Old August 16th 17, 04:20 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms. There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.

The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.
Old August 16th 17, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo pictures

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:20:54 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms.

Yes, the original 20 and 21 were absorbed into the international
extension.

There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.

It used to the old Eurostar security/immigration/departure hall/car
park, but will become retail space.

The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5).

I think they're more commonly 3x3-car 159s. This train must have
consisted of 2x3-car 159s+2-car 158.

I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Again, not unusual.
Old August 16th 17, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/08/2017 17:20, Robin9 wrote:
I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms. There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.

The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Not 3+5, probably 3+3+2

---

Old August 17th 17, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:54:56 on
Wed, 16 Aug 2017, Recliner remarked:

I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Again, not unusual.

Back in the day when I go that Eurostar connecting train from
Warminster, the regular Sprinters often used to split/join at
Salisbury (I went to Basingstoke a few times that routing).