Old July 3rd 18, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Electric black cabs

I've seen them on the streets for a while up until now from a distance. Today
I saw one up close - they're pretty big brutes. Bigger than a current diesel
cab and bigger , though lower , than a range rover I suspect. I'm sure thats
nice for the cabbie and the passengers but it can't help the range much
dragging that much mass about.

Old July 3rd 18, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/07/2018 16:42, Recliner wrote:
Yes, LEVC seems to have used some of the lightweight body construction
techniques of sister company Lotus. And the engine comes from Volvo,
another sister company.

Wonders what Lode Lane in Solihull would have come up with.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old July 3rd 18, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 16:20:19 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
On 03/07/2018 12:42, wrote:
I've seen them on the streets for a while up until now from a distance. Today

I saw one up close - they're pretty big brutes. Bigger than a current diesel
cab and bigger , though lower , than a range rover I suspect. I'm sure thats
nice for the cabbie and the passengers but it can't help the range much
dragging that much mass about.

As it's a six seater, it's more of a replacement for the Mercedes van
conversions than the TX4, so the passengers get the same space each if
fully loaded, as there has to be space for the built in wheelchair ramp.

It is also built using fibreglass panels cladding an aluminium frame,
so even adding the battery weight, it weighs, according to LEVC, less
than the current cabs.

https://www.levc.com/technology/body-structure/

Interesting. Browsing the site it seems these cars have a petrol engine
range extender too. If they have to use that I can imagine the cabbies will
be able to here the sound of the money being sucked from their wallets.

Unfortunaley there are few specifics on the site and I'm not giving all
my details just to download a pdf. Pity.

Old July 3rd 18, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/07/2018 16:56, wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 16:20:19 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
On 03/07/2018 12:42,
wrote:
[...]

I do wonder as and when we move to primarily electric vehicles whether
that will change the desirability of a large chunk of London housing
which is close to major roads - if the noise reduces dramatically and
the pollution pretty much disappears...