Old April 23rd 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Level Crossings on busy lines

In article m, Martin
Underwood writes
This is an issue in the plans for Watford Junction.

If it's a level crossing and it's on the main line (as opposed to the branch
to St Albans)

or the Watford High Street branch (though very little of that is at
ground level).

that the delays for road traffic will be horrendous given that
it would probably be a full-barrier crossing linked with the signals, rather
than an AHB activated by the trains which would require less lead time
between the barriers going down and the train arriving and would probably
allow the barriers to be lifted briefly between successive trains.

An AHB is not permitted where there are more than two running lines, or
where speeds exceed 100mph. Furthermore, they are not permitted if
there's any practical risk of a traffic jam "blocking back" as far as
the crossing, or if for any other reason the road exit could easily
become obstructed.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old April 23rd 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Q
writes
The Park La. crossing is a different matter - Anyone who is local to the
Enfield area or get the local rag from round there will know about a spate
of near misses, and idiotic motorists who insist in trying to jump the
barriers and cross when trains approaching.

Is this an AHB or a controlled crossing (do the barriers block the road
completely, or only half of it)? If controlled, then there won't be
"near misses", just delays while idiots have the barriers bounced off
their car roofs (I've seen it done).

WAGN or rather 'one' took the
decision to close the crossing off.

More likely Railtrack / Network Rail.

Old April 24th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Q
writes
The Park La. crossing is a different matter - Anyone who is local to the
Enfield area or get the local rag from round there will know about a

spate
of near misses, and idiotic motorists who insist in trying to jump the
barriers and cross when trains approaching.

Is this an AHB or a controlled crossing (do the barriers block the road
completely, or only half of it)? If controlled, then there won't be
"near misses", just delays while idiots have the barriers bounced off
their car roofs (I've seen it done).

- I think (Last time I was up that way) the barriers did not block the
entire road, just the on-coming lane in each direction

WAGN or rather 'one' took the
decision to close the crossing off.

More likely Railtrack / Network Rail.

- Yes your quite right. From what I can re call it is/was closed to
vehicles (By means of building site type temporary fence) but if open for
pedestrians. (Even though quite a number of them don't understand the
flashing lights thing, and just walk across)

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

---

Old April 25th 04, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Q
writes

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
ws.com...
"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Richard J." wrote in message

Incidentally, the level crossing at Lincoln Road (Enfield) is closed to

cars
at nights and all day Sunday. I think the one in Park Lane near

Theobalds
Grove station might be as well.

Er, wouldn't there be more rail traffic during the day than at nights and
weekends, and therefore more need to keep the barriers down for longer
during the day? Or is it because there's also more road traffic during the
day as well.

If a brand new road is built these days, what are the guidelines about

level
crossing versus bridge? Are there any circumstances where level crossings
would still be installed these days?

The Lincoln Rd crossing being closed at night and weekends has something to
do with it being a former private rd (?) I've seen mention of it on hear
somewhere before (Google will probably be your friend). With the WARM
project there was a roomer that they wanted to replace it with a
electronically gated crossing of some sort, but it was decided to leave it
as it was. People had cited it was un safe - it is only 'un safe' if your a
pedestrian and you don't pay attention when on or about the crossing.

I can only think of 1 accident at that crossing, and if I remember it
correctly that was a mini that smashed through the gates one night when It
was closed. I don't know of any vehicle Vs train incidents there though.

The Lincoln road crossing is not very level - there is a 'hump' of about
5 metres (by eye - I can see the crossing from my house) which currently
makes it a blind brow - as the road narrows to single track through the
crossing and is constricted to single track on the eastern side by
residential parking, despite Lincoln Road being a very busy
through-route often used by articulated lorries, the amount of work
necessary to make the crossing safe for automated working would be huge,
involving compulsory purchase of parts of at least two properties and
the complete re-profiling of the carriageway height for a considerable
distance either side.

Although there is a good record for vehicle vs. train accidents, the
crossing is considered 'unsafe' due to the number of vehicle on vehicle
(and vehicle on surrounding solid object) incidents, there being several
a week of these. Often several a day... not necessarily on the crossing
itself, but on the approaches.
--
Steve
Old April 25th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

I'm interested in level crossings on busy lines.
One of these is on Vine Road in Barnes, which also
has another a few yards away crossing the Hounslow
Loop. As the latter has at least another 8tph, car
drivers on that road have 25 tph to contend with.

This part of the Hounslow Loop presumably has freight trafic as
well, since there is a curve at Kew Bridge specifically for it.

Yes. Is there any online information about freight paths, particularly
concerning freight trains on the Hounslow Loop and the NLL?

The only other road which would seem to come close to Vine Lane

[Vine *Road*]
is Bollo Lane, which also has two level crossings.

Peak 8tph on NLL plus the freight trains on the other crossing
(NLL-Hounslow Loop link).

--
Richard J.

Old April 26th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Q
writes
Is this an AHB or a controlled crossing (do the barriers block the road
completely, or only half of it)? If controlled, then there won't be
"near misses", just delays while idiots have the barriers bounced off
their car roofs (I've seen it done).

- I think (Last time I was up that way) the barriers did not block the
entire road, just the on-coming lane in each direction

That would be an AHB.