Old January 12th 18, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default a new bus announcement

travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

--
Martin

Old January 12th 18, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:21:53 +0000
martin wrote:
travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

A bit like on the tube where the platform guy announces that the doors are
closing - after they've started closing.

Old January 12th 18, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 12 January 2018 11:25:03 UTC, martin wrote:
travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

--
Martin

It is an attempt to reduce injuries and accidents. The Mayor has imposed a requirement on TfL to reduce death and injuries on the bus network. A significant element of accidents are trips, slips and falls on moving buses. I haven't heard it yet but it was only introduced this morning. Seems to be going down like a lead balloon on social media!

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/sshrp-2017...across-tfl.pdf
sets out some of the initiatives including this new announcement.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old January 12th 18, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 12 January 2018 11:25:03 UTC, martin wrote:
travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

--
Martin

Also see

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/sshrp-2017...-programme.pdf

and

https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/...s%20safety.pdf

A hell of a lot of effort and money is being put into this. If you think announcements are bad wait until the driver is not really in charge of the bus because a computer is talking to a speed limit map and controlling the speed.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old January 12th 18, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2018-01-12, martin wrote:
travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

I've heard it - and I think it's a good idea - but the bus drivers start
too soon. Perhaps there should be a pause and beep - and the driver only
starts on the beep.

When lots of people are getting on you can have no idea when exactly the
bus will start to move, especially if you are on the stairs or walking
along the top deck to a seat.

Getting off you can wait for the bus to stop before using the stairs.

Old January 12th 18, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/01/2018 11:21, martin wrote:
travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

Wait until they start pushing hard the message to stay in your seat
until the bus comes to a complete stop. (I don't know if TfL plans that
but I met in somewhere.) It makes sense to reduce injuries but I shudder
to think what it'd do to dwell times in London if people obeyed.

--
Robin
Old January 12th 18, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 12:37:24 +0000 (UTC)
On 2018-01-12, martin wrote:
travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

I've heard it - and I think it's a good idea - but the bus drivers start
too soon. Perhaps there should be a pause and beep - and the driver only
starts on the beep.

When lots of people are getting on you can have no idea when exactly the
bus will start to move, especially if you are on the stairs or walking
along the top deck to a seat.

I was under the impression that seeing how many people they can make fall
back down the stairs on moving off was an unofficial sport amongst london
bus drivers.

Old January 12th 18, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/01/2018 11:21, martin wrote:
travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

In theory it is a useful addition to safety but I was on three such
buses today and the passenger reaction was mostly amusement (so far) or
annoyance.

In practice it seems to be tripped at all the wrong places and seldom at
the right moment. From the way it comes on frequently while the bus is
moving normally it must be an automatic system rather than a driver
switch. Seems strange that TfL did not test it properly before going public.
Old January 12th 18, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

martin writes:

travelling on a 37 this morning, one of their new stock
I was rather surprised to be told by the lady who tells
us everything on buses, just as the door closed:
"please hold on the bus is about to move" I thought most
bus passengers understood that or is it not obvious enough
since we havent quite perfected teleportation yet.

It is not really that new. "Hold on tight"
dingding was1[1] a standard announcement by conductors.

[1] Along with "Any more fares, please"