Old April 28th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Kingsway Tram Subway open to the general public

Just found this on a bus mailing list:

The Kingsway Subway has been open to the public for the past few days.
The occasion is an art exhibition organised by the St Martins College of
Art just across the road from the entrance. It runs from 23-29 April I
believe. While the LT Museum has organised a few prebooked visits to the
subway in the past, and I faintly recall Ian Allan advertising a visit
many years ago, this is I believe the first time, since the trams went,
that members of the public have been able to simply walk in off the street,
free of charge, down the slope and explore the subway, as far
as I think halfway down Kingsway.

--
MetroGnome
~~~~~~~~~~

Old April 28th 04, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Erm, we don't have a subway on the kingsway in Dundee.

Can you enlighten me as to which city you are talking about ? (OK I can tell by the reply headers that this is London, but it does not help reading uk.rec.subterranean)

There is life outside of London

AJM

Old April 28th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"MetroGnome" wrote in

Just found this on a bus mailing list:

The Kingsway Subway has been open to the public for the past few days.
The occasion is an art exhibition organised by the St Martins College of
Art just across the road from the entrance. It runs from 23-29 April I
believe. While the LT Museum has organised a few prebooked visits to the
subway in the past, and I faintly recall Ian Allan advertising a visit
many years ago, this is I believe the first time, since the trams went,
that members of the public have been able to simply walk in off the
street, free of charge, down the slope and explore the subway, as far as
I think halfway down Kingsway.

see http://www.thoughtcrime.org.uk/ - described as "The show will
inaugurate this space as a gallery"

Old April 28th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Dr Fish" wrote in message ...
Erm, we don't have a subway on the kingsway in Dundee.

Can you enlighten me as to which city you are talking about ? (OK I can tell by the reply headers that this is London, but it does not help reading uk.rec.subterranean)

There is life outside of London

AJM

We are of course talking about the Kingsway tram subway in London, what you do have in Dundee however is a nuclear bunker at Craigiebarns which is well worth a visit. Unfortunately not open to the public but visits can be arranged.

Nick

Old April 28th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

"Dr Fish" wrote in message ...
Erm, we don't have a subway on the kingsway in Dundee.

Can you enlighten me as to which city you are talking about ? (OK I can tell by the reply headers that this is London, but it does not help reading uk.rec.subterranean)

There is life outside of London

AJM

Life, Jim, but not as we know it !! Sorry, couldn't resist that one !!
--
Cheerz,
Baz
Old April 29th 04, 05:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The Kingsway Subway has been open to the public for the past few days.
this is I believe the first time, since the trams went, that
members of the public have been able to simply walk in off the
street, free of charge, down the slope and explore the subway ...

Most likely the first time *ever*. The general public would hardly
have been permitted to enter by walking along the tracks when it was
in service, would they?
--
Mark Brader, "It is impossible. Solution follows..."
Toronto, -- Richard Heathfield
Old April 29th 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Well today I ventured down the tunnels and I'm glad I did , was a very
interesting experience. The so called "art" exhibition (its the usual
modern-art pretentious pseudo-intellectual crap conjured up by art students
who can't even spell "talent" , never mind muster any) hardly takes up any
space so most of the tunnels are as-is.
The initial section from the ramp looks pretty untouched , the tracks are
still in place and nothing extra has been added. Just beyond you have the old
station and here for some reason a thin layer of concrete (or something like
it) has been poured over the tracks. However the rest of it remains
unaffected , even the old exits are still there and the stairs just end as
gratings in the street above. South beyond the station the tracks reappear
and continue right along to the current "end" of the tunnel (which you weren't
supposed to go down but I did anyway). I put end in quotes since the untouched
part of the tunnel ends in some brick structures blocking most of it and
some concrete beams appearing in the roof. You could walk further down but
there was no lighting and I couldn't see how much further it went, presumably
not much as the "new" ramp to the bit of the tunnel converted to a road would
start soon.
One thing worried me about this visit. The iron beams holding up the roof
are also holding up part of the road above and I'm not sure I'd really want
to be in a 40 ton truck driving across some pretty rusty looking beams.

Well worth a visit all in all. I hope they open them up again in future
though preferable without the junk masquarading as art inside.

B2003
Old April 29th 04, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

(Boltar) wrote the following in:
om

Well today I ventured down the tunnels and I'm glad I did , was a
very interesting experience. The so called "art" exhibition (its
the usual modern-art pretentious pseudo-intellectual crap conjured
up by art students who can't even spell "talent" , never mind
muster any) hardly takes up any space so most of the tunnels are
as-is.

The art is pretty astonishingly crap. It is indeed the usual poorly
done left wing student crap. I could have done better myself.

Well worth a visit all in all. I hope they open them up again in
future though preferable without the junk masquarading as art
inside.

It was very interesting being able to have a look round. It would be
brilliant if they opened it again. When I looked there was a strange
combination of art-studenty looking type and transport enthusiasts, and
a few odd people who looked like a combination of the two. I'd rather
stupidly left my good camera at home so the photos I did take will turn
out horrible probably. I saw someone taking quite a lot of photos and
if he's around here I'd very much appreciate it if he put some up on
the internet.

--
message by Robin May, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.