Old November 15th 16, 11:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Wolmar for MP

On 15/11/2016 11:59, Roland Perry wrote:
I lead for the UK ISP industry, and the outcome was modelled on the
agreement I hammered out with the initially extremely sceptical
rightsholder lawyers. Because of the way the UK is famous for coming
with mutually acceptable compromises, we punch well above our weight in
the drafting of a lot of EU law.

Does brexit mean the end of those "do you very vaguely understand how
the intertubes work so will click yes, or do you not care so will click
yes" cookie messages?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old November 16th 16, 07:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Cookie law (was:Wolmar for MP)

In message , at
00:02:22 on Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
I lead for the UK ISP industry, and the outcome was modelled on the
agreement I hammered out with the initially extremely sceptical
rightsholder lawyers. Because of the way the UK is famous for coming
with mutually acceptable compromises, we punch well above our weight in
the drafting of a lot of EU law.

Does brexit mean the end of those "do you very vaguely understand how
the intertubes work so will click yes, or do you not care

about being tracked by third parties

so will click yes" cookie messages?

It means we could repeal that particular bit of ePrivacy law, which is
widely regarded as an example of legislating for the law-abiding
criminal, and is an inevitable consequence of the website wanting to
make changes to the user's computer that would (in theory) otherwise
fall foul of the pre-existing eComputer Misuse Act.

However the ICO has already relaxed their stance:

http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2...-new-guidance-
on-implied-consent-to-cookies/

"implied consent is valid as long as website operators are
"satisfied that [their] users understand that their actions will
result in cookies being set."
Old November 16th 16, 08:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 07:26:03 +0800, "Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:

On 08/11/2016 23:46, Optimist wrote:
The legal action currently in play is exactly that: does it require a
successor Parliament (such as we have) to repeal the various European
Union Acts, or can bit be done under the skirts of the Royal Prerogative
apparently held by the PM-du-jour.

Not quite.

But triggering Article 50 would NOT repeal the European Communities Act - that requires legislation.

True. However, triggering Article 50 would mean that we *will* leave the
EU and that will take away rights that Parliament granted when it passed
the European Communities Act.

The Crown (including the Crown's ministers) does not have the right to
overrule Parliament's wishes or take away what Parliament has given.
This has been a *written* part of the Constitution at least since the
Bill of Rights, with plenty of case law to support it, and part of the
Constitution for longer than that - ask Charles I.

There's another aspect here though - the referendum. Legislation for this had been passed by
Parliament last year. The people were told that the decision was theirs, and that the government
would implement that decision. So effectively Article 50 was de facto triggered by the referendum
itself.

Of course there are those desperate to block the decision playing the "advisory" card, but that
really will not do as no MP mentioned during the campaign "Oh, by the way, peasants, if you vote the
wrong way we'll ignore your decision anyway" (indeed Cameron said that in the event of a Leave vote
he would begin the process to leave) so in that case MPs would just be exposed as utterly cynical
liars and not fit to represent the people.
Old November 16th 16, 08:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
On 08/11/2016 23:46, Optimist wrote:
The legal action currently in play is exactly that: does it require a
successor Parliament (such as we have) to repeal the various European
Union Acts, or can bit be done under the skirts of the Royal Prerogative
apparently held by the PM-du-jour.

Not quite.

But triggering Article 50 would NOT repeal the European Communities Act -

that requires legislation.

True. However, triggering Article 50 would mean that we *will* leave the
EU and that will take away rights that Parliament granted when it passed
the European Communities Act.

Pity May didn't trigger it while she had the chance before those immigrants
won that legal challenge (one can only hope one night down a dark alley...).
The EU wouldn't give a damn about legal squabbles here, once its triggered its
a done deal as far as they're concerned and all legal challenges would have
been moot.

--
Spud

Old November 16th 16, 12:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:06:26 on Wed, 16 Nov
2016, d remarked:

not that I give a ****

Yes, I think we got that message loud and clear.