Old August 3rd 16, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Keygo to expand

Keygo is set to expand to cover Thameslink up to Bedford and Great Northern as far as Huntingdon this autumn. There are also plans to expand its coverage to all TfL services.

https://www.itso.org.uk/wp-content/u...2016-FINAL.pdf

Old August 3rd 16, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
02:50:58 on Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Matthew Dickinson
remarked:

Keygo is set to expand to cover Thameslink up to Bedford and Great Northern
as far as Huntingdon this autumn. There are also plans to expand its coverage to all TfL services.

https://www.itso.org.uk/wp-content/u...2016-FINAL.pdf

Are they rebranding the card? (From theKey to keyGo; with a side measure
of PAYG)

"In the autumn, keyGo will extend to stations in London and all of its
Great Northern and Thameslink routes - providing coverage from Brighton
to Huntingdon."

A nice bit of doublespeak there - last time I looked the GN route went
all the way to Peterborough. So when they say "all GN and Thameslink
routes" they mean "... but only at stations we can be arsed to equip,
thus breaking one of our franchise commitments".
Old August 3rd 16, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

surely the problem with Peterborough is having to avoid the problem of
people using Main line trains and then toughing out as if they have used a
stopping train (which I believe attracts a lower fare)

tim

Old August 3rd 16, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:56:38 on Wed, 3 Aug 2016,
tim... remarked:

"In the autumn, keyGo will extend to stations in London and all of
its Great Northern and Thameslink routes - providing coverage from
Brighton to Huntingdon."

A nice bit of doublespeak there - last time I looked the GN route
went all the way to Peterborough. So when they say "all GN and
Thameslink routes" they mean "... but only at stations we can be
arsed to equip, thus breaking one of our franchise commitments".

surely the problem with Peterborough is having to avoid the problem of
people using Main line trains and then toughing out as if they have
used a stopping train (which I believe attracts a lower fare)

No, it's because Peterborough is an East Coast managed station and GTR
haven't sorted out integrating their readers with the gateline.

People catching the East Coast trains on a cheaper "GN only" ticket are
no more of a problem than now with paper tickets. Sorted out by grippers
on the fast trains.
Old August 3rd 16, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 11:56:38 on Wed, 3 Aug
2016, tim... remarked:

"In the autumn, keyGo will extend to stations in London and all of
its Great Northern and Thameslink routes - providing coverage from
Brighton to Huntingdon."

A nice bit of doublespeak there - last time I looked the GN route
went all the way to Peterborough. So when they say "all GN and
Thameslink routes" they mean "... but only at stations we can be
arsed to equip, thus breaking one of our franchise commitments".

surely the problem with Peterborough is having to avoid the problem of
people using Main line trains and then toughing out as if they have
used a stopping train (which I believe attracts a lower fare)

No, it's because Peterborough is an East Coast managed station and
GTR haven't sorted out integrating their readers with the gateline.

Same problem as Cambridge where the majority of 10m annual passengers use
GTR trains but AGA run the station and only handle their own smartcard and
m-ticket technologies.

And there was me thinking that ticketing was one bit that wasn't meant to be
so fragmented after privatisation.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old August 3rd 16, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:06:36
on Wed, 3 Aug 2016, remarked:

And there was me thinking that ticketing was one bit that wasn't meant to be
so fragmented after privatisation.

It had to be a bit fragmented to deliver pricing competition (as you
know from your jaunts via Liverpool St).
Old August 4th 16, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
16:33:08 on Wed, 3 Aug 2016,
remarked:

And there was me thinking that ticketing was one bit that wasn't meant
to be so fragmented after privatisation.

It had to be a bit fragmented to deliver pricing competition (as you
know from your jaunts via Liverpool St).

That their machines won't, it seems, sell you tickets for until it's too
late not to miss the train.

Are you referring to buying a ticket for the first off-peak train?

Yes.

At least these days most booking office clerks will sell you one
ahead of time, having first made enquiries about when you intend
travelling. Back in the day they wouldn't.

Yes, I know but we were caught out by an expected queue to the door in the
ticket office and the people, unlike the machines, wanting to see my wife's
railcard while she was caught in the maze that is the bike park at present.

When I lived near Surbiton it was impossible to catch the first
off-peak train to London (if it was on time) because it left only one
or two minutes after they'd started selling tickets for it.

If we'd known there would all of a sudden be silly ticket office queues at
10:45 on a Tuesday morning we'd have bought on the web of course. The
machines (which didn't have queues) would have give us TOD (or I could have
used an m-Ticket; my wife doesn't have a suitable phone).

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 4th 16, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote

Are you referring to buying a ticket for the first off-peak train?

At least these days most booking office clerks will sell you one ahead

of time, having first made enquiries about when you intend travelling.
Back in the day they wouldn't.

When I lived near Surbiton it was impossible to catch the first off-peak

train to London (if it was on time) because it left only one or two
minutes after they'd started selling tickets for it.

They are and were prepared to sell them the previous day (after 3pm unless
that was the machines).

Also the same day after the last peak train had left (too many trains at
Surbiton for this to make much difference).

--
Mike D