Old October 13th 17, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oxford to London commute

On 13/10/2017 14:37, wrote:
snip

The problem with relying on cyclng is that it's lovely when the
weather is, and when it isn't it's bloody horrible.

I live on what is allegedly one of the busiest cycle routes in the UK
and it's incredibly noticeable how usage drops when the weather is
less than clement.

Because of this I'd seriously argue that a modal shift to cycling is
impossible - you still have to dimension the transport infrastructure
for those bad days, and if you've just taken a chunk out of it to
accomodate the cycle lane then for periods of the year (e.g.
"February") you're actually making things worse, not better.

Sorry, but that is as ridiculous as saying you will drive even though 10% of
the time traffic will be so bad that you will be seriously late to work.
Non-trivial rain occurs as commuter time well under 10% of the time. It
isn't that hard to get good cycling raingear either.

Look at Cambridge commuting if you don't believe me. Traffic is worse on wet
days but that makes cycling even more advantageous in travel times.

I am unclear.

Are you arguing that Someone Somewhere was:

a) wrong in his observation that the number of commuting cyclists falls
when the weather is bad or

b) wrong about the consequences for other modes of transport - eg
because the missing cyclists work from home when the weather is bad?

Or is it something else entirely?

--
Robin
Old October 13th 17, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/10/2017 14:37, wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 02:32,
wrote:
In article ,
(GeorgeK) wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. My wife doesn't drive but we are
willing to live on the suburbs of Oxford provided that she can take at
least the bus to work which is at the city center. We are mainly
interested in living near a city with certain amenities (restaurants,
bars, shopping street, etc).

The idea of staying at Headington doesn't sound bad as it seems to be
less than 30min from the city center by bus. From your replies, it
seems that the 6th zone (Ickenham, Hillington or Rickmansworth) is the
closest I can get by car to London before being stuck in the jam.

When I checked the commute from Didcot to London by train it wasn't
faster (or cheaper) compared to Oxford. You reckon that Didcot would be
more convenient though?

Has you wife actually looked at the cycling option? Oxford is only
second to Cambridge for UK cycle commuting and up to 5 miles is an easy
cycle commute. My wife doesn't drive and regularly cycles to her job
2.5-3 miles away as I did when working even though I drive.

The problem with relying on cyclng is that it's lovely when the
weather is, and when it isn't it's bloody horrible.

I live on what is allegedly one of the busiest cycle routes in the UK
and it's incredibly noticeable how usage drops when the weather is
less than clement.

Because of this I'd seriously argue that a modal shift to cycling is
impossible - you still have to dimension the transport infrastructure
for those bad days, and if you've just taken a chunk out of it to
accomodate the cycle lane then for periods of the year (e.g.
"February") you're actually making things worse, not better.

Sorry, but that is as ridiculous as saying you will drive even though 10% of
the time traffic will be so bad that you will be seriously late to work.

No it's not - it's observational that during poor weather (or winter)
the number of cyclists reduces dramatically. Do you dispute this?

Non-trivial rain occurs as commuter time well under 10% of the time. It
isn't that hard to get good cycling raingear either.

That's not the point, the point is cyclists seem fickle about the
weather but presumably will still make their journey which presumably
will be via tube / trian / taxi / uber / car.

Look at Cambridge commuting if you don't believe me. Traffic is worse on wet
days but that makes cycling even more advantageous in travel times.

That may well be, but a) this is still uk.transport.london however many
times you wish to bring Cambridge into it and b) I suggest that when
introducing segregated cycle lanes that reduce overall throughput of
people (excepting cyclists) then this needs to be taken into account.

I'm not arguing that cyclists shouldn't have safe routes to follow, or
similar, just that cyclists have differences that aren't shared by other
modes of transport which means they don't use the road capacity with the
uniformity of other users.

Similarly it could be fairly argued that on days of bus strikes,
penalties for other vehicles using bus lanes should be removed, but such
events happen far less frequently than inclement weather (probably less
than 0.1%).

Again, I'm not arguing that such measures are practical - they probably
aren't (reasonably) - just that such a modal shift is not as simplistic
is as often presented (creating safe, segregated cycle lanes will mean
people shift to bikes and overall journey times will decrease and not
increase)
Old October 13th 17, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
08:37:43 on Fri, 13 Oct 2017,
remarked:

I live on what is allegedly one of the busiest cycle routes in the UK
and it's incredibly noticeable how usage drops when the weather is
less than clement.

Because of this I'd seriously argue that a modal shift to cycling is
impossible - you still have to dimension the transport infrastructure
for those bad days, and if you've just taken a chunk out of it to
accomodate the cycle lane then for periods of the year (e.g.
"February") you're actually making things worse, not better.

Sorry, but that is as ridiculous as saying you will drive even though 10%
of the time traffic will be so bad that you will be seriously late to
work. Non-trivial rain occurs as commuter time well under 10% of the
time. It isn't that hard to get good cycling raingear either.

Look at Cambridge commuting if you don't believe me.

One of the driest parts of the country.

It's the times of day that are important. The tendency not to rain at
commuting times is national. But we are talking about Oxford, not
Manchester. It isn't much wetter than Cambridge.

Traffic is

catastrophically

worse on wet days but that makes cycling even more advantageous in
travel times.

As long as you don't mind turning up at work drenched.

Do you cycle to work? How many times has that happened to you? In over 25
years working for Pye/Philips/Simoco it happened to me less often than the
number of fingers on one hand. And that's in either direction. On the way
home, recovery is simple anyway.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 13th 17, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Robin) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 14:37,
wrote:
[...]

That the effect on cycling is surprisingly is marginal. Traffic is mainly
worse because it is driving slower due the the adverse driving conditions.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 13th 17, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 14:37,
wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 02:32,
wrote:
In article ,
(GeorgeK) wrote:

[...]

Have you got the traffic counts? There appears to be much more traffic.
While a bit of that is cyclists using their cars but the main effect is
because cars are driving slower due to the conditions.

Non-trivial rain occurs as commuter time well under 10% of the time. It
isn't that hard to get good cycling raingear either.

That's not the point, the point is cyclists seem fickle about the
weather but presumably will still make their journey which presumably
will be via tube / trian / taxi / uber / car.

Ones like contributors to this thread maybe. How many of you ever cycle?
Even since I retired I cycle regularly in central London. Sometimes it rains
too. Fortunately reality is becoming more apparent in places where cycling
is properly supported.

[...]

I worked in London for nearly a decade and cycled a lot between westminster
and main line railway stations as well as between my Cambridge home and the
station. I know perfectly well what the advantages of cycling are, as well
the the largely imagined issued raised here. Cycling meant shorter commutes
and a predictability of journey times just not available by car or tube. So
when I left the office I knew with far greater confidence which train I
would catch than when I took the tube. In the mornings after I stayed at my
parents' in Putney, I could cycle in in much the same time as taking the
tube, using low traffic and car-free routes (rather than a cycle
super-highway composed mainly of paint), and, unlike on the tube, I got a
seat.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 13th 17, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/10/2017 18:55, wrote:
In article ,
(Robin) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 14:37,
wrote:
[...]

So it's (a) - ie you are disagreeing with Someone's observation about
the variation in the number of cycling commuters with weather.

I have no idea which of you are right. But may I ask if your "marginal"
comes from your personal observations of CS1 or CS2 etc, or from TfL
figures, or what?

--
Robin
Old October 13th 17, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 13 October 2017 14:37:45 UTC+1, wrote:
In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 02:32,
wrote:
In article ,
(GeorgeK) wrote:

[...]

Oh, do we really have to? Is there an unwritten law that every thread
on this newsgroup will get to Cambridge or business class air travel eventually?

The poor (well, not poor if considering commuting to London from there) original
poster was asking about travel to and from Oxford, not Cambridge.

Old October 14th 17, 12:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Mark) wrote:

On Friday, 13 October 2017 14:37:45 UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,

(Someone Somewhere) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 02:32,
wrote:
In article ,
(GeorgeK) wrote:

[...]

That's because Cambridge is the one UK place with cycling to work levels
similar to those in the Netherlands and Oxford is one of the next closest,
along with parts of central London where this Cambridge cyclist also cycles.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 14th 17, 07:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/10/2017 18:55, wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 14:37,
wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 13/10/2017 02:32,
wrote:
In article ,
(GeorgeK) wrote:

[...]

I mentioned a reduction in cyclists - not necessarily an increase in
cars - we have other modes of transport in London where people have
observed an increase in passengers during inclement weather.

Believe me, you don't want to go down the route of insisting I cite
evidence, otherwise you may find yourself asked for similar on each and
every contentious point you ever make.

Non-trivial rain occurs as commuter time well under 10% of the time. It
isn't that hard to get good cycling raingear either.

That's not the point, the point is cyclists seem fickle about the
weather but presumably will still make their journey which presumably
will be via tube / trian / taxi / uber / car.

Ones like contributors to this thread maybe. How many of you ever cycle?
Even since I retired I cycle regularly in central London. Sometimes it rains
too. Fortunately reality is becoming more apparent in places where cycling
is properly supported.

Does it matter who cycles or not? I work from home overlooking CS3
between Tower Hill and Canary Wharf. It is absolutely obvious that the
number of cyclists drops during bad weather.

You appear to be so blinkered about cycling to the point of implying I
am lying about what I see - is that really your intention?