Old February 25th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whatever happened to the Mill Hill East extension?

In 1937 the Northen "New" Line was going from MORGATE [then as now to] FIBSBURY
PARK.......STROUD GREEN -CROUCH END-HIGHGATE [INTERCHANGE WITH HIGH BARNET
LINE] -CRANLEY GARDENS-MUSWELL HILL- ALEXANDER PALACE= the
other line was planed to be...........MILL HILL EAST-MILLHILL [The Hale]
-EDGEWARE [as now] then BROCKLEY HILL-ELSTREE SOUTH-BUSHEY HEATH.= hope this
helps...P46

Old February 25th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Bill Hayles

Further to this, I can also recommend Jim's annual walking tours of the
'Northern Heights' branches.

Very enlightening. And, ahem, ironic.

BTN

I have heard about these tours but how can we find out when and where, etc.
?
Cheerz,
Baz

Old February 26th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Alistair
Bell writes
A separate station in Edgware? I'm pretty sure it was intended to be
the same station in Edgware, with a junction between the two lines
immediately south-east of the station.

There were two stations in Edgwa Edgware LNER and Edgware LER.

The Golders Green branch ran, and runs, to Edgware LER.

The Mill Hill branch ran to Edgware LNER. As part of the Northern
Heights work, passenger trains would have been diverted to Edgware LER
and thence Bushey Heath. Goods trains would have continued to use
Edgware LNER.

The Northern Line was roughly planned to have run

[...]

The planned service patterns we
- Kennington to Bushey Heath via Finchley and Charing Cross
- Kennington to High Barnet via Charing Cross
- Morden to Archway via Bank, extended to Finchley Central in the peaks
- Moorgate to East Finchley, extended to High Barnet in the peaks
- Moorgate to Alexandra Palace
- Moorgate to Finsbury Park tube (peak only)
- assorted services to Edgware via Golders Green

Trains on the two main routes from Moorgate would have coupled at
Highgate.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 27th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:59:04 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

Trains on the two main routes from Moorgate would have coupled at
Highgate.

ITYM "connected". Attempts at coupling would have been interesting,
to say the least.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com
Old February 27th 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Bill Hayles
writes
Trains on the two main routes from Moorgate would have coupled at
Highgate.

ITYM "connected". Attempts at coupling would have been interesting,
to say the least.

No, coupled. Just like on the big railway.

Old February 27th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Bill Hayles
writes
Trains on the two main routes from Moorgate would have coupled at
Highgate.

ITYM "connected". Attempts at coupling would have been interesting,
to say the least.

No, coupled. Just like on the big railway.

I think Bill is pointing out that the vertical difference between the two
lines at Highgate make that a bit of a problem. If coupling was going to be
performed it would most likely have been at Finchley Central as at East
Finchley the lines join north of the platforms.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply

Old February 27th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , John
Shelley writes
Trains on the two main routes from Moorgate would have coupled at
Highgate.
ITYM "connected". Attempts at coupling would have been interesting,
to say the least.

No, coupled. Just like on the big railway.

I think Bill is pointing out that the vertical difference between the two
lines at Highgate make that a bit of a problem.

In which case, both you and Bill are misunderstanding.

Train departs Moorgate, runs via Drayton Park, Finsbury Park (high
level), to Highgate High Level. Splits.
* One part turns right at Park Junction and heads to Ally Pally.
* The other part goes straight ahead and continues to East Finchley (or,
in the peaks, High Barnet).
Reverse the process for southbound trains.

I said "two routes *from* Moorgate".

Old February 27th 04, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

I said "two routes *from* Moorgate".

I'd been considering routes from Moorgate (GN&C) and Moorgate (City Branch)
to a common destination. You didn't state to different destinations did
you?

I think we can agree that both were correct.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply

Old February 28th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

John Shelley writes
Trains on the two main routes from Moorgate would have coupled at
Highgate.
ITYM "connected". Attempts at coupling would have been interesting,
to say the least.
No, coupled. Just like on the big railway.

I think Bill is pointing out that the vertical difference between the two
lines at Highgate make that a bit of a problem.

In which case, both you and Bill are misunderstanding.

Train departs Moorgate, runs via Drayton Park, Finsbury Park (high
level), to Highgate High Level. Splits.
* One part turns right at Park Junction and heads to Ally Pally.
* The other part goes straight ahead and continues to East Finchley (or,
in the peaks, High Barnet).
Reverse the process for southbound trains.

I said "two routes *from* Moorgate".

Sorry to be so pedantic, but wouldn't those have *un*coupled at Highgate?
Old February 28th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:29:48 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In which case, both you and Bill are misunderstanding.

Yes, I was. Apologies

Train departs Moorgate, runs via Drayton Park, Finsbury Park (high
level), to Highgate High Level. Splits.
* One part turns right at Park Junction and heads to Ally Pally.
* The other part goes straight ahead and continues to East Finchley (or,
in the peaks, High Barnet).
Reverse the process for southbound trains.

Although it's the first I've heard of this idea. AFAIK, it isn't
mentioned in Northern Wastes, which talks of fourteen trains per
hour from Moorgate via Finsbury Park, seven of which would go to
High Barnet and the other seven to Alexandra Palace.

Knowing you, I'm sure you have source for this. Can you let me know
what it is so that I can read up for myself. For various reasons,
not least an early childhood memory of a steam trip to Alexandra
Palace, this is one of my favourite topics.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com