Old February 1st 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PHEC London cabs booked

On 2017-01-30 16:59:31 +0000, Recliner said:
The vehicle isn't the interim model.

That kind of hybrid is; the long-term solution is a pure electric
vehicle when battery technology is good enough.

We don't know when it will be good enough. Or if it ever will be. We can
at least be fairly sure that it ain't gonna be any time in the next few
years.

So waiting until it is good enough is silly.

Who says to wait? That's precisely why an interim model is proposed.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old February 1st 17, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-02-01 12:18:22 +0000, David Cantrell said:

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:50:26AM +0000, Recliner wrote:

- They need a large grille as they spend a lot of time idling in
traffic, so they need lots of cooling air. The earlier TX4 model had
engine fires because of the lack of cooling air.

I assume that with this one if it's not moving it won't be burning fuel,
just like a Prius.

And crawling in traffic it'll use electricity only, just like a Prius
(or Bozza bus).

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old February 1st 17, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 12:31:30 -0000, "tim..."

. uk...
On 2017-01-30 16:59:31 +0000, Recliner said:
The vehicle isn't the interim model.
That kind of hybrid is; the long-term solution is a pure electric
vehicle when battery technology is good enough.

We don't know when it will be good enough.

Ah,

we might not know

but TPTB do

otherwise they wouldn't have put in laws mandating use of 100% emission free
vehicles by insert some date in, the not to distant, future

If technology hasn't invented new battery technology by then, we will all be
breaking the law (or only allowed to drive cars with pathetic ranges)

How large is the zone where zero emissions is required?

If it's reasonably small, the PHEV could run with zero emissions
within it, but would be able to use its small petrol engine to
recharge outside it (assuming there aren't enough charging points,
which there should be soon).
Old February 1st 17, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 12:09:50 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 09:59:01AM -0000, tim... wrote:

And ISTM that if you are going to have to spend billions on zero-emission
R&D that is more likely to be profitable if the product you are making is
more generic than a "London" cab.

There's no real research needed for a plug-in hybrid. And the owners
aren't going to do any research purely for the London cab market,
they're going to do it for cars in general, a small fraction of which
will be London-style cabs. Once you've done the research, making and
bolting together appropriately shaped batteries and motors is relatively
straightforward.

The only real spanner in the works that I can foresee is if the Wonder
Miracle Battery (tm) has specific size and shape requirements.

The battery pack will consist of a slab of lots of small cells that
will probably be placed under the floor, just as with Teslas, the
forthcoming Jaguar I-Pace, etc. It'll be easy to do with a high floor
taxi.

On 2017-01-30 16:59:31 +0000, Recliner said:
The vehicle isn't the interim model.
That kind of hybrid is; the long-term solution is a pure electric
vehicle when battery technology is good enough.

We don't know when it will be good enough.

Ah,

we might not know

but TPTB do

otherwise they wouldn't have put in laws mandating use of 100% emission
free
vehicles by insert some date in, the not to distant, future

If technology hasn't invented new battery technology by then, we will all
be
breaking the law (or only allowed to drive cars with pathetic ranges)

How large is the zone where zero emissions is required?

I wasn't just referring to this law

NL is seriously considering decreeing that no "non zero emissions" cars will
be allowed in the whole of the country from 2025

Other European countries are considering similar restrictions over smaller
area

If it's reasonably small, the PHEV could run with zero emissions
within it, but would be able to use its small petrol engine to
recharge outside it (assuming there aren't enough charging points,
which there should be soon).

and how would you enforce "not using the engine" inside the zone?

It might work with taxis that can have equipment installed to regulate them

but it isn't going to work for every arrival in the city from the rest of
the UK/Europe

tim

Old February 1st 17, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-02-01 16:40:02 +0000, tim... said:

and how would you enforce "not using the engine" inside the zone?

I know it's a bit old fashioned and quaint, but how's about we have
some of those "police officers" walking and driving around the place?
You know, the kind that would see a crime being committed and
investigate, and if necessary issue a ticket or conduct an arrest?

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old February 1st 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-02-01 16:40:02 +0000, tim... said:

and how would you enforce "not using the engine" inside the zone?

I know it's a bit old fashioned and quaint, but how's about we have
some of those "police officers" walking and driving around the place?
You know, the kind that would see a crime being committed and
investigate, and if necessary issue a ticket or conduct an arrest?

I suspect that you could have automatic detectors that sniff out tailpipe
emissions from passing vehicles, and photograph them.

Old February 1st 17, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-02-01 16:40:02 +0000, tim... said:

and how would you enforce "not using the engine" inside the zone?

I know it's a bit old fashioned and quaint, but how's about we have some
of those "police officers" walking and driving around the place? You
know, the kind that would see a crime being committed and investigate, and
if necessary issue a ticket or conduct an arrest?

and when did you last see one of those?

tim

Old February 1st 17, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-02-01 16:40:02 +0000, tim... said:

and how would you enforce "not using the engine" inside the zone?

I know it's a bit old fashioned and quaint, but how's about we have some
of those "police officers" walking and driving around the place? You
know, the kind that would see a crime being committed and investigate, and
if necessary issue a ticket or conduct an arrest?

and when did you last see one of those?

I agree, there would have to be automatic detectors. Maybe parking wardens
could also play a part.

Alsp, only vehicles capable of zero emissions would be allowed into the
zone. Others would either be banned or would have to pay a T Charge, as is
planned for central London.