Old May 11th 04, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Going Down......

In article , Annabel Smyth
writes
Anybody else have a journey that is either "all downstairs" or "all
upstairs" (one journey I occasionally do, between Herne Hill & Streatham
on the Thameslink is stairs up in both directions Southbound).

Doing this on a journey without changes is easy. For example, if the
High Barnet branch is broken then my journey to work is King's Cross
(down escalator) to Golders Green (down stairs), then bus.

More interesting would be to find the journey with the greatest number
of changes that only has downwards (or level) walking movements.

I can construct a complete loop:
* Tottenham Court Road, start on the Northern
* Leicester Square, change to Piccadilly
* King's Cross, change back to Northern (!)
* Bank, change to DLR
* Stratford, change to Central
* Tottenham Court Road, back to the Northern again

but people may consider this cheating. Any proposals for the longest
possible journey, or the journey with most links, without repeating a
station?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 11th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote the
following in:

"Geoff Marshall" wrote in message

Slightly off topic.. but there is only ONE tube station
on the map, where after going through the ticket
barriers, you go UP an escaltor to get to
platform/train level!

Care to have a guess anyone?

The pre-JLE answer was Greenford, but I'm not sure if West Ham,

You also have to go down an escalator at West Ham. I don't know if that
means it doesn't count. The NLL platform just has stairs down to it but
I don't know if stairs make it not count or if national rail platforms
are allowed to count.

Canning Town

I can't believe I missed this one! I forgot he said "after the ticket
barriers" because I was thinking the fact you go down escalators when
entering the station means it doesn't count. You can of course go down
the stairs too but I thought that would also make it not count
(although obviously seeing as they're before you go through the ticket
gates it doesn't matter). Of Canning Town, West Ham and Stratford,
Canning Town is the only one where after passing through the ticket
gates you only go up on an escalator without going down at all.

--
message by Robin May, but I would say that, wouldn't I?
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old May 11th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

Roland Perry wrote in message ...
In message v0Unc.268$Xs2.15@newsfe1-win, Geoff Marshall
writes
Slightly off topic.. but there is only ONE tube station on the map, where
after going through the ticket barriers, you go UP an escaltor to get to
platform/train level!

Care to have a guess anyone?

Putney Bridge? (It's upstairs, I can't remember if it has an escalator).

Doesn't Ravenscourt Park have escalators up to the platforms?

Old May 11th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 11 May 2004 at 00:14:47, Geoff Marshall
wrote:

Slightly off topic.. but there is only ONE tube station on the map, where
after going through the ticket barriers, you go UP an escaltor to get to
platform/train level!

Care to have a guess anyone?

Canning Town. So if Greenford is like that, then there are two.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004