Old June 10th 16, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Khan fares u-turn

"Graham Murray" wrote

Roland Perry writes:

As it would be unlikely he was promising to freeze the cost of
outboundary travelcards, those who buy inboundary ones are probably
mainly "Londoners".

Though if the cost of outboundary travelcards increases too much it

could become cheaper to get a 'London Terminals' and use Oyster within
London. More likely to happen if you stay within zones 1&2 or only
travel on busses and trams.

But since you can buy an inboundary TC from a outboundary station or start
using Oyster at any interchange station there will be many options.

--
Mike D

Old June 10th 16, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

Did Sadiq ever promise to freeze all fares or only TfL fares? Surely
only the latter, in which case he won't be breaking his promise. He's
a lawyer, so I can't believe he'd promise to freeze something he had
no control over.

The exact wording in the manifesto was:

"I will freeze all TfL fares and charges for the Mayor’s cycle hire
scheme for four years"

Strictly speaking you can argue he is meeting that pledge, however he
certainly wasn't going out of his way to point out it would make no
difference to many commuters.

For example the page below doesn't mention that for residents of Bexley
or Bromley the freeze will have virtually no effect.

http://www.sadiq.london/sam_russell_bexley_bromley

Peter Smyth
Old June 10th 16, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:
Recliner wrote:

Did Sadiq ever promise to freeze all fares or only TfL fares? Surely
only the latter, in which case he won't be breaking his promise. He's
a lawyer, so I can't believe he'd promise to freeze something he had
no control over.

The exact wording in the manifesto was:

"I will freeze all TfL fares and charges for the Mayor’s cycle hire
scheme for four years"

Strictly speaking you can argue he is meeting that pledge, however he
certainly wasn't going out of his way to point out it would make no
difference to many commuters.

For example the page below doesn't mention that for residents of Bexley
or Bromley the freeze will have virtually no effect.

http://www.sadiq.london/sam_russell_bexley_bromley

True, though he does correctly say, "Sadiq Khan has a clear and costed plan
to freeze all TfL fares for the next four years, so you will not pay a
penny more in 2020 than you do in 2016."

He certainly doesn't say he will freeze *all* fares, only all TfL fares.

Old June 12th 16, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/06/2016 18:52, Peter Smyth wrote:
Recliner wrote:

Did Sadiq ever promise to freeze all fares or only TfL fares? Surely
only the latter, in which case he won't be breaking his promise. He's
a lawyer, so I can't believe he'd promise to freeze something he had
no control over.

The exact wording in the manifesto was:

"I will freeze all TfL fares and charges for the Mayor’s cycle hire
scheme for four years"

Strictly speaking you can argue he is meeting that pledge, however he
certainly wasn't going out of his way to point out it would make no
difference to many commuters.

For example the page below doesn't mention that for residents of Bexley
or Bromley the freeze will have virtually no effect.

http://www.sadiq.london/sam_russell_bexley_bromley

Peter Smyth

Should they stand by for more of the Livingstonite "supplementary rate"
tactic (charged just as much to Bexley and Bromley residents) in order
to further subsidise fares in the rest of London?
Old June 12th 16, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/06/2016 22:42, Recliner wrote:
Peter Smyth wrote:
Recliner wrote:

[...]

In that case, his promise is a non-sequitur for many Londoners, as
anyone who can remember the "supplementary rates" debacle(s).

For a Bromley or Bexley commuter (and I would guess also for
Kingston-upon-Thames), "[a] plan to freeze all TfL fares for the next
four years, so you will not pay a penny more in 2020 than you do in
2016" is just a lie.
Old June 12th 16, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/06/2016 17:48, JNugent wrote:

On 10/06/2016 22:42, Recliner wrote:
[...]
For example the page below doesn't mention that for residents of Bexley
or Bromley the freeze will have virtually no effect.

http://www.sadiq.london/sam_russell_bexley_bromley

True, though he does correctly say, "Sadiq Khan has a clear and costed
plan to freeze all TfL fares for the next four years, so you will
not pay a penny more in 2020 than you do in 2016."

He certainly doesn't say he will freeze *all* fares, only all TfL fares.

In that case, his promise is a non-sequitur for many Londoners, as
anyone who can remember the "supplementary rates" debacle(s).

For a Bromley or Bexley commuter (and I would guess also for
Kingston-upon-Thames), "[a] plan to freeze all TfL fares for the next
four years, so you will not pay a penny more in 2020 than you do in
2016" is just a lie.

If you are referring to rail fares from Bromley, Bexley or Kingston on
Thames, then these are NR fares not TfL fares. Simple fact.
Old June 12th 16, 10:14 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
[...]

Yes, we all know that; but many non-enthusiasts don't.
When such non-enthusiasts are told "you will not pay a
penny more in 2020 than you do in 2016" they do not analyse
the small print for weasel escape clauses. They take such
promises at face value, and that was what Sadiq Khan was
counting on.