London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 6th 18, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,105
Default Haringey Heartlands


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haringey_Heartlands

Mary Neuner Road opened in approx October 2009, but since then nothing
much appears to have happened in the area. There are no properties
accessed from the new road, and although it's a handy bypass when there
is a traffic jam on Hornsey Park Road, I suspect the business case for
the road would not stack up on that basis alone. The road only really
makes sense as an access route for the derelict land either side, but it
seems odd that the road opened nine years or more before it was needed.

  #2   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 652
Default Haringey Heartlands

Basil Jet wrote on 06 Feb 2018 at 22:54 ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haringey_Heartlands

Mary Neuner Road opened in approx October 2009, but since then nothing
much appears to have happened in the area. There are no properties
accessed from the new road, and although it's a handy bypass when there
is a traffic jam on Hornsey Park Road, I suspect the business case for
the road would not stack up on that basis alone. The road only really
makes sense as an access route for the derelict land either side, but it
seems odd that the road opened nine years or more before it was needed.


The business case was apparently that it would relieve congestion. See this BBC news report from November 2008:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._feature.shtml
(The 2014 date at the top is probably when it was archived.)
--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Feb 2011
Location: Leyton, East London
Posts: 822
Default

Never heard of it. I take a look in the next few days.
  #4   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2007
Posts: 1,128
Default Haringey Heartlands

Are these new roads always named after councillors? It must be very boring for that perennial school project, "How my street got its name". "Mary Neuner was a Labour councillor from 1986 to 2002 END TRANSMISSION."

The best road names would be ones that do not have to be spelled every single time over the phone.
  #5   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,208
Default Haringey Heartlands

In message , at
04:26:23 on Wed, 7 Feb 2018, Offramp remarked:
Are these new roads always named after councillors? It must be very boring for that perennial school project, "How my street got its name".
"Mary Neuner was a Labour councillor from 1986 to 2002 END TRANSMISSION."

The best road names would be ones that do not have to be spelled every single time over the phone.


I agree. And also preferably not more than about 16 characters.

(I lived in one that was 18 characters without the "Rd/St" suffix, and
it became tiresome on both grounds.)
--
Roland Perry


  #6   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,105
Default Haringey Heartlands

On 2018\02\07 10:05, Richard J. wrote:
Basil Jet wrote on 06 Feb 2018 at 22:54 ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haringey_Heartlands

Mary Neuner Road opened in approx October 2009, but since then nothing
much appears to have happened in the area. There are no properties
accessed from the new road, and although it's a handy bypass when there
is a traffic jam on Hornsey Park Road, I suspect the business case for
the road would not stack up on that basis alone. The road only really
makes sense as an access route for the derelict land either side, but it
seems odd that the road opened nine years or more before it was needed.


The business case was apparently that it would relieve congestion.* See
this BBC news report from November 2008:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._feature.shtml


Interesting, thanks.

"The Mary Neuner Road will help stem congestion by taking some of the
traffic off residential roads like Hornsey Park Road, once people
realise it's there."

Eight years later, I find that it enables a few smart people to bypass
most of the traffic jam, but most people still sit in the traffic jam
which is virtually unchanged. The actual bottleneck is the lights at
Wightman Road, into which all southbound traffic still gets funnelled.
Building the new road behind the Electoral Reform Society and connecting
to Turnpike Lane by the railway bridge would have been better, but I
think the land has recently been built on, and that would double the
length and presumably the cost of the road.
  #7   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,208
Default Haringey Heartlands

In message , at 13:11:41 on Wed, 7 Feb 2018,
Basil Jet remarked:

"The Mary Neuner Road will help stem congestion by taking some of the
traffic off residential roads like Hornsey Park Road, once people
realise it's there."


Are there many people locally who don't realise Hornsey Park Road is
there?
--
Roland Perry
  #8   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,105
Default Haringey Heartlands

On 2018\02\07 13:24, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:11:41 on Wed, 7 Feb 2018,
Basil Jet remarked:

"The Mary Neuner Road will help stem congestion by taking some of the
traffic off residential roads like Hornsey Park Road, once people
realise it's there."


Are there many people locally who don't realise Hornsey Park Road is there?


Whoever named "Hornsey Park Road Services" aka "Shell Hornsey Park Road"
probably didn't realise Hornsey Park Road was there.
  #9   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 35
Default Haringey Heartlands

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at
04:26:23 on Wed, 7 Feb 2018, Offramp remarked:
Are these new roads always named after councillors? It must be very
boring for that perennial school project, "How my street got its name".
"Mary Neuner was a Labour councillor from 1986 to 2002 END TRANSMISSION."

The best road names would be ones that do not have to be spelled every
single time over the phone.


I agree. And also preferably not more than about 16 characters.

(I lived in one that was 18 characters without the "Rd/St" suffix, and
it became tiresome on both grounds.)


It's been a long time since I was a Haringey Councillor but Mary took
over from her husband Frederick who was an alderman then a Councillor
from 1952 to 1982 . She was a Councillor 1986 - 2002 so between them
they served 50 years (4 years break)
--
Bryan Morris
  #10   Report Post  
Old February 7th 18, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2007
Posts: 1,128
Default Haringey Heartlands

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 15:45:37 UTC, Bryan Morris wrote:

It's been a long time since I was a Haringey Councillor but Mary took
over from her husband Frederick who was an alderman then a Councillor
from 1952 to 1982 . She was a Councillor 1986 - 2002 so between them
they served 50 years (4 years break)


That is a tremendous achievement, and one that those in whose power the naming of new roads resides would want to commemorate as they would want their own council longevity memorialised by their successors.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you spell Haringey? Graham Harrison[_2_] London Transport 56 January 23rd 10 01:28 PM
New station at Haringey??? London Transport 12 May 7th 06 11:29 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017