Old January 29th 16, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The 455 route

Gor blimey. I made a massive mistake. I was at the Purley Tesco, at about 3pm, and I wanted to go to Tooting. But I just missed a 127, by about 30 seconds.

The next 127 was in 29 minutes but a different bus arrived in 1 minute, a 455 to Wallington. I thought that I could take that and possible catch up with the 127, or get another bus.

But the 455 went everywhere. South Croydon, East Croydon and West Croydon AND then back to Purley where we had started from. Luckily, the mad bus stopped at Waddon Marsh and I leapt off and got the Tram. What a relief!

Old January 30th 16, 09:50 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
Gor blimey. I made a massive mistake. I was at the Purley Tesco, at about 3pm, and I wanted to go to Tooting. But I just missed a 127, by about 30 seconds.

The next 127 was in 29 minutes but a different bus arrived in 1 minute, a 455 to Wallington. I thought that I could take that and possible catch up with the 127, or get another bus.

But the 455 went everywhere. South Croydon, East Croydon and West Croydon AND then back to Purley where we had started from. Luckily, the mad bus stopped at Waddon Marsh and I leapt off and got the Tram. What a relief!
Since London has been afflicted with a Mayor and TfL, there are
numerous bus routes that go all round the houses, often along
residential streets that are quite unsuitable for large vehicles,
and waste passengers' time. Gone are the days when you could
judge by the destination board if a bus was appropriate for your
journey.
Old January 30th 16, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/455/?direction=outbound
Old January 30th 16, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:

Offramp;153677 Wrote:
[...]

This route predates the Mayor and had the odd route sine 88.

Croydon has several routes that nearly loop as they cover one old route
into Croydon and another out e.g. 466, 407

--
Mark
Old January 30th 16, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote on 30 Jan 2016 at
10:50 ...
Offramp;153677 Wrote:
Gor blimey. I made a massive mistake. I was at the Purley Tesco, at
about 3pm, and I wanted to go to Tooting. But I just missed a 127, by
about 30 seconds.

The next 127 was in 29 minutes but a different bus arrived in 1 minute,
a 455 to Wallington. I thought that I could take that and possible catch
up with the 127, or get another bus.

But the 455 went everywhere. South Croydon, East Croydon and West
Croydon AND then back to Purley where we had started from. Luckily, the
mad bus stopped at Waddon Marsh and I leapt off and got the Tram. What a
relief!

Since London has been afflicted with a Mayor and TfL, there are
numerous bus routes that go all round the houses, often along
residential streets that are quite unsuitable for large vehicles,
and waste passengers' time.

The bus routes go round the houses because that's where people live,
thus providing a bus service to thousands of people who would have found
it difficult or impossible to reach one of the old routes, or who would
have had to use their cars and helped to clog up the streets. This
seems to me to be a worthwhile improvement.

Gone are the days when you could judge by the destination board if
a bus was appropriate for your journey.

That was because there was often only one route in that general
direction. Isn't it nice to have a more comprehensive service?
--
Richard J.

Old January 31st 16, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
Some are on narrowish roads but many are not and the
only issue would be stop locations where people have drives in front
of their homes.

That "only" rathers assumes that individuals should accept without
complaint the costs to them of providing a social good. I lived near a
bus stop many years ago. The effects extend way beyond access to
drives. The noise (both from passengers and from buses
stopping/starting), litter, damage to fences, and general low-level
anti-social behaviour can be significant. (And that was in days when
teenagers rarely knifed people who objected to their criminal damage.)
TfL may aim to minimise the effects but "not by my front yard" is
understandable.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old January 31st 16, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:49:18 on Sun, 31 Jan
2016, Robin remarked:

Some are on narrowish roads but many are not and the
only issue would be stop locations where people have drives in front
of their homes.

The hazard of having a driveway blocked briefly because a bus has
stopped there seems pretty minimal.

t "only" rathers assumes that individuals should accept without
complaint the costs to them of providing a social good. I lived near a
bus stop many years ago. The effects extend way beyond access to
drives. The noise (both from passengers and from buses
stopping/starting), litter, damage to fences, and general low-level
anti-social behaviour can be significant. (And that was in days when
teenagers rarely knifed people who objected to their criminal damage.)
TfL may aim to minimise the effects but "not by my front yard" is
understandable.

But yes, I've lived near bus stops and it's commonplace for passengers
to use the nearest front garden as a litter bin.
Old January 31st 16, 09:33 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield[_2_] View Post
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:50:34 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

Offramp;153677 Wrote:
[...]

Err many of the "round the houses" routes actually date back well
before the Mayor turned up. Ironically many of them materialised under
Government control and LRT. This is because LRT pulled down bus
operation costs so far that it freed up some resources to try these
newer routes. The advent of minibuses and then the Dennis Dart
midibus also helped enormously. A recently published book
"Privatising London's Buses" by Roger Torode gives a good insight into
what went on and how things developed. There are many contributions
from people directly involved in all the changes and there are some
very illuminating insights as to what happened when more frequent
buses or new routes were tried.

I rather suspect the people who use and benefit from "round the
houses" routes would be horrified at the prospect of losing their
services. There are still too many places that are a long way off the
bus network and where you could put in a bus service to give people
more mobility. Some are on narrowish roads but many are not and the
only issue would be stop locations where people have drives in front
of their homes. I can think of places in Dagenham, Chadwell Heath,
Uxbridge, South Ruislip and Earlsfield which could benefit from bus
services. Some of the above have been proposed by TfL in the past but
the money was lost or councils were unwilling to fund highway changes
to make the bus routes work effectively. To be wholly accurate one or
two schemes were cancelled due to local opposition but opponents tend
to shout louder than people who would actually benefit - all the usual
nonsense about houses vibrating to bits when buses pass, scumbags
using buses to come and rob their homes and kill people, children
being mown down by errant buses, house values plummeting and cars
being damaged.

--
Paul C
I believe you're a Walthamstow resident. I used to know a

I also know very slightly a man who trained to be a bus driver and
who worked that route. He told me it was a nightmare trying to
make progress along Fyfield Road - he didn't need to tell me: I can
see for myself every time I drive around there - and he gave up
after a few weeks.

The Upper Walthamstow scenario typifies the reality of these
routes through residential streets.

1) Previously there had been no widespread clamour for bus
routes to come through Upper Walthamstow. People walked to
either Wood Street or Forest Road or hired a minicab, and the
vast majority of local residents thought there was nothing
unreasonable about the situation.

2) Bus evangelists decided buses should travel these narrow
roads. The decision was not made in response to public
demand but was made without regard for the impact the buses
would have on the area.

3) Now there are traffic jams in Fyfield Road and, inevitably, an
increase in air pollution.

4) Bus evangelists and their supporters pretend that they have
liberated people who were imprisoned in their homes, happily
ignoring the fact that no-one had been imprisoned, no-one had
complained about being imprisoned and that local people had
gone about their business with no great difficulty.

5) The quality of life for the majority has deteriorated, not
become better. They now have to contend with traffic jams,
vehicle fumes and vibration. TfL and the bus fanatics do not
care at all about these adverse consequence.
Old January 31st 16, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29.01.16 19:53, Offramp wrote:
Gor blimey. I made a massive mistake. I was at the Purley Tesco, at about 3pm, and I wanted to go to Tooting. But I just missed a 127, by about 30 seconds.

The next 127 was in 29 minutes but a different bus arrived in 1 minute, a 455 to Wallington. I thought that I could take that and possible catch up with the 127, or get another bus.

But the 455 went everywhere. South Croydon, East Croydon and West Croydon AND then back to Purley where we had started from. Luckily, the mad bus stopped at Waddon Marsh and I leapt off and got the Tram. What a relief!

The 242 is a shining example of that, IMHO.
Old January 31st 16, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 00:29:06 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

Some are on narrowish roads but many are not and the
only issue would be stop locations where people have drives in front
of their homes.

A few years ago some routes were "hail and ride", i.e. there were
sections of route without fixed bus stops, but as far as I am aware
these no longer exist. Was this an experiment which was judged to have
failed?

--
John Ray