Old December 31st 15, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

IIRC, the additional 7th cars inserted into all of the 96 stock were unpowered, having concrete blocks in lieu of traction motors so the weight and suspension settings remained the same. I always assumed that the new complete trains used the same "obsolete" traction motors, for the sake of commonality.

I'm sure that I read somewhere recently that LU was looking to retraction the 95 and/or 96 fleets.
Old December 31st 15, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 04:10:52 -0800 (PST), Steve Lewis
wrote:

IIRC, the additional 7th cars inserted into all of the 96 stock were unpowered, having concrete blocks in lieu of traction motors so the weight and suspension settings remained the same. I always assumed that the new complete trains used the same "obsolete" traction motors, for the sake of commonality.

I'm sure that I read somewhere recently that LU was looking to retraction the 95 and/or 96 fleets.

Yes, that rings a bell. Presumably the priority would be to update the
older 96 stock to make them more compatible with the 95 stock? But if
a significant number of a newer version is ordered (the 2020 stock?),
I wonder if the older 95 and 96 stocks could also be updated to use
similar, more efficient, technology?
Old December 31st 15, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 10:31:45 +0000, e27002 aurora
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 09:28:25 GMT, d wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 22:11:23 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I refer you to the 2009 stock that they made too big to run on the piccadilly
line so has to be carted in and out of northumberland park by lorry , then
they go and waste the few inches of extra space with extra thick interior
decor.

To be fair, the 2009 stock wasn't specified by TfL, and more's the pity. We

Ok, didn't realise that. You still have to ask "why?" though since a lot of
the people working for metronet would have been the same people who would
have designed the train for LU anyway. Guess we'll never know.

Surely it would be possible to buy some new rolling stock and shuffle
the existing fleets in order to render each line homogenous?

Would be nice if they made them walk through. God knows, the northern line
trains need every bit of extra space they can get in the rush hour.

Extremely unlikely. There isn't time for an all-new articulated design,
plus it would be hard to keep them externally similar.

Is it not possible to have walk through with non-articulated tube stock in
the style of S stock and the 378s?

One would have thought so. The articulated excuse is just that, a
poor excuse.

And why do you think that? Perhaps you could provide some technical
justification for your allegation? As a hint, hope isn't enough.