Old July 21st 18, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Goblin latest

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2018\07\20 23:55, Graham Harrison wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:56:59 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 05:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Friday, 20 July 2018 10:41:18 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
I also suspect that the 345s have different performance parameters than the=
710s given the need for very rapid acceleration and braking on Crossrail p=
lus higher speeds to run skip stop out west. Their cabs should also be dif=
ferent to reflect the different signalling tech that the trains work with.

Is there any case for a common cab EMU control panel to be mandated so that
cross training between various stocks is less of a chore in the same way
that all airliners by airbus (don't know about boeing) tend to have the
controls in similar locations no matter what the aircraft?

Just because they have similar controls doesn't mean you, the pilot,
can walk off an A320 straight onto an A380. Airbus do indeed tout
that possibility but there is a requirement for additional training if
only because of the increased weight and 4 engines. Not only that
but the differences between early A320s and the latest neo models
isn't simply a matter of new engines; display systems in the cockpits
have moved on as well.

I would suggest that the continuous evolution of control systems means
that a single cab configuration, designed now, would be seen as
obsolete quite quickly

Not if Boltar was in charge, because he would have bought enough
aeroplanes for 150 years in 1903.

ðŸ‘

Old July 22nd 18, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Oh do give it a rest. What exactly is the major advance in technology from
the 378s to the 710s? Very little I'd venture, perhaps a weight reduction
and thats about it. And I bet the seats in the latter will have all the
padding of concrete so will be less pleasent for passengers.

Old July 22nd 18, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

You don't get to tell the entire group to **** off and then have us at
your beck and call to answer questions that you've already been given
answers to in the last six months.

--
Basil Jet - listening to (Mi-Mz)... Michael Chapman. Michael Karoli.
Michael Nyman. Michael Rother. Mick Karn. Mick Ronson. Mickey Hart.
Old July 22nd 18, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Yup, I've decided not to provide any more free education to Neil (Boltar).

Old July 23rd 18, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

I've yet to here any technical details beyond "oh, they're better".

Old July 23rd 18, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 10:13:19 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Yup, I've decided not to provide any more free education to Neil (Boltar).

Am I supposed to be impressed? Its amazing what you can dig up from old
usenet post addresses correlated with company names isn't it as someone
demonstrated to me , oh, at least 10 years ago.

Old July 23rd 18, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Yup, I've decided not to provide any more free education to Neil (Boltar).

Am I supposed to be impressed? Its amazing what you can dig up from old
usenet post addresses correlated with company names isn't it as someone
demonstrated to me , oh, at least 10 years ago.

Why would I try and impress you, Mr Neil J Robertson?

Old July 23rd 18, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Yup, I've decided not to provide any more free education to Neil (Boltar).

Am I supposed to be impressed? Its amazing what you can dig up from old
usenet post addresses correlated with company names isn't it as someone
demonstrated to me , oh, at least 10 years ago.

Why would I try and impress you, Mr Neil J Robertson?

Good old companies house. No doubt if you're not too thick you've also found a
couple of my old addresses too and the name of my late stepmum bless her. Well
done. Now you're probably trying to figure out which is my profile on
facebook - I can save you the trouble, I'm not on it and there is no picture
of me anywhere on the internet. But do carry on searching since you inevitably
won't believe me.

If I wanted anonymity on here I wouldn't still be using this old handle. HTH.

Old July 23rd 18, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's a foot tunnel. I've never heard of a foot ferry in Woolwich.
Pedestrians are of course allowed on the car ferry.

There used to also be a railway-operated ferry at North Woolwich, the burned out remains of the pier which it once served were still there a few years ago and may still be there now, I haven’t been there recently. It was killed off many decades ago by the mearby free ferry and foot tunnel. I think it may have been around First World War time, but I’m not sure.