London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 16th 16, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

There was a recent long thread here on the trial at Holborn of standing on
both sides of the escalator. Apparently the trial was more successful than
predicted and they're pondering whether and how to escalate it:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...the-escalators


  #2   Report Post  
Old January 16th 16, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2007
Posts: 1,139
Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

On Saturday, 16 January 2016 10:25:49 UTC, Recliner wrote:
There was a recent long thread here on the trial at Holborn of standing on
both sides of the escalator. Apparently the trial was more successful than
predicted and they're pondering whether and how to escalate it:


It was a roaring triumph.
  #3   Report Post  
Old January 16th 16, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2011
Posts: 79
Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

On 16/01/2016 10:23, Recliner wrote:
There was a recent long thread here on the trial at Holborn of standing on
both sides of the escalator. Apparently the trial was more successful than
predicted and they're pondering whether and how to escalate it:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...the-escalators


Classic Guardian - 98% pseudy-guff, 3% information.

Thanks for the link - and good pun too

PA

  #4   Report Post  
Old January 16th 16, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,357
Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

On 2016\01\16 18:56, Peter Able wrote:
On 16/01/2016 10:23, Recliner wrote:
There was a recent long thread here on the trial at Holborn of
standing on
both sides of the escalator. Apparently the trial was more successful
than
predicted and they're pondering whether and how to escalate it:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...the-escalators



Classic Guardian - 98% pseudy-guff, 3% information.

Thanks for the link - and good pun too

PA


Okay, now I understand it. Few people use the walking side, so telling
would-be standees that they have to stand on the right practically
halves the capacity. But when the escalators are quiet it's quicker to
allow people to walk, so I hope standing on both sides becomes a peak
hour rule rather than an all-day one.
  #5   Report Post  
Old January 16th 16, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 70
Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

Basil Jet wrote:

On 2016\01\16 18:56, Peter Able wrote:
On 16/01/2016 10:23, Recliner wrote:
There was a recent long thread here on the trial at Holborn of
standing on
both sides of the escalator. Apparently the trial was more
successful than
predicted and they're pondering whether and how to escalate it:


http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...the-escalators



Classic Guardian - 98% pseudy-guff, 3% information.

Thanks for the link - and good pun too

PA


Okay, now I understand it. Few people use the walking side, so
telling would-be standees that they have to stand on the right
practically halves the capacity. But when the escalators are quiet
it's quicker to allow people to walk, so I hope standing on both
sides becomes a peak hour rule rather than an all-day one.


The article says one escalator will remain as normal, so if there are
two up escalators, you would have three of the four sides for standing,
while still leaving one side free for walking.

Peter Smyth


  #6   Report Post  
Old January 16th 16, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,357
Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

On 2016\01\16 19:37, Peter Smyth wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

On 2016\01\16 18:56, Peter Able wrote:
On 16/01/2016 10:23, Recliner wrote:
There was a recent long thread here on the trial at Holborn of
standing on
both sides of the escalator. Apparently the trial was more
successful than
predicted and they're pondering whether and how to escalate it:


http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...the-escalators



Classic Guardian - 98% pseudy-guff, 3% information.

Thanks for the link - and good pun too

PA


Okay, now I understand it. Few people use the walking side, so
telling would-be standees that they have to stand on the right
practically halves the capacity. But when the escalators are quiet
it's quicker to allow people to walk, so I hope standing on both
sides becomes a peak hour rule rather than an all-day one.


The article says one escalator will remain as normal, so if there are
two up escalators, you would have three of the four sides for standing,
while still leaving one side free for walking.


That'll never work. Maybe if they made the walking side red-hot.

  #7   Report Post  
Old January 16th 16, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\01\16 19:37, Peter Smyth wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

On 2016\01\16 18:56, Peter Able wrote:
On 16/01/2016 10:23, Recliner wrote:
There was a recent long thread here on the trial at Holborn of
standing on
both sides of the escalator. Apparently the trial was more
successful than
predicted and they're pondering whether and how to escalate it:


http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...the-escalators



Classic Guardian - 98% pseudy-guff, 3% information.

Thanks for the link - and good pun too

PA


Okay, now I understand it. Few people use the walking side, so
telling would-be standees that they have to stand on the right
practically halves the capacity. But when the escalators are quiet
it's quicker to allow people to walk, so I hope standing on both
sides becomes a peak hour rule rather than an all-day one.


The article says one escalator will remain as normal, so if there are
two up escalators, you would have three of the four sides for standing,
while still leaving one side free for walking.


That'll never work. Maybe if they made the walking side red-hot.


As the article says, they'd use a colour code on the steps and moving
armrest to indicate a non-walking up escalator. But it would take a lot of
public education to get it to work.

  #8   Report Post  
Old January 16th 16, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,083
Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 21:04:30 on Sat, 16 Jan 2016, Recliner
remarked:
The article says one escalator will remain as normal, so if there are
two up escalators, you would have three of the four sides for standing,
while still leaving one side free for walking.


That'll never work. Maybe if they made the walking side red-hot.


As the article says, they'd use a colour code on the steps and moving
armrest to indicate a non-walking up escalator. But it would take a lot of
public education to get it to work.


Of course, when escalators are not busy, people also walk up the right
hand side.
--
Roland Perry


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No walking on Holborn's escalators - trial Recliner[_3_] London Transport 5 March 29th 16 12:22 PM
New Holborn standing escalator trial Recliner[_3_] London Transport 14 March 11th 16 02:00 PM
No more walking up escalators at Holborn Clive Page[_3_] London Transport 73 December 8th 15 08:27 PM
Third seats and standing room on commuter rail carriages Tim Roll-Pickering London Transport 12 July 7th 09 11:37 PM
Standing on trains MaxB London Transport 15 April 22nd 07 10:50 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017