Old January 13th 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default kingsway tram and the central line

I was standing on the westbound central line platform at holborn
yesterday, and I noticed that the western end of the platform has this
wierd jutting out bit over the tracks, a bit like a very thin bridge
over the tracks.

Considering that the entrances to the platform are at the ends of the
escalators, and centred on the middle of the platform, the western end
of the platform must be very close to Kingsway.

The central line is only one flight of escalators, so it must only
just be lower than the Kingsway tram tunnel - could the bridge-like
thing on the platform be the bottom corner of the tram tunnel?

Makes me wonder whether the door at that end of the platform leads
into it, or could it just be a disused interchange with the picadilly
line platforms?

Old January 14th 09, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 13, 11:08*pm, lonelytraveller
wrote:
The central line is only one flight of escalators, so it must only
just be lower than the Kingsway tram tunnel - could the bridge-like
thing on the platform be the bottom corner of the tram tunnel?

Doubt it - the tram tunnel is huge** so it would be a lot wider than
that. And its not very deep anyway, much shallower than the central
line.

Makes me wonder whether the door at that end of the platform leads
into it, or could it just be a disused interchange with the picadilly
line platforms?

Probably something like that.

** Went down there about 7 years ago when they had an art exhibition
in the tunnels. Usual talentless modern art cr@p - the people in
charge were most put out that almost everyone was down their to
explore the tunnels , not stare at repainted hamster cages stacked on
top of each other or whatever mindless rubbish the "artists" had
thrown together.

B2003

Old January 17th 09, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 17, 6:27*pm, "Peter Lawrence" wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 04:22:27 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Jan 13, 11:08=A0pm, lonelytraveller
wrote:
The central line is only one flight of escalators, so it must only
just be lower than the Kingsway tram tunnel - could the bridge-like
thing on the platform be the bottom corner of the tram tunnel?

Doubt it - the tram tunnel is huge** so it would be a lot wider than
that. And its not very deep anyway, much shallower than the central
line.

Did the tram tunnel extend so far north anyhow? *

If it's what I'm thinking of it pops out at the junction of
Southampton Row and Theobalds Road, in which case yes.
Old January 17th 09, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

There's a map here http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ay/index.shtml.

Old January 17th 09, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote...
Doubt it - the tram tunnel is huge** so it would be a lot wider than
that. And its not very deep anyway, much shallower than the central
line.

Did the tram tunnel extend so far north anyhow?

Yes; the original entrance is about 50 metres north of the tube station.
--

Andrew

Interviewer: Tonight I'm interviewing that famous nurse, Florence
Nightingale
Tommy Cooper (dressed as a nurse): Sir Florence Nightingale
Interviewer: *Sir* Florence Nightingale?
Tommy Cooper: I'm a Night Nurse

Campaign For The Real Tommy Cooper

Old January 18th 09, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan, 21:47, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
"Peter Lawrence" wrote...
Doubt it - the tram tunnel is huge** so it would be a lot wider than
that. And its not very deep anyway, much shallower than the central
line.

Did the tram tunnel extend so far north anyhow?

Yes; the original entrance is about 50 metres north of the tube station.
--

Andrew

Interviewer: Tonight I'm interviewing that famous nurse, Florence
Nightingale
Tommy Cooper (dressed as a nurse): Sir Florence Nightingale
Interviewer: **Sir* Florence Nightingale?
Tommy Cooper: I'm a Night Nurse

Campaign For The Real Tommy Cooper

how far west is the central line platform? is the bridge-like indent
at the western end close enough to the tram tunnel?
Old January 19th 09, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
The central line is only one flight of escalators, so it must only
just be lower than the Kingsway tram tunnel - could the bridge-like
thing on the platform be the bottom corner of the tram tunnel?

Doubt it - the tram tunnel is huge** so it would be a lot wider than
that. And its not very deep anyway, much shallower than the central
line.

Did the tram tunnel extend so far north anyhow? *

If it's what I'm thinking of it pops out at the junction of
Southampton Row and Theobalds Road, in which case yes.

There's a map herehttp://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/k/kingsway_tram_subway/index....

You've got to laugh at the GLC flood control centre. I wonder what
genius decided to locate it in one of the first places that would
flood? Why didn't they just go the whole way and locate it in a tube
station? Bunch of idiots.

B2003
Old January 19th 09, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 18 Jan, 13:53, lonelytraveller
wrote:
On 17 Jan, 21:47, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote...
Doubt it - the tram tunnel is huge** so it would be a lot wider than
that. And its not very deep anyway, much shallower than the central
line.
Did the tram tunnel extend so far north anyhow?

Yes; the original entrance is about 50 metres north of the tube station..
--

Andrew

Interviewer: Tonight I'm interviewing that famous nurse, Florence
Nightingale
Tommy Cooper (dressed as a nurse): Sir Florence Nightingale
Interviewer: **Sir* Florence Nightingale?
Tommy Cooper: I'm a Night Nurse

Campaign For The Real Tommy Cooper

how far west is the central line platform? is the bridge-like indent
at the western end close enough to the tram tunnel?

As well as the Central Line probably being too deep (I haven't seen
the tram tunnels, but assume shallow), I actually don't think the
platforms go far enough west.

Basically, there's an overhang at the western end of both platforms,
but on the eastbound platform there's also a door to some kind of
signal control room, so I suspect that is what's above the tracks.
Old January 21st 09, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Did the tram tunnel extend so far north anyhow?

The tunnel mouth is level with Fisher Street, and the slope to ground level
ends at the Theobalds Road junction... its emergence in the middle of the
road is still easy to find.