Old January 27th 16, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another spelling mistake on the Tube

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 14:17:42 on Wed, 27 Jan
2016, Someone Somewhere remarked:

Quantas and Emirates codeshare, of course. When I flew to Brisbane it
was on Emirates.

Quantas?

A popular Australian airline m'lud.

No U

Q ueensland
A nd
N orthern Territory
A erial
S ervices

Geddit?

--
Bryan Morris
Public Key http://www.pgp.uk.demon.net - 0xCC6237E9

Old January 27th 16, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Bryan Morris
writes
Q ueensland
A nd
N orthern
T erritory
A erial
S ervices

Even
Old January 27th 16, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:52:13 on Wed, 27 Jan
2016, Bryan Morris remarked:

Quantas?

A popular Australian airline m'lud.

No U

Q ueensland
A nd
N orthern Territory
A erial
S ervices

Geddit?

Oh, is that all. Rule #1: any response to a posting about a spelling
mistake will have a spelling mistake in it.
Old January 27th 16, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 16:12:33 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
I know what you mean though - it is possible just to be too
deferential but given the wide range of people who fly it's almost
impossible to get it right. What we might find too polite will not be
sufficiently grovelling to some overblown celebrity or politician
flying first class.

It's the same in some airline lounges. Blink and your half full glass
and plate are whisked away as if this is what you wanted. All that
causes is waste and me being grumpy.

Don't fly first or business class then and you won't have that problem. You
can fly economy and wait in McDonalds like everyone else where you get to
choose when you throw your drinks carton away.

I don't recall passing a McDonalds on the way to the business class lounges
in any airports.

Istanbul Ataturk. You have to pass next to the Burger King & assorted
other fast-food outlets to take the escalator up to the lounges.

I also seem to recall at Sabiha Gokcen the Turkish Airlines 1st class
lounge is next to McDonalds & the business lounge is accessed via a sports
bar (although in both cases there is an escalator you can take to get there
avoiding fast food.) Although now I have a nagging doubt that the business
lounge may have moved to the gate level the last time I was there.

HTH .

(Something from Hils about rentier capitalists must be on its way,
surely...)

Old January 28th 16, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:44:02 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:46:31 GMT, d wrote:
Don't fly first or business class then and you won't have that problem. You
can fly economy and wait in McDonalds like everyone else where you get to
choose when you throw your drinks carton away.

I've only been upgraded to First twice and very nice it was too even
though having my business class boarding card torn up at gate check in
before being told of the upgrade was something of a fright.

Anyway I haven't flown in years because I can't afford it so I won't
be causing you any undue distress. Being a fat lump I do the decent
thing and go business class so no one has the anguish of having me sit
beside them in economy. Just call me considerate. ;-)

I tend to avoid flying when possible anyway. The whole thing is a miserably
experience from getting up at 5am to get into a stinking minicab to waiting
in a herd for the desk to open, through security, waiting at a gate with
no facilities, sitting in a cramped seat for hours on a plane and then the same
**** at the other end. Give me a train or preferably car any day. Last time
we went to the med we just couldn't be arsed with it and drove there. Obviously
takes much longer but far more relaxing and the trip is part of the holiday.

--
Spud

Old January 28th 16, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:32:02 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:44:02 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:46:31 GMT,
d wrote:
[...]

That absolutely reflects my experience. In the past ten years I must
have driven many thousands of miles within those United States. The
primary aim being to avoid the misery of airports, the TSA, cramped
flights with minimal service, and hours waiting at gates and baggage
carousels.

The five years I lived in Reno, at least twice a year I would do the
nine hours, each way, drive to visit with my friend and business
partner in Anaheim. After work on a Friday evening I would drive to
Bishop or Bakersfield sleep at a Motel and finish the journey the
following morning. Returning would usually be a straight drive thru
the mountains.

Likewise during my contract in Monterey Park, for long Weekends I
would drive home to Tucson. Typically on a Friday evening I would
head for Blythe or Phoenix, and stop for the night. Then continue the
next morning to Tucson.

It was actually a pleasure to be on the open road with my own music,
stopping to eat as required, and enjoying the scenery. All the time
knowing I was not paying the airlines to treat me like a unit of
freight.
Old January 28th 16, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

It isn't only me then :-)

tim

Old January 29th 16, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:34:19 +0000
e27002 aurora wrote:
The five years I lived in Reno, at least twice a year I would do the
nine hours, each way, drive to visit with my friend and business

When they say its a long drive across the pond, they really mean it.
Longest I've done is Toronto to Montreal overnight though we took it in turns
behind the wheel. Not sure I could have done it on my own in one go.

--
Spud

Old January 29th 16, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

e27002 aurora wrote:
The five years I lived in Reno, at least twice a year I would do the
nine hours, each way, drive to visit with my friend and business

When they say its a long drive across the pond, they really mean it.
Longest I've done is Toronto to Montreal overnight though we took it in
turns
behind the wheel. Not sure I could have done it on my own in one go.

It's just over 300 miles, most of it on "open" expressway.

at 50mph that's 6 hours. **** easy for a one day drive

I think you are adding in the difficulty of staying awake when you
unnecessarily choose to do it over night