Old May 6th 16, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Thameslink indicators

I do like the new train indicators at St Pancras and Farringdon...

See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1dp4qf7ug...%2051.jpg?dl=0

Certainly can't be worse then the unclear mess we had before.

I do hope these become the new 'standard' - they are exceptionally clear.

Lew

Old May 6th 16, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Lew 1 wrote:

I do like the new train indicators at St Pancras and Farringdon...

See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1dp4qf7ug...%2051.jpg?dl=0

Certainly can't be worse then the unclear mess we had before.

I do hope these become the new 'standard' - they are exceptionally clear.

Yes, that's a big improvement. I suppose they will really be needed in a
couple of years or so, when there's a much wider range of TL routes and
destinations served from those platforms (both north and south bound).

Old May 7th 16, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/05/2016 22:20, Recliner wrote:
Lew 1 wrote:

I do like the new train indicators at St Pancras and Farringdon...

See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1dp4qf7ug...%2051.jpg?dl=0

Certainly can't be worse then the unclear mess we had before.

I do hope these become the new 'standard' - they are exceptionally clear.

Yes, that's a big improvement. I suppose they will really be needed in a
couple of years or so, when there's a much wider range of TL routes and
destinations served from those platforms (both north and south bound).

Reminds me of the time when trains from Cambridge when destinations
included 'Liverpool' & 'Liverpool St' and 'Kings Cross' & 'Kings Lynn'
Used to confuse tourists...
Old May 7th 16, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06.05.16 22:20, Recliner wrote:
Lew 1 wrote:

I do like the new train indicators at St Pancras and Farringdon...

See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1dp4qf7ug...%2051.jpg?dl=0

Certainly can't be worse then the unclear mess we had before.

I do hope these become the new 'standard' - they are exceptionally clear.

Yes, that's a big improvement. I suppose they will really be needed in a
couple of years or so, when there's a much wider range of TL routes and
destinations served from those platforms (both north and south bound).

A few questions:

What's with the deal with the tunnels just north of SPI, BTW? AIUI, they
will allow services out to Cambridge? Is there an ETA on when they will
turn wheels in anger?

I have also heard that TfL is due to eventually take over the Thameslink
franchise. If that's the case, then when is that due to happen and why
did it not happen earlier?

Are there any prospects for the now-shuttered Kings Cross Thameslink?
Old May 7th 16, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:45:55 on Sat, 7 May 2016,
Jim Chisholm remarked:

Reminds me of the time when trains from Cambridge when destinations
included 'Liverpool' & 'Liverpool St' and 'Kings Cross' & 'Kings Lynn'
Used to confuse tourists...

Nowadays it's Lime St Liverpool (at those stations which still have
direct trains). And for some at least "London Kings Cross/London
Liverpool St".

When did they change the auto-announcers to use "train" rather than
"service"? While the humans still announce "Platform 3 is the East
Midlands Trains service to..." the computer now says "East Midlands
Trains train to..."

Old May 7th 16, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:16:36 on Sat, 7 May 2016,
LHS1 remarked:
A few questions:

What's with the deal with the tunnels just north of SPI, BTW? AIUI,
they will allow services out to Cambridge? Is there an ETA on when they
will turn wheels in anger?

Thameslink 3000, the famous project which never ever seems to be quite
completed.

Current franchise holder Govia originally predicted May 2018 for
through-running, however I've seen some back-sliding to Dec 2018. The
spin-doctors said the necessary trains would be in place by "Spring
2016", but it's getting perilously close to summer.

But these will be the slower trains - the ex-Cambridge-Cruisers will
continue to terminate at Kings Cross. But even that plan is tuning to
dust at the edges, with the promised 2tph north of Cambridge falling
into a Network Rail funding black hole (Ely North junction remodelling).

I have also heard that TfL is due to eventually take over the
Thameslink franchise. If that's the case, then when is that due to
happen and why did it not happen earlier?

I don't think the want to take over all of it.

Are there any prospects for the now-shuttered Kings Cross Thameslink?

No, the platforms are too short and too narrow.
Old May 7th 16, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:16:36 on Sat, 7 May 2016,
LHS1 remarked:
A few questions:

What's with the deal with the tunnels just north of SPI, BTW? AIUI, they
will allow services out to Cambridge? Is there an ETA on when they will
turn wheels in anger?

Thameslink 3000, the famous project which never ever seems to be quite
completed.

Current franchise holder Govia originally predicted May 2018 for
through-running, however I've seen some back-sliding to Dec 2018. The
spin-doctors said the necessary trains would be in place by "Spring 2016",
but it's getting perilously close to summer.

There are a fair number of trains sitting in the sidings at Three Bridges,
and they sometimes venture out on to the main line.

There is still quite a lot of work to be completed at London Bridge and
Bermondsey before the new services can run because there isn't capacity
south of the river to run a full service north of the river - the trains
need somewhere to come from and go to. AIUI this work is proceeding to
schedule but won't be complete until 2018.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...ervice-changes

--
DAS

Old May 8th 16, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:34:43 on Sat, 7 May
2016, D A Stocks remarked:

There is still quite a lot of work to be completed at London Bridge and
Bermondsey before the new services can run because there isn't capacity
south of the river to run a full service north of the river - the
trains need somewhere to come from and go to. AIUI this work is
proceeding to schedule but won't be complete until 2018.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...ervice-changes

Is it still "early 2016" (perhaps May 15th is, officially)?

"The first new trains start to run on the Thameslink route from
early 2016."

There are a fair number of trains sitting in the sidings at Three
Bridges, and they sometimes venture out on to the main line.

In passenger service?
Old May 8th 16, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/05/2016 21:59, Lew 1 wrote:
I do like the new train indicators at St Pancras and Farringdon...

See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1dp4qf7ug...%2051.jpg?dl=0

Certainly can't be worse then the unclear mess we had before.

I do hope these become the new 'standard' - they are exceptionally clear.

Yes, noticed them last week, and agree that they are clearer. But I'm
not sure they give as much information as the old ones.

Where does it tell you how many carriages each service has? This
information used to be in the pocket timetable, but Thameslink have just
decided not to print them any more.

Where does it tell you whether the train has both classes or just
standard class? (Useful even to those like me who only travel 2nd class
but like to sit in a 1st class seat on a train which is deemed not to
have any).

And when services are badly disrupted (which never happens on
Thameslink, except almost every day) giving a bare list of later
services without any indication of stopping patterns is not very helpful.

And, having only seen them underground at SPILL, I wonder how well they
will work in bright sunlight.

--
Clive Page
Old May 8th 16, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Page" wrote in message
On 06/05/2016 21:59, Lew 1 wrote:
I do like the new train indicators at St Pancras and Farringdon...

See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1dp4qf7ug...%2051.jpg?dl=0

Certainly can't be worse then the unclear mess we had before.

I do hope these become the new 'standard' - they are exceptionally clear.

Yes, noticed them last week, and agree that they are clearer. But I'm not
sure they give as much information as the old ones.

Where does it tell you how many carriages each service has? This
information used to be in the pocket timetable, but Thameslink have just
decided not to print them any more.

Where does it tell you whether the train has both classes or just standard
class? (Useful even to those like me who only travel 2nd class but like
to sit in a 1st class seat on a train which is deemed not to have any).

That will be largely irrelevant in 2 years time because all trains for a
particular service will (should?) be the same length and have the same
accomodation.

--
DAS