Old May 8th 16, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Thameslink indicators

Clive Page wrote:
On 06/05/2016 21:59, Lew 1 wrote:
I do like the new train indicators at St Pancras and Farringdon...

See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1dp4qf7ug...%2051.jpg?dl=0

Certainly can't be worse then the unclear mess we had before.

I do hope these become the new 'standard' - they are exceptionally clear.

Yes, noticed them last week, and agree that they are clearer. But I'm
not sure they give as much information as the old ones.

Where does it tell you how many carriages each service has? This
information used to be in the pocket timetable, but Thameslink have just
decided not to print them any more.

Yes it does.

Where does it tell you whether the train has both classes or just
standard class? (Useful even to those like me who only travel 2nd class
but like to sit in a 1st class seat on a train which is deemed not to
have any).

Yes they do in the same manner as the old ones. (Where you can see a
message about the status of the London Overground in the image above)

It scrolls 'A Thameslink service formed of 8 coaches. First class is at the
front. There is a good service operating on all London Underground lines. A
trolley service of drinks and light refreshments is available on this
train.'

Ok, maybe not that last one...

And when services are badly disrupted (which never happens on
Thameslink, except almost every day) giving a bare list of later
services without any indication of stopping patterns is not very helpful.

Since the Drivers don't usually know that detail during disruption, I don't
hold out much hope of the indicators having it.

And, having only seen them underground at SPILL, I wonder how well they
will work in bright sunlight.

Well, the ones in the open air section of Farringdon seem OK.

Lew

Old May 9th 16, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:34:43 on Sat, 7 May
2016, D A Stocks remarked:

There is still quite a lot of work to be completed at London Bridge and
Bermondsey before the new services can run because there isn't capacity
south of the river to run a full service north of the river - the trains
need somewhere to come from and go to. AIUI this work is proceeding to
schedule but won't be complete until 2018.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...ervice-changes

Is it still "early 2016" (perhaps May 15th is, officially)?

"The first new trains start to run on the Thameslink route from
early 2016."

There are a fair number of trains sitting in the sidings at Three
Bridges, and they sometimes venture out on to the main line.

In passenger service?

I doubt it. I think part of the problem is that there is nothing in common
between the existing and new fleets in terms of maintenance and depot
locations, so doing a 'new train for old' substition might not be as trivial
an exercise as one would wish. The current timetable has a Three Bridges to
Bedford stopping service so this might provide an opportunity. There may
also be an argument for waiting until the route is available so that they
can test and commission ATO through the core before putting the trains into
service.

--
DAS

Old May 9th 16, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:11:06 on Mon, 9 May
[...]

All those issues should have been known about years ago, well before the
current promises to start the new trains from whenever "early 2016"
expires.

Old May 9th 16, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 8 May 2016 09:39:02 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:34:43 on Sat, 7 May
2016, D A Stocks remarked:

There is still quite a lot of work to be completed at London Bridge and
Bermondsey before the new services can run because there isn't capacity
south of the river to run a full service north of the river - the
trains need somewhere to come from and go to. AIUI this work is
proceeding to schedule but won't be complete until 2018.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...ervice-changes

Is it still "early 2016" (perhaps May 15th is, officially)?

"The first new trains start to run on the Thameslink route from
early 2016."

"Siemens-built Class 700 trains will begin to
enter service on the Thameslink route later this spring." says
http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/abo...train-service/
which was published on Thursday.

The new screens are to include diagrams showing where on a train first
class is, bicycles should be etc.
Old May 9th 16, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:36:02 on
Mon, 9 May 2016, David Walters remarked:
Is it still "early 2016" (perhaps May 15th is, officially)?

"The first new trains start to run on the Thameslink route from
early 2016."

"Siemens-built Class 700 trains will begin to
enter service on the Thameslink route later this spring." says
http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/abo...train-service/
which was published on Thursday.

So all we need to know is whether they are using the Astronomical[1],
Meterological[2] or Parliamentary[3] definition of "Spring".

If the latter the "late Spring" is traditionally the very last day, and
thus "early Spring" can be anything up until that!

Or even the Summer timetable on the 15th May.

[1] June Solstice
[2] End of May
[3] Traditionally perhaps the session ending 26th June this year,
although Spring may be over on the rearranged day of the Queen's
Speech now (18th May)

Old May 9th 16, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/05/2016 15:15, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2016 20:59:30 +0000 (UTC), Lew 1 wrote:

I do like the new train indicators at St Pancras and Farringdon...

See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1dp4qf7ug...%2051.jpg?dl=0

Certainly can't be worse then the unclear mess we had before.

I do hope these become the new 'standard' - they are exceptionally clear.

Lew

A shame that they're sized so that full station names have to be
abbreviated on the "stations served" list. A bit poor to have "West
Hamsptead Thm", "Mill Hill Bway" and "Luton Airport Pway".

The minimal information provided for later departures needs improvement.
The Bedfords illustrated are alternately "all stations" and "limited
stops" umtil afetr midnight - some way of indicating this should be devised.

However I am pleased to report that the message "Stand Clear- Not for
Public Use" was displayed clearly! Pity the train concerned was a
normal service. (Regulars will recognise this as a late evening game
played occasionally by the operators.)

---

Old May 9th 16, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 16:34:43 on Sat, 7
May 2016, D A Stocks remarked:

There is still quite a lot of work to be completed at London Bridge and
Bermondsey before the new services can run because there isn't capacity
south of the river to run a full service north of the river - the
trains need somewhere to come from and go to. AIUI this work is
proceeding to schedule but won't be complete until 2018.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...ervice-changes

Is it still "early 2016" (perhaps May 15th is, officially)?

"The first new trains start to run on the Thameslink route
from
early 2016."

There are a fair number of trains sitting in the sidings at Three
Bridges, and they sometimes venture out on to the main line.

In passenger service?

700110 is on the GN, on the ERTMS testing facility between Hertford North
and Stevenage. It travelled via the NLL though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 11th 16, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-05-09 21:24:26 +0000, Peter Lawrence said:

The minimal information provided for later departures needs
improvement. The Bedfords illustrated are alternately "all stations"
and "limited stops" umtil afetr midnight - some way of indicating this
should be devised.

However I am pleased to report that the message "Stand Clear- Not for
Public Use" was displayed clearly! Pity the train concerned was a
normal service. (Regulars will recognise this as a late evening game
played occasionally by the operators.)

They do look better than the very 1980s looking LCD ones there
previously. But I would prefer they just showed "on time" or "Exptd
NN:NN" rather than the countdown.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old May 24th 16, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:39:02 on Sun, 8 May
2016, Roland Perry remarked:
There is still quite a lot of work to be completed at London Bridge
and Bermondsey before the new services can run because there isn't
capacity south of the river to run a full service north of the river -
the trains need somewhere to come from and go to. AIUI this work is
proceeding to schedule but won't be complete until 2018.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...ervice-changes

Is it still "early 2016" (perhaps May 15th is, officially)?

"The first new trains start to run on the Thameslink route from
early 2016."

There are a fair number of trains sitting in the sidings at Three
Bridges, and they sometimes venture out on to the main line.

In passenger service?

There's been a massive flurry of Tweets from Thameslink about their new
trains today. Still not completely clear whether or not there are (m)any
in passenger service though. Did a trip from Blackfriars to SPILL to see
if any were in evidence, but none were.

The unit I was on was a bright red Electrostar - is that ex-Gatex?
Old May 24th 16, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

They had a scheduled launch event today at Blackfriars. I notice that one
of the pictured doors has a cycle graphic on it, especially for you.
https://mobile.twitter.com/TLRailUK/...123457/photo/2

The unit I was on was a bright red Electrostar - is that ex-Gatex?

Future GatEx.