Old April 30th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL in peril yet again

I see the East London Line has now got yet another vote of no confidence
from central government. What angers me is that noone seems to be
accountable for this abject failure to build a railway that has always
had surefire economic benefit.

M.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...ing%20Standard

Old April 30th 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"marcb" wrote in message
I see the East London Line has now got yet another vote of no confidence
from central government. What angers me is that noone seems to be
accountable for this abject failure to build a railway that has always
had surefire economic benefit.

M.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...ing%20Standard

Where are the Olympic Games facilities (existing or proposed) located, and
how would the ELL extension serve them?

Old April 30th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

marcb wrote in message ...
I see the East London Line has now got yet another vote of no confidence
from central government. What angers me is that noone seems to be
accountable for this abject failure to build a railway that has always
had surefire economic benefit.

M.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...ing%20Standard

I got so fed up at this that I went and got a response straight from
the horse's mouth. According to the ELLP contact, all the bureaucratic
crap is finished, and all they need now is formal permission to
approach the construction industry for the purposes of building the
extension.

I guess 2010 was a good forecast after all.

Brad
Old April 30th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"marcb" wrote in message
I see the East London Line has now got yet another vote of no confidence
from central government. What angers me is that noone seems to be
accountable for this abject failure to build a railway that has always
had surefire economic benefit.

M.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...ing%20Standard

According to the London Development Agency (see
http://www.lda.gov.uk/mediaoffice/pr...8.asp?print=1),
an "Olympic Zone" is to be developed in the Lower Lea Valley, extending from
the Thames to Stratford. But the proposed East London Line extension would
not pass anywhere near the River Lea. Nor would it pass near any other
sports facilities that would be used for the Olympic Games.

The "surefire economic benefit" of the ELL extension is debatable, but
that's another story.

Old April 30th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
able.rogers.com,
David Fairthorne writes

According to the London Development Agency (see
http://www.lda.gov.uk/mediaoffice/pr...8.asp?print=1),
an "Olympic Zone" is to be developed in the Lower Lea Valley, extending from
the Thames to Stratford.

But a large number of events are also expected to take place outside
that area (Beach Volley Ball on Horse Guards Parade is one that takes my
breath away).

But the proposed East London Line extension would
not pass anywhere near the River Lea. Nor would it pass near any other
sports facilities that would be used for the Olympic Games.

I thought the National Sports Centre at Crystal Palace (ELL) was likely
to be a major Olympics venue, at least for training purposes?

Also, events such as Sailing (probably Weymouth), Rowing (Eton),
Shooting (Bisley) and Tennis (Wimbledon) can all be reached from Clapham
Junction (ELL) - the ELLE making the east-west journey possible without
crossing central London.

Of course, the mystery is how well the ELLE might serve Stratford - the
Jubilee exchange at Canada Water is a cheap and cheerful answer, but I
suspect there was always a lingering hope of an eastward extension at
Dalstan for the games.

But the real mystery goes much deeper - Stratford will almost surely
become an "international transport hub", but nobody seems very clear how
the Lea Valley, should it become the "Olympics Zone", will connect with
that international hub.

In such a context, the ELLE does start to seem rather small fry!
--
Paul Terry

Old April 30th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message
able.rogers.com,
David Fairthorne writes

According to the London Development Agency (see

http://www.lda.gov.uk/mediaoffice/pr...28.asp?print=1)

,
an "Olympic Zone" is to be developed in the Lower Lea Valley, extending

from
the Thames to Stratford.

But a large number of events are also expected to take place outside
that area (Beach Volley Ball on Horse Guards Parade is one that takes my
breath away).

But the proposed East London Line extension would
not pass anywhere near the River Lea. Nor would it pass near any other
sports facilities that would be used for the Olympic Games.

I thought the National Sports Centre at Crystal Palace (ELL) was likely
to be a major Olympics venue, at least for training purposes?

"With the track, a 50m pool and an indoor sports hall, Crystal Palace could
make an ideal holding camp for any one of the 200 countries that may
complete in London in 2012." All options for training facilities for the
Games are being worked on at the moment, he added, and the bid team was
"delighted" that Crystal Palace has been confirmed as one of those options.

The above comes from the site
http://www.london2012.org/en/news/ar...2-24-12-40.htm

How many "confirmed optional" passengers are we talking about here, and over
what period?

Also, events such as Sailing (probably Weymouth), Rowing (Eton),
Shooting (Bisley) and Tennis (Wimbledon) can all be reached from Clapham
Junction (ELL) - the ELLE making the east-west journey possible without
crossing central London.

It takes you to Clapham Junction, where you can catch a train to Woking,
where you can catch a train to Weymouth!

Of course, the mystery is how well the ELLE might serve Stratford - the
Jubilee exchange at Canada Water is a cheap and cheerful answer, but I
suspect there was always a lingering hope of an eastward extension at
Dalstan for the games.

That would be more relevant, but the ELL extension is supposed to go to
Highbury!

But the real mystery goes much deeper - Stratford will almost surely
become an "international transport hub", but nobody seems very clear how
the Lea Valley, should it become the "Olympics Zone", will connect with
that international hub.

There's no shortage of railways in that general area. How close is new the
hub to Stratford station?

Old May 1st 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ogers.com,
David Fairthorne writes

Crystal Palace

How many "confirmed optional" passengers are we talking about here, and over
what period?

No idea - I was merely pointing out that the ELLE may well have a
peripheral role in Olympics transport, since it provides a route to the
National Sports Centre (and out to venues SW of London) that avoids
central London. I have never thought the ELLE has any claim to being a
key element in Olympics travel.

There's no shortage of railways in that general area. How close is new the
hub to Stratford station?

The Olympic village would best be served by the hypothecated Temple
Mills station (*) - unfortunately, passenger services on the Stratford -
Tottenham Hale line are not too good at present - and the DLR has
still not made up its mind whether it wants to go as far as Temple
Mills.

Failing that, Stratford International will be closest to the village,
and Leyton (Central line) is probably closest to the more northerly
venues such as the Velodrome and Baseball stadium.

For the main stadium, the closest stations are Hackney Wick (hence a
possible ELLE link) and Pudding Mill Lane (DLR). Stratford itself is not
particularly near to any of the venues except the aqauatic centre.

Of course, none of the distances from stations are vast, but I haven't
seen anything that really resembles a coherent transport plan for the
main Olympics complex - just the general claim that Stratford will be an
international transport hub, and the hope that a station at Temple Mills
would be rather useful.

(*) If the NLL is diverted up the Lea Valley route to Tottenham Hale, it
could actually serve two of the main Olympics sites (the village at
Temple Mills and the main stadium near Hackney Wick) - a sobering
thought!
--
Paul Terry
Old May 1st 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote in message ...
Of course, none of the distances from stations are vast, but I haven't
seen anything that really resembles a coherent transport plan for the
main Olympics complex - just the general claim that Stratford will be an

I suspect thats because the politicians know that London has about as much
chance of staging the Olympics as Eygpt does for the 2005 downhill skiing
championships. Even in politics reality occasionally creeps in and there is
sod all chance of the olympic commitee going ahead in a city that can't even
transport its normal day to day population properly , never mind being able to
manage a few hundrends of thousands (or even millions?) of extra visitors.

Personally I'm not too upset about the ELL not going ahead. If it was to be
a proper tube line then fine , but I'd rather my tax money was spent on
something other than a bit of track to join up a load of **** poor TOCs
just so they can **** up east london travel as much as they have everywhere
else.

B2003
Old May 1st 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Personally I'm not too upset about the ELL not going ahead. If it was to be
a proper tube line then fine , but I'd rather my tax money was spent on
something other than a bit of track to join up a load of **** poor TOCs
just so they can **** up east london travel as much as they have everywhere
else.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any "east london travel" that does the
job the ELL would, and so I can't see how the ELL could **** up travel
routes that don't exist. It might not improve them as much as we might
hope, I suppose. Do you have a more cogent argument that you can advance?

#Paul
Old May 1st 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london