Old June 9th 16, 05:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kahn fares u-turn

It is being reported that the "no ifs not buts" transport fares freeze
has en exposed as undeliverable.

Only applying to journeys made exclusively on TfL metals.

I have no idea how they plan to implement that for interavailable trips
like the one I did earlier this week: Kings Cross St Pancras to
Blackfriars, which you can do both by tube and Thameslink (albeit using
different gatelines at both ends).

Old June 9th 16, 06:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
It is being reported that the "no ifs not buts" transport fares freeze
has en exposed as undeliverable.

Only applying to journeys made exclusively on TfL metals.

I have no idea how they plan to implement that for interavailable trips
like the one I did earlier this week: Kings Cross St Pancras to
Blackfriars, which you can do both by tube and Thameslink (albeit using
different gatelines at both ends).

I presume the freeze will apply only to fares set by TfL. I always assumed
that the freeze would only apply to TfL services, as Khan has no ability to
control non-TfL fares.

I also see he claims to have found enough savings to pay for the first two
years of the freeze, though most of the areas look a bit woolly (apart from
the senior exec pay freeze). For example, reducing agency workers sounds
good, but what happens if you can't replace their presumably valuable
expertise in-house? Do you end up wasting even more money through bad
decisions?

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-rele...s-fares-freeze

Old June 9th 16, 06:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 06:09:52 on Thu, 9 Jun 2016, Recliner
remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
It is being reported that the "no ifs not buts" transport fares freeze
has en exposed as undeliverable.

Only applying to journeys made exclusively on TfL metals.

I have no idea how they plan to implement that for interavailable trips
like the one I did earlier this week: Kings Cross St Pancras to
Blackfriars, which you can do both by tube and Thameslink (albeit using
different gatelines at both ends).

I presume the freeze will apply only to fares set by TfL. I always assumed
that the freeze would only apply to TfL services, as Khan has no ability to
control non-TfL fares.

The impression I get is that it's worse than that, because while TfL may
"set" some fares, they don't get to decide what the non-TfL component
costs. That's an external input.

Thus, another journey I do from time to time - Vauxhall to Westminster
-the ORCATS-alike determinator which much surely exist to apportion the
fare between SWT+TfL (via Waterloo and Jubilee Line) or pure TfL (via
the Victoria and Jubilee lines) must have a component whose revenue
stream is outside their control, viz the National Rail leg from Vauxhall
to Waterloo.

The further out you go, to places like Richmond or Wimbledon, the more
this effect will kick in.

I also see he claims to have found enough savings to pay for the first two
years of the freeze, though most of the areas look a bit woolly (apart from
the senior exec pay freeze). For example, reducing agency workers sounds
good, but what happens if you can't replace their presumably valuable
expertise in-house? Do you end up wasting even more money through bad
decisions?

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-rele...ings-found-to-
fund-mayors-fares-freeze

And if you do things like lay off 100 agency IT contractors, who does
that work? Presumably it's too difficult to recruit permanent
replacements, even that's a category exempt from the hiring freeze.

My own observations of organisations with hiring freezes is that
generally they are too fierce and result in work not being done. This
may have implications for things like further enhancements to the
contactless payments back office.
Old June 9th 16, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

?

There are three PAYG fare scales, and always have been (at least since
NR started accepting Oyster in 2010).

* The TfL fare scale.
* The NR fare scale.
* The through fare scale (NR+TfL journey).

The first is the only one that the Mayor has control over.

Thus for Vauxhall to Westminster, the TfL fare (for travel only on the
Tube) is £2.40 peak or off-peak, or the NR+TfL through fare is £4.10
peak / £3.50 off-peak.
Old June 9th 16, 07:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:08:59 on Thu, 9 Jun 2016,
Mizter T remarked:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

That's OK for single tickets, but what about travelcards (day and
period)? These will be used on a mixture of National Rail and TfL
metals.

Old June 9th 16, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

at a saving of 20K each presumably they aren't going to be laid off, but
(presumably) presented with "employment" contracts.

But then the first year of that saving will disappear into the fees that the
agents charge for a temp to perm transfer

tim

Old June 9th 16, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:13:15 on Thu, 9 Jun 2016,
tim... remarked:
And if you do things like lay off 100 agency IT contractors, who does
that work? Presumably it's too difficult to recruit permanent
replacements, even

if - and we don't know this.

that's a category exempt from the hiring freeze.

at a saving of 20K each presumably they aren't going to be laid off,
but (presumably) presented with "employment" contracts.

Why wouldn't they decide to work for someone else who *is* prepared to
pay the extra? (Or they have philosophical objections to being an
employee).
Old June 9th 16, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/06/2016 08:08, Mizter T wrote:
Thus for Vauxhall to Westminster, the TfL fare (for travel only on the
Tube) is £2.40 peak or off-peak, or the NR+TfL through fare is £4.10
peak / £3.50 off-peak.

These differences, nearly a factor of 2:1 for peak time travel, are
rather excessive, and I've been caught by them one or twice before.
What I wonder is how do they work it out for journeys which one can do
in any of three ways (TfL only, NR only, and both) where there is only a
common gate-line at each end, for example Farringdon to Kentish Town?

--
Clive Page
Old June 9th 16, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:13:15 on Thu, 9 Jun 2016,
tim... remarked:
And if you do things like lay off 100 agency IT contractors, who does
that work? Presumably it's too difficult to recruit permanent
replacements, even

if - and we don't know this.

that's a category exempt from the hiring freeze.

at a saving of 20K each presumably they aren't going to be laid off, but
(presumably) presented with "employment" contracts.

Why wouldn't they decide to work for someone else who *is* prepared to pay
the extra? (Or they have philosophical objections to being an employee).

well they might

But the point is the saving isn't going to made by having 100 fewer of them.

it's going to be made by changing the contractual terms upon which they do
employ that requirement of 100 people

and yes, we all know that the new 100 people may not be as good as the
previous 100 people

whether they can find them or not depends upon what they do

I am personally struggling with why TfL needs 100 IT people, given that the
ticketing system is contracted out to Cubic and many back office services
(payroll etc) will be likewise.

you don't need 100 people to maintain their website, do they?

tim

Old June 9th 16, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." writes:

I am personally struggling with why TfL needs 100 IT people, given
that the ticketing system is contracted out to Cubic and many back
office services (payroll etc) will be likewise.

you don't need 100 people to maintain their website, do they?

Who maintains the IT systems which provide passenger information and
tracking systems? Systems such as those which track the location of all
the TfL busses, operate the 'next bus' displays at stops and the systems
in the control and monitoring offices. Are these in-house or contracted
out?