London Banter

-   -   Battersea extension (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15140-battersea-extension.html)

[email protected] October 11th 16 01:05 PM

Battersea extension

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 12:05:59 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 06:04:41
on Tue, 11 Oct 2016, remarked:
I doubt that platform doors will be fitted. There might be passive
provision but doors on just 2 Northern Line stations doesn't look likely
to me.

I always thought they were an expensive white elephant that served little
purpose but TfL seems to like them - they're going in on crossrail -
so I wouldn't put it past them to install just on 2 stations.

The safety benefits are considerable and they may well improve dwell times.

Also improved air flow and cooling.

I fail to see how - they're only 7 foot high. If the train was completely
sealed off from the platform the sure, but it isn't. Any train heat just
wafts up and over.

--
Spud

Roland Perry October 11th 16 01:11 PM

Battersea extension

In message , at 13:05:03 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:

Also improved air flow and cooling.

I fail to see how - they're only 7 foot high. If the train was completely
sealed off from the platform the sure, but it isn't. Any train heat just
wafts up and over.

Perhaps you haven't got the same skills as a proper fluid dynamics
engineer?

btw, I notice your posting host is the same as the ulm forger. Can you
explain that?

Roland Perry October 11th 16 01:13 PM

Battersea extension

In message , at 13:02:39 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:

I don't think there will be PEDs. But why would the trains need extra
kit if PEDs are fitted?

I just assumed there needs to be some kit in the train to tell the door
mechanism that its arrived and fully stopped. I can't see how you'd get the
2nd part of that accurate enough just by using some sort of passive sensor.

If the teething troubles they had with the JLE were correctly reported,
most of the PED-synching is down to the driver's skills, rather than
technology.

[email protected] October 11th 16 01:40 PM

Battersea extension

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:11:04 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:05:03 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:

Also improved air flow and cooling.

I fail to see how - they're only 7 foot high. If the train was completely
sealed off from the platform the sure, but it isn't. Any train heat just
wafts up and over.

Perhaps you haven't got the same skills as a proper fluid dynamics
engineer?

Unless those engineers have managed to change the laws of physics so hot
air no longer rises I can't see any mechanism for it to make any significant
difference. What it does do however is prevent the brief cooling breeze you
get just before a train is about to pull in so in that sense its worse.

btw, I notice your posting host is the same as the ulm forger. Can you
explain that?

No idea what forger you're talking about but if you'd spent 30 seconds
in google you'd have discovered that aioe.org is a free service that doesn't
require an account so hardly surprising it gets used for that.

--
Spud

[email protected] October 11th 16 01:43 PM

Battersea extension

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:13:00 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:02:39 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:

I don't think there will be PEDs. But why would the trains need extra
kit if PEDs are fitted?

I just assumed there needs to be some kit in the train to tell the door
mechanism that its arrived and fully stopped. I can't see how you'd get the
2nd part of that accurate enough just by using some sort of passive sensor.

If the teething troubles they had with the JLE were correctly reported,
most of the PED-synching is down to the driver's skills, rather than
technology.

Its ATO. However there still needs to be something to tell the platform doors
to open when the train doors open and I assume its some bit of NFC kit on the
train.

--
Spud

Roland Perry October 11th 16 01:53 PM

Battersea extension

In message , at 13:40:36 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:
Also improved air flow and cooling.

I fail to see how - they're only 7 foot high. If the train was completely
sealed off from the platform the sure, but it isn't. Any train heat just
wafts up and over.

Perhaps you haven't got the same skills as a proper fluid dynamics
engineer?

Unless those engineers have managed to change the laws of physics so hot
air no longer rises I can't see any mechanism

QED.

for it to make any significant
difference. What it does do however is prevent the brief cooling breeze you
get just before a train is about to pull in so in that sense its worse.

btw, I notice your posting host is the same as the ulm forger. Can you
explain that?

No idea what forger you're talking about but if you'd spent 30 seconds
in google you'd have discovered that aioe.org is a free service that doesn't
require an account so hardly surprising it gets used for that.

It's the @gioia. part I'm interested in.

Is that user-specific, or do all aioe.org users get the same hostname?
(Genuine question, and as you are apparently good at research I'm sure
you can easily produce a covincing cite).

Roland Perry October 11th 16 01:56 PM

Battersea extension

In message , at 13:43:15 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:

If the teething troubles they had with the JLE were correctly reported,
most of the PED-synching is down to the driver's skills, rather than
technology.

Its ATO.

What is, JLE or the Battersea extension?

However there still needs to be something to tell the platform doors
to open when the train doors open and I assume its some bit of NFC kit on the
train.

If ATO doesn't know where the train is, just as well as that sort of NFC
device, I'm astonished.

Recliner[_3_] October 11th 16 02:09 PM

Battersea extension

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:02:39 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:

I don't think there will be PEDs. But why would the trains need extra
kit if PEDs are fitted?

I just assumed there needs to be some kit in the train to tell the door
mechanism that its arrived and fully stopped. I can't see how you'd get the
2nd part of that accurate enough just by using some sort of passive sensor.

If the teething troubles they had with the JLE were correctly reported,
most of the PED-synching is down to the driver's skills, rather than
technology.

Its ATO. However there still needs to be something to tell the platform doors
to open when the train doors open and I assume its some bit of NFC kit on the
train.

The Jubilee is ATO now, but wasn't when the JLE opened.

I think the PEDs are operated by the signalling system.

Recliner[_3_] October 11th 16 02:13 PM

Battersea extension

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:43:15 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:

If the teething troubles they had with the JLE were correctly reported,
most of the PED-synching is down to the driver's skills, rather than
technology.

Its ATO.

What is, JLE or the Battersea extension?

Both now, but not the Jubilee when the JLE with its PEDs first opened.

However there still needs to be something to tell the platform doors
to open when the train doors open and I assume its some bit of NFC kit on the
train.

If ATO doesn't know where the train is, just as well as that sort of NFC
device, I'm astonished.

I think it's the signalling that operates the doors, and of course it knows
exactly where the train is. But I'm not sure how it knows to close the
PEDs.

[email protected] October 11th 16 02:52 PM

Battersea extension

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:53:52 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:40:36 on Tue, 11 Oct
2016, d remarked:
Also improved air flow and cooling.

I fail to see how - they're only 7 foot high. If the train was completely
sealed off from the platform the sure, but it isn't. Any train heat just
wafts up and over.

Perhaps you haven't got the same skills as a proper fluid dynamics
engineer?

Unless those engineers have managed to change the laws of physics so hot
air no longer rises I can't see any mechanism

QED.

Ok, so how do they stop the hot air entering the station? Do explain, I'd
love to hear how its done without any physical barrier. Have TfL invented a
force field?

No idea what forger you're talking about but if you'd spent 30 seconds
in google you'd have discovered that aioe.org is a free service that doesn't
require an account so hardly surprising it gets used for that.

It's the @gioia. part I'm interested in.

Is that user-specific, or do all aioe.org users get the same hostname?

You think every user who posts on this site gets a unique host to themselves?
Do you actually know how NNTP works?

(Genuine question, and as you are apparently good at research I'm sure
you can easily produce a covincing cite).

I don't need to produce anything pal. If you don't understand usenet thats
not my problem.

--
Spud