Old February 4th 16, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Contactless and revenue checks

Its easy for the revenue guys little handheld machine to check a valid
oyster card or not since the data is held on the card. But how do they deal with
contactless bank cards? The card itself will have no knowledge of the journey
and I doubt these devices have a wifi connection to TfL HQ to check if the
bank account has any money in it and whether the card has been touched in etc
so how does it work? Or not?

--
Spud

Old February 4th 16, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The RID, the new Revenue Inspection Device, checks only that the contactless card has been used to enter the system. It says PASSED or FAILED and gives a serial number unrelated to the card number. No details of the card are kept in the RID.
Old February 4th 16, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 03:58:29 -0800 (PST)
Offramp wrote:
The RID, the new Revenue Inspection Device, checks only that the contactless
card has been used to enter the system. It says PASSED or FAILED and gives a

But how does it know? Does it have a 3G or wifi link to head office? This
information certainly won't be stored on the bank card.

--
Spud

Old February 4th 16, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:07:13 on Thu, 4 Feb
2016, d remarked:

As for "burner cards" (I've got two of them) that's just a cost of doing

Burner cards?

Prepay cards - I've got two and one has zero on it the other about a
tenner.

Might get one of them. They issued by your bank or can you just but them
somewhere?

It's hard to find contactless ones, but I got an "Orange" card (yes, the
mobile phone company) but they recently threw in the towel[1] and the
business has been rebranded:
http://www.myoptimumcard.co.uk/

They'd have to trace the card owner through the bank first. I very much doubt
the bank would oblidge them without a warrant and if its a foreign bank they
can forget it.

Given that the police and the banks run a joint card-fraud operation, I
suspect that it wouldn't be as hard as you think (and there are special

Ah, but I doubt NOT using your card when you should have counts as card fraud
as far as the banks are concerned.

No, but doing a runner after failing to have the funds loaded, when they
later try to charge the card, might be.

[1] As they also did with their Film-Wednesdays incentive.