Old May 15th 16, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq's proposed new anti-pollution measures

In message , at 17:41:56 on Sat, 14 May
2016, tim... remarked:

I don't think that, not giving a list of all modes with applicable
manufacturing dates (as, for example, the German equivalent site does)
is "opaque".

This is one occasion where a lookup by numberplate would be appropriate.

Although I've not had a lot of luck with such searches recently.
According to the gadget in Halfords last week my car only has rear wiper
blades (I wanted front) and only has headlight bulbs (I wanted a brake
light).

Old May 15th 16, 07:55 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

David Cameron has just told us we don't have corruption
in this country. It's only in those "fantastically corrupt"
foreign countries.

I have no experience of life and I believe everything my
Prime Minister tells me.
Old May 15th 16, 08:43 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield[_2_] View Post
On Sat, 14 May 2016 10:43:50 +0200, Robin9
wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;155707']New mayor Sadiq has announced that he will launch a formal
policy
consultation in a matter of weeks on a major package of measures to
tackle
air pollution in London.

I don't use buses much so I'm ignorant about the routes
and the use of them. I know that numerous buses run along
Oxford Street and clog up that road, but I don't know where
they go to, how heavily they are used and what percentage
of passengers travel right through Oxford Strret and beyond.

So, I have a question for the bus experts here. Is it a feasible
option a) to re-diagram bus routes so that bus journeys begin
and end at Marble Arch or New Oxford Street/St. Giles Circus
so that those buses do not travel along Oxford Street at all,
and b) design a hybrid trolley bus with a small petrol engine,
and run a trolley bus shuttle service along Oxford Street - with
overhead wiring installed of course - using the petrol engine
only to move the bus to and from the bus depot?

Short answer is No to turning hundreds of buses an hour at Marble Arch
and TCR. Existing stands are full. TfL have stated in the past that
you simply cannot do it.

If you are pedestrianising Oxford St then you won't have any vehicles
in it so discussions about trolleybus shuttles are irrelevant. Also if
you can't turn diesel buses at TCR and Marble Arch how the heck do you
turn a trolleybus shuttle? Anyway TfL hate trolleybuses and the
notion of fixed infrastructure in the West End despite it being the
right answer (A large tram network would easily clean the air up but
no one will countenance the short term disruption to create it).

If the Mayor and Westminster City Council pedestrianise Oxford St it
will mean the destruction of Central London's bus network as we know
it (IMO, of course). Long established links and service patterns will
have to be destroyed to create a vastly different network with, I
reckon, far fewer routes because the remaining road network will not
be able to cope if you simply try to route all the existing Oxford St
services around the "edges" of the Oxford St area. This will also have
considerable ramifications for bus travellers in Zones 2 and 3 who
currently benefit from frequent services that run from Zone 1.

Bear in mind that TCR itself is shortly to be turned two way but with
a taxi ban during the day and remaining local traffic diverted into a
2 way Gower St. It is also proposed to turn Baker St / Gloucester
Place into 2 way roads rather than have a gyratory system as now. This
proposal has run into substantial local opposition from residents. I
reckon that will look like a "walk in the park" compared to any
proposals about Oxford St. Can't wait to see how the black cab trade
react given they can access Oxford St but almost certainly won't be
able to in future.

If people think the tube is busy in Zone 1 just wait until the bus
network is destroyed so people can go shopping in Oxford St.

This document gives some facts and figures about Oxford St and the
traffic in it.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/londons-st...ters-3-6-4.pdf

I wonder how much TfL will be forced to take a different view from
that stated in their own document?

We live in interesting times as some Chinese bloke might have said at
some point.

--
Paul C
Many thanks for your response. A few points:

My suggestion was in ignorance of this foolhardy idea
of pedestrianising Oxford Street. Does Westminster
Council really believe that making shoppers carry all
their parcels, even large, heavy ones, will persuade
people back to Oxford Street? That's counter intuitive,
to put it mildly.

Clearly, if terminating bus services at Marble Arch and
New Oxford Street is impracticable, those bus services
would have to continue to somewhere else. That's not
necessarily an unworkable idea.

Turning a trolley bus shuttle service around would not be
difficult if overhead cables are strung up all round the
Marble Arch/Cumberland Gate gyratory system and the New
Oxford Street/Dyott Street/St. Giles High Street gyratory.
Because such a short distance is involved, there would be
no need for "rest breaks" at the end of each journey and
no need to keep to a strict timetable, so buses would not
need to park up at either end of Oxford Street.

I didn't know TfL had an abhorrence of trolley buses. Why do
they? TfL has no experience of them because they were
eliminated when I was still a boy and, sadly, that was a long
time ago.

I also didn't know about the plans to sabotage Gloucester Place,
Baker Street, Tottenham Court Road and Gower Street. I'm not
at all surprised to find local opposition to this nonsense. I've
expressed my opinions in the past about TfL's motives for
changing roads and their love of conflicting traffic flows and
innumerable traffic lights. (David Cameron: you are so naïve)
The plan to return these roads to two way running will of course
be ruinous. I do hope the new Mayor's reservations about TfL
will prompt him to intervene and to replace the vandals at TfL
with responsible, public minded people.
Old May 15th 16, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-05-15 06:59:59 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 17:41:56 on Sat, 14 May
2016, tim... remarked:

I don't think that, not giving a list of all modes with applicable
manufacturing dates (as, for example, the German equivalent site does)
is "opaque".

This is one occasion where a lookup by numberplate would be appropriate.

Although I've not had a lot of luck with such searches recently.
According to the gadget in Halfords last week my car only has rear
wiper blades (I wanted front) and only has headlight bulbs (I wanted a
brake light).

I had better luck in Eurocarparts in Wapping the other day for wipers
and some bulbs - the counter guy left his post to go look at our car
and didn't trust what his computer said....

Old May 15th 16, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 2016051510554417217-email@domaincom, at 10:55:44 on Sun, 15
May 2016, eastender remarked:

This is one occasion where a lookup by numberplate would be
appropriate.
Although I've not had a lot of luck with such searches recently.
According to the gadget in Halfords last week my car only has rear
wiper blades (I wanted front) and only has headlight bulbs (I wanted a
brake light).

I had better luck in Eurocarparts in Wapping the other day for wipers
and some bulbs - the counter guy left his post to go look at our car
and didn't trust what his computer said....

I went and got the old bulb and found the right one by eyeball. Ordered
the wiper blades from eBay after being given an eyewatering quote (for
unbranded) from local car accessory shop.
Old May 15th 16, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/05/2016 09:43, Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:

[...]

It is always feasible to cange bus routes, but Oxford Street is about a
mile long between St Giles and Marble Arch.

Would it be practical not to have any buses serving it?

Feel free to shoot me down in flames.

I'd be surprised if TaL operates any buses powered by petrol. It would
be phenomenally expensive.

Diesel has been the fuel for larger vehicles since well before WW2.
Old May 16th 16, 07:25 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNugent[_5_] View Post

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:

[...]

I'd be surprised if TfL operates any buses powered by petrol. It would
be phenomenally expensive.

Diesel has been the fuel for larger vehicles since well before WW2.
Now that it's known that diesel engines emit worse pollutants
than petrol engines, TfL's attitude might change.

My suggestion was the hybrid trolley bus would use the
petrol engine only when running empty between the bus
depot and the West End. When carrying passengers, it
would run on electricity, thus being far cleaner than the
buses using Oxford Street today.
Old May 16th 16, 07:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-05-15 06:59:59 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 17:41:56 on Sat, 14 May
2016, tim... remarked:

I don't think that, not giving a list of all modes with applicable
manufacturing dates (as, for example, the German equivalent site
does) is "opaque".

This is one occasion where a lookup by numberplate would be appropriate.

Although I've not had a lot of luck with such searches recently.
According to the gadget in Halfords last week my car only has rear
wiper blades (I wanted front) and only has headlight bulbs (I wanted a
brake light).

I had better luck in Eurocarparts in Wapping the other day for wipers
and some bulbs - the counter guy left his post to go look at our car and
didn't trust what his computer said....

Slightly off topic, but is that branch of Eurocarparts really in
Wapping? It's north of the Highway and closer to Limehouse station than
anywhere else...
Old May 16th 16, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/05/2016 08:25, Robin9 wrote:
'JNugent[_5_ Wrote:
;155773']On 14/05/2016 09:43, Robin9 wrote:
-
'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:-
--
[...]

Why did you change what I typed?

You didn't even mention that a change had been made.

Diesel has been the fuel for larger vehicles since well before WW2.

Now that it's known that diesel engines emit worse pollutants
than petrol engines, TfL's attitude might change.

There is the little matter of cost.

My suggestion was the hybrid trolley bus would use the
petrol engine only when running empty between the bus
depot and the West End. When carrying passengers, it
would run on electricity, thus being far cleaner than the
buses using Oxford Street today.

Why not just run on electricity all the way?