Old May 5th 16, 07:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow runway will create £16bn

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 00:27:53 on Thu, 5 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I don't think the runway has moved much - the eastern end is stubbornly
just west of the M4 spur. Apart from moving the terminal from near that
spur to west of T5, the plan which may be the latest one doesn't require
the M25/M4 junction to be rebuilt - which may or may not be part of the
OP's £16bn.

It is further to the west. See chapters 7 and 8 in this, which I think is
the latest, document which describes the plan the Airports Commission
prefers:
http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...in_further.pdf

It would appear that I had latched onto a plan with the Northwest runway
in that same place, but the terminal at Sipson. Must have been an
intermediate idea.

the West terminal station(s) will have two more platforms. I see they
envisage the western/southern rail links having a combined 10 (4+6) tph
by 2040.

Two more than 2 plus 2 plus secret-two?

It's a bit vague on whether the western/southern links are standalone,
or though trains with double-counting of most of the HEx/Crossrail ones.
Although a train arriving from London and departing to Reading could in
some sense be called two-destinations-per-hour.

I'm puzzled how they have a direct rail link to Sheffield (and only
Sheffield) on p35.

Old May 5th 16, 07:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I read it to mean four through tph on the existing HEx platforms, running
to the northwest (Reading, etc), plus six tph terminators from the
southwest on the hidden pair.

I went along yesterday to do some track-bashing under Heathrow and will
post some pics later today.

I'm puzzled how they have a direct rail link to Sheffield (and only
Sheffield) on p35.

All the long distance stuff looks no more than speculation, as it's really
nothing to do with HAL Ltd. Once the connections are in, it's up to the
TOCs and the DfT how they're used.

Old May 5th 16, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 07:44:02 on Thu, 5 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:
I'm puzzled how they have a direct rail link to Sheffield (and only
Sheffield) on p35.

All the long distance stuff looks no more than speculation, as it's really
nothing to do with HAL Ltd. Once the connections are in, it's up to the
TOCs and the DfT how they're used.

Erm, they are showing various destinations with a connection at Old Oak
Common for HS2, but this one bizarre through train to Sheffield (which
by implication doesn't service any of the other destinations).
Old May 5th 16, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 May 2016 11:11:57 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 07:44:02 on Thu, 5 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:
I'm puzzled how they have a direct rail link to Sheffield (and only
Sheffield) on p35.

All the long distance stuff looks no more than speculation, as it's really
nothing to do with HAL Ltd. Once the connections are in, it's up to the
TOCs and the DfT how they're used.

Erm, they are showing various destinations with a connection at Old Oak
Common for HS2, but this one bizarre through train to Sheffield (which
by implication doesn't service any of the other destinations).

Yes, agreed, it looks like a typo or misunderstanding. Maybe it was
indeed confusion with Shenfield, as Colin suggested?
Old May 5th 16, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 May 2016 18:32:20 +0100, Phil wrote:

On 03/05/16 09:30, Recliner wrote:
Phil wrote:
On 02/05/16 10:32, Basil Jet wrote:
... with a siding that Liverpool Central doesn't have. My point was that
Liverpool Central seems to cope with a more intensive service than is
proposed for T5, without any siding.

A pedant points out that Liverpool Central does have a reversing siding.
But your comments still stand as it is not used to reverse the normal
service.

Do they run as three-car units, or as two units coupled together?

The reversers are usually 3-car in my experience.

Of course, if they don't use a siding, and therefore don't need to be
cleared out, it doesn't actually matter how long they are.

However, I note that reversing Heathrow Connect and Express trains
have a security inspection, so waiting pax have to wait on the
platform before being allowed to board.