Old May 1st 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kingsway Tram Subway open to the general public

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 at 21:24:31, Peter Smyth
wrote:

The conductor is correct. The request/compulsory stop distinction only
applies to people getting on, if you want to get off you have to ring the
bell at any stop.

Peter Smyth

Since when? I've never heard *that* one......
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004

Old May 1st 04, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"MetroGnome" wrote in message news:79vkc.1285$7S2.126@newsfe1-win...
"John Rowland" wrote:

I wondered about the roundels in the station. Did all tram stops have a
plethora of roundels?

No - just the two sub-surface stations. These roundels were situated at two

2 sub surface? Where was the other one?

B2003
Old May 1st 04, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
2 sub surface? Where was the other one?

B2003

The two were (I think) at Holborn and Aldwych

--
David

Old May 1st 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

om...

"John Rowland" wrote:

I wondered about the roundels in the station. Did all tram stops have

plethora of roundels?

No - just the two sub-surface stations. These roundels were situated at

two

2 sub surface? Where was the other one?

B2003

If you were to go past the first tram stop (near Holborn) and go as far
along as possible you come to the ramp where the cars have taken over the
other half of the tunnel. Under that ramp there is a small entry on each
side where you can squeeze thru to find yourself between the walls of the
tram tunnel and the newer road tunnel (about a metre wide). There you can
still see the advertising boards and the remains of a roundel circle at what
was the Aldwych stop.
Take a look at the various Kingsway websites and someone will have pics of
this area. Obviously you can work it out when aboveground cos you can see
the road ramp exit.
http://www.starfury.demon.co.uk/uground/ has the pics I mean.

HTH,
Nick P

Old May 1st 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The conductor is correct. The request/compulsory stop distinction only
applies to people getting on, if you want to get off you have to ring the
bell at any stop.

Peter Smyth

Since when? I've never heard *that* one......

It seems to have sneaked in sometime in the last ten years or so!

I don't think the TfL website is entirely clear. It states, in
describing the types of bus stop 'Compulsory Buses will
automatically stop, unless they are full, except Night Buses -' but
this is subtly under a 'boarding' heading.

Also 'When you want to get off the bus ring the bell once, and well in
advance to let the driver know..' It would help if it said this
applied to all types of stop. (In fact it doesn't even explain that
the bus will only stop to let you off at a bus stop sign!)

I wonder if bus companies outside London use the same rules?
--
Peter Lawrence

Old May 1st 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Compulsory stops (was: Kingsway Tram Subway open to ...)

Peter Lawrence:
the TfL website ... states, in describing the types of bus stop
'Compulsory Buses will automatically stop, unless they are full,
except Night Buses -' but this is subtly under a 'boarding' heading.

I wonder if bus companies outside London use the same rules?

Do British bus companies outside London generally *have* the distinction
between request and compulsory stops? It doesn't exist on any bus system
in North America that I know about, and likewise for continental Europe.
--
Mark Brader | "It can be amusing, even if painful, to watch the
Toronto | ethnocentrism of those who are convinced their
Old May 2nd 04, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

In article , Boltar
writes
Just beyond you have the old
station and here for some reason a thin layer of concrete (or something like
it) has been poured over the tracks.

Wild speculation: I wonder if there's been any movie filming done down
there? If so, it might be as a safety measure or to make it esy to lay a
camera track.

offI fell asleep watching 'the Russia House' on ITV1 last night, but
not before I noticed the large panes of glass/perspex fitted over the
outside of the church (there's a lot of plot development at the top of
an open, onion-dome bell tower). My guess is that it was because of wind
blowing through, making dialogue impossible to record properly (or
perhaps because just to keep cast + crew warm. It was probably freezing
up there). I never noticed it in the cinema, but after being graded for
TV, the reflections were clearly obvious, especially if the camera
tracked or panned quickly. /off

Movie productions go to amazing lengths, for example all the Minis used
underground in the remake of the Italian Job were actually electric, to
comply with the authorities' requirements.

"I said charge it, not blow the bloody battery up!"

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
Old May 2nd 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 02 May 2004 09:03:42 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig
wrote:

In article , Boltar
writes
Just beyond you have the old
station and here for some reason a thin layer of concrete (or something like
it) has been poured over the tracks.

Wild speculation: I wonder if there's been any movie filming done down
there? If so, it might be as a safety measure or to make it esy to lay a
camera track.

The was a scene in Stephen Poliakoff's 1990 film 'Hidden City' shot in
the tunnel; see my web-page:

http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...lmtv/hcity.htm
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old May 3rd 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Nick Pedley" wrote in message ...
other half of the tunnel. Under that ramp there is a small entry on each
side where you can squeeze thru to find yourself between the walls of the
tram tunnel and the newer road tunnel (about a metre wide). There you can

Why on earth did they put fake walls in the car tunnel?? Why not keep the
tunnel as it was and just resurface it?

B2003