Old May 1st 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kingsway Tram Subway open to the general public

"Peter Beale" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,

(Peter Smyth) wrote:

The conductor is correct. The request/compulsory stop distinction only
applies to people getting on, if you want to get off you have to ring
the bell at any stop.

Well, that's certainly a new one. Many years ago some of the old stops had
words such as "All buses stop here", "Buses stop here by request", and in
many years of travel by LT that has been the assumption: Bus Stop meant
bus stop unless qualified by Request.

I recall, in my youth, ringing the bell on a bus. The bus stopped and I
descended from the platform to find that I was only halfway up a steep
hill - the stop I wanted was at the top. Fortunately, my hand had not left
the rail so I hauled myself back up onto the platform where the conductress
told me that, as my foot had touched the ground, I was deemed to have
completed my journey and that she was entitled to make for pay my fare again
for this 'new' journey!

While I pondered on this horrific proposition, the following exchange took
place:

She: How old are you?
Me: Eleven.
She: And what colour was that stop?
Me: Red.
She: And what colour is the stop you want to get off at?
Me: White.
She: And what does a red stop mean?
Me: Request.
She: And a white one?
Me: Compulsory.
She: DON'T YOU EVER RING THE BELL AGAIN ON MY BUS FOR A COMPULSORY STOP! IS
THAT CLEAR?
Me: Yes.

At this point, the bus stopped at my compulsory stop and I was mercifully
able to make my escape!

I encountered this woman many times over the next 15 years or so, both on
and off buses. She was both human and ruthlessly efficient at her job. (I
also found out that the driver was her husband.)

If she was still around (unlikely, as this all happened nearly 50 years
ago*) I can assure you that she would make mincemeat of any driver or
conductor who doesn't know what a Compulsory stop means - just as she did to
me all those years ago!

* Pity - I'd like to be a spectator at the event, this time!

Terry

Old May 3rd 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 01 May 2004 11:17:31 +0100, Terry Casey wrote:

If she was still around (unlikely, as this all happened nearly 50 years
ago*) I can assure you that she would make mincemeat of any driver or
conductor who doesn't know what a Compulsory stop means - just as she did to
me all those years ago!

Not all that long ago, I got a telling-off from a Blackpool tram conductor
for doing the very same thing - that operation is at least 50 years in the
past! What I didn't know was that there are lots of small stops without
platforms or proper signs, and the tram stopped at one of those instead of
where I wanted.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read