London Banter

-   -   Battersea extension (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15140-battersea-extension.html)

[email protected] October 11th 16 08:51 AM

Battersea extension

Just curious - does anyone know what form the architecture will take, will it
be like the JLE, crossrail or something completely new? Also I presume the 2
new stations will have platform doors too which I imagine will mean some new
kit on the trains - unless its already installed.

--
Spud

[email protected] October 11th 16 09:47 AM

Battersea extension

In article , d () wrote:

Just curious - does anyone know what form the architecture will take,
will it be like the JLE, crossrail or something completely new? Also I
presume the 2 new stations will have platform doors too which I imagine
will mean some new kit on the trains - unless its already installed.

I doubt that platform doors will be fitted. There might be passive provision
but doors on just 2 Northern Line stations doesn't look likely to me.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] October 11th 16 10:30 AM

Battersea extension

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 04:47:09 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

Just curious - does anyone know what form the architecture will take,
will it be like the JLE, crossrail or something completely new? Also I
presume the 2 new stations will have platform doors too which I imagine
will mean some new kit on the trains - unless its already installed.

I doubt that platform doors will be fitted. There might be passive provision
but doors on just 2 Northern Line stations doesn't look likely to me.

I always thought they were an expensive white elephant that served little
purpose but TfL seems to like them - they're going in on crossrail - so I
wouldn't put it past them to install just on 2 stations.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] October 11th 16 10:58 AM

Battersea extension

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 08:51:59 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Just curious - does anyone know what form the architecture will take, will it
be like the JLE, crossrail or something completely new?

Both stations will be under large new buildings, so they may not have
much surface presence. I think the inside design will be similar to
Crossrail, as that's the current style. The JLE stations were designed
20 years ago.

http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/london-residential-research/2015/11/nine-elms-station-towers-planned/

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/05/20/northern-line-extension-costs-to-soar-by-240m/

Also I presume the 2
new stations will have platform doors too which I imagine will mean some new
kit on the trains - unless its already installed.

I don't think there will be PEDs. But why would the trains need extra
kit if PEDs are fitted?

[email protected] October 11th 16 11:04 AM

Battersea extension

In article , d () wrote:

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 04:47:09 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

Just curious - does anyone know what form the architecture will take,
will it be like the JLE, crossrail or something completely new? Also I
presume the 2 new stations will have platform doors too which I imagine
will mean some new kit on the trains - unless its already installed.

I doubt that platform doors will be fitted. There might be passive
provision but doors on just 2 Northern Line stations doesn't look likely
to me.

I always thought they were an expensive white elephant that served little
purpose but TfL seems to like them - they're going in on crossrail -
so I wouldn't put it past them to install just on 2 stations.

The safety benefits are considerable and they may well improve dwell times.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry October 11th 16 11:05 AM

Battersea extension

In message , at 06:04:41
on Tue, 11 Oct 2016, remarked:
I doubt that platform doors will be fitted. There might be passive
provision but doors on just 2 Northern Line stations doesn't look likely
to me.

I always thought they were an expensive white elephant that served little
purpose but TfL seems to like them - they're going in on crossrail -
so I wouldn't put it past them to install just on 2 stations.

The safety benefits are considerable and they may well improve dwell times.

Also improved air flow and cooling.

Basil Jet[_4_] October 11th 16 11:43 AM

Battersea extension

wrote:

I doubt that platform doors will be fitted. There might be passive provision
but doors on just 2 Northern Line stations doesn't look likely to me.

I always thought they were an expensive white elephant that served little
purpose but TfL seems to like them - they're going in on crossrail - so I
wouldn't put it past them to install just on 2 stations.

I'm sure you've been told before that they reduce the need for
ventilation shafts and so reduce the cost of a new station.

Recliner[_3_] October 11th 16 12:02 PM

Battersea extension

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 12:05:59 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 06:04:41
on Tue, 11 Oct 2016, remarked:
I doubt that platform doors will be fitted. There might be passive
provision but doors on just 2 Northern Line stations doesn't look likely
to me.

I always thought they were an expensive white elephant that served little
purpose but TfL seems to like them - they're going in on crossrail -
so I wouldn't put it past them to install just on 2 stations.

The safety benefits are considerable and they may well improve dwell times.

Also improved air flow and cooling.

Yes, I think those are the normally cited 'official' reasons'.

PEDs are deemed essential for driverless trains, but I don't think the
Northern line is due to get those for many years.

Recliner[_3_] October 11th 16 12:08 PM

Battersea extension

wrote:

I doubt that platform doors will be fitted. There might be passive provision
but doors on just 2 Northern Line stations doesn't look likely to me.

I always thought they were an expensive white elephant that served little
purpose but TfL seems to like them - they're going in on crossrail - so I
wouldn't put it past them to install just on 2 stations.

I'm sure you've been told before that they reduce the need for
ventilation shafts and so reduce the cost of a new station.

How would they reduce the need for ventilation shafts? They're not
floor to ceiling.

[email protected] October 11th 16 01:02 PM

Battersea extension

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 11:58:36 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 08:51:59 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Just curious - does anyone know what form the architecture will take, will it
be like the JLE, crossrail or something completely new?

Both stations will be under large new buildings, so they may not have
much surface presence. I think the inside design will be similar to
Crossrail, as that's the current style. The JLE stations were designed
20 years ago.

http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/...2015/11/nine-e
ms-station-towers-planned/

Ah, the Bland Glass Box style. Oh well, so much for innovation. In 40 years
time it'll look as dated and unattractive as 60s tower blocks do today.
Assuming the glass hasn't all fallen out by then and been replaced by brick.

Also I presume the 2
new stations will have platform doors too which I imagine will mean some new
kit on the trains - unless its already installed.

I don't think there will be PEDs. But why would the trains need extra
kit if PEDs are fitted?

I just assumed there needs to be some kit in the train to tell the door
mechanism that its arrived and fully stopped. I can't see how you'd get the
2nd part of that accurate enough just by using some sort of passive sensor.

--
Spud