Old January 24th 16, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another spelling mistake on the Tube

On 2016\01\24 11:36, tim..... wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:09:49 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Yes, very well spotted. You are right.

I got it

but only because I couldn't see anything else wrong and I thought it a
bit picky

Same here. I wouldn't see anything wrong if I saw the sign in real life.
Internet use makes it impossible to keep British English and American
English distinct in my head.

Old January 24th 16, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-01-24 11:36:02 +0000, tim..... said:

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:09:49 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Yes, very well spotted. You are right.

I got it

but only because I couldn't see anything else wrong and I thought it a
bit picky

The debasement of our language by Americans a 'bit picky'?

You'll be 'reaching out' soon.

E.

Old January 24th 16, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Old January 24th 16, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:33:55 +0000, eastender

On 2016-01-24 11:36:02 +0000, tim..... said:

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:09:49 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Yes, very well spotted. You are right.

I got it

but only because I couldn't see anything else wrong and I thought it a
bit picky

The debasement of our language by Americans a 'bit picky'?

Of course English has never been debased in the East End. :-)

You'll be 'reaching out' soon.

E.

Old January 24th 16, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

Internet use makes it impossible to keep British English and
American English distinct in my head.

That problem has been around since the rise of Hollywood.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old January 24th 16, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Old January 24th 16, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:45:50 on Sun, 24 Jan
2016, Basil Jet remarked:

Internet use makes it impossible to keep British English and American
English distinct in my head.

Here's one I heard the other day in a transport context:

Q: Do you mind if I drive your car
A: Yes (and an implied 'so go ahead')

Whereas in British English it would probably mean "yes I do mind, please
don't even think about sitting in the driving seat".
Old January 24th 16, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"
Old January 24th 16, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 08:06:28 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

Almost as bad as "Have got" when "Have" is sufficient.