 29th 15, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default By Londons Northern Line to Battersea

On 2015\12\29 12:39, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\12\29 11:18, e27002 aurora wrote:

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

One presumes the trains that currently terminate at Kennington will
proceed onto the new branch.

slaps forehead composes himself I knew that. I was just testing.

Actually, the map on the TfL site says otherwise.
https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...line-extension

But what you're saying makes more sense than their map.
Old December 29th 15, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:42:00 on
Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Recliner remarked:

But surely increased frequencies are not possible until Camden is a
junction no more.

The new signalling helps.

But eliminating the junction would provide a big increase in capacity,
which is why it remains a long-term aim. In the interim, you can
optimise the use of the junctions, by having fewer conflicting
movements.

You could get more through trains at Camden by having the "two branches"
permanently separated, with the current track layout - but the issue
then is a big increase in people changing platforms at Camden, and
that's why it wouldn't cope.
Old December 29th 15, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 13:42:13 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 12:42:00 on
Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Recliner remarked:

But surely increased frequencies are not possible until Camden is a
junction no more.

The new signalling helps.

But eliminating the junction would provide a big increase in capacity,
which is why it remains a long-term aim. In the interim, you can
optimise the use of the junctions, by having fewer conflicting
movements.

You could get more through trains at Camden by having the "two branches"
permanently separated, with the current track layout - but the issue
then is a big increase in people changing platforms at Camden, and
that's why it wouldn't cope.

Yes, that's why you'd have to send some trains from both southern
branches to both northern branches.
Old December 29th 15, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
I notice that "Nine Elms" roundels have gone up all over the hoarding
surrounding the former Sainsburys opposite Wilcox Road.

Boris has also ceremonially started a conveyor belt from the Battersea
station site to the Thames.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcjSnzw38iI

Maybe they should have just built a two way conveyor from Battersea to
Vauxhall and then we wouldn't need the railway ;-)

I wonder if when that extension is built and the line is operationally
split in 2 whether one half of the line will be given a new name or
whether it'll still all be known as the northern line?

The extension is certainly being built and will open in 2020, but the
line won't be split into two for some years (if at all). The split
requires the rebuilding of Camden Town station.

So Morden will just lose, what, a third of its peak service?

Not exactly as I understand it. They will all go via Bank instead of some
going via Charing Cross.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old December 29th 15, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default By London Northern Line to Battersea

On 2015\12\29 12:01, Basil Jet wrote:
I'd be happy for the line that links Highgate with the City to be called
the Whittington Line, although there is already a line starting with W.

Alternatively the Stane Street Line, since it follows the Roman road of
that name from Colliers Wood to London Bridge.
Old December 29th 15, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

That's one way of putting it. The other is that all Charing X trains go to
Battersea, with additional trains running via Bank to Morden. Either way,
there will be more stock, and more trains running.

Old December 29th 15, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:59:43 on
Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Recliner remarked:
But surely increased frequencies are not possible until Camden is a
junction no more.

The new signalling helps.

But eliminating the junction would provide a big increase in capacity,
which is why it remains a long-term aim. In the interim, you can
optimise the use of the junctions, by having fewer conflicting
movements.

You could get more through trains at Camden by having the "two branches"
permanently separated, with the current track layout - but the issue
then is a big increase in people changing platforms at Camden, and
that's why it wouldn't cope.

Yes, that's why you'd have to send some trains from both southern
branches to both northern branches.

Some trains to both branches??

Split the train at Camden Town and send half each way?
Old December 29th 15, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 11:18:24 +0000, e27002 aurora
wrote:

Subject: By Londons Northern Line to Battersea

Why are you changing the subject line? It creates a new thread each
time you do that. It makes a mess.

Original subject was "By Northern Line to Battersea".
--
jhk
Old December 29th 15, 07:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

Why are you changing the subject line? It creates a new thread each
time you do that. It makes a mess.

Original subject was "By Northern Line to Battersea".

Adrian is obsessed with cross-posting to international news groups, so he
sometimes changes titles in order that the members of those groups know
that these are actually local UK threads that have been parachuted in. It's
also why he justifies using US spellings in purely UK threads.

He's not worried that this annoys others in the original groups, as he
apparently wishes to do so. Given how many people he blocks (or claims to
block), he must have trouble following threads anyway.