Old May 10th 04, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Abandoned railway loop in Wembley

Hi all,

In South Way, the place where the abandoned loop crossed the road is clearly
visible - just west of Second Way, the road seems to pass over a slightly
humped bridge, although the bridge isn't over anything. However, I was
confused by viaducts on the correct alignment either side of the road, at
road height. The most plausible explanation was that these viaducts carried
the railway, and that the bump in the road was actually a level crossing,
not a bridge. But the viaducts don't look like railway viaducts, and I can't
see why the railway would be so high up, when the remaining railway through
Wembley Stadium station is in such a deep cutting. Any clues? TIA.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 10th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:22:59 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Hi all,

In South Way, the place where the abandoned loop crossed the road is clearly
visible - just west of Second Way, the road seems to pass over a slightly
humped bridge, although the bridge isn't over anything. However, I was
confused by viaducts on the correct alignment either side of the road, at
road height. The most plausible explanation was that these viaducts carried
the railway, and that the bump in the road was actually a level crossing,
not a bridge. But the viaducts don't look like railway viaducts, and I can't
see why the railway would be so high up, when the remaining railway through
Wembley Stadium station is in such a deep cutting. Any clues? TIA.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Having grown up in the Wembley area, I can tell you Wembley did have
Five Stations.

Wembley Stadium Station was indeed on a loop line and was built to
serve the British Empire Exhibition in 1927. The track was a
single-line loop leaving the GCR rails just past Neasden sidings. The
loop would have been about one-mile in length, returning back upon
itself. I have vague recollections of the station buildings and small
platform all being build of wood. I never journeyed from there and it
was not an easy station to find unless you knew where it was, within
the huge Business and Industrial estate which surrounded it. In
itself a rather remote place. Trains using the branch could also have
joined the cross-London freight line at Brent Sidings or was it
Silkstone Junction?

Certainly the station survived until well into the 1970's, though the
single track had been lifted by then. During the early 1970's quite a
few buildings left over from the Empire Exhibition still survived and
were used by such companies as Firestone Tyres & Columbus Dixon floor
polishers. British Communications (Racal) had a factory and offices
right at the end of Fourth Way and thier site backed directly onto the
tracks from Marylebone to Wembley Hill. The Palace of Engineering and
those little decorative lakes behind the Empire Pool were still there
in 1974 and parts of the huge old scenic railway, much of it left in
bits could still be found in places.

Nigel
Old May 11th 04, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nigel " wrote in message

The Palace of Engineering and those little
decorative lakes behind the Empire Pool
were still there in 1974

The Palace of Engineering is still there now!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 11th 04, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote...
"Nigel " wrote in message

The Palace of Engineering and those little
decorative lakes behind the Empire Pool
were still there in 1974

The Palace of Engineering is still there now!

One of the extras on the "Doctor Who: Dalek Invasion of Earth" DVD is a
documentary about the locations used in filming. The usual then-and-now
stuff, including the Empire Exhibition site at Wembley. It also features
the old White City station. Might be worth a look if you like that sort of
thing.

Old May 11th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Nigel " wrote in message

The Palace of Engineering and those little
decorative lakes behind the Empire Pool
were still there in 1974

The Palace of Engineering is still there now!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

The Palace of Engineering was a rug warehouse of the expensive kind when we
visited it. We still have the (very high quality) chinese rugs we bought.
Can't remember exactly when without consulting the oracle, but it was
probably 8 years ago. If I'd known beforehand exactly where we we were
visiting I would have taken my camera!

Peter Corser

Old May 11th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Corser" wrote in message
"John Rowland" wrote in message
The Palace of Engineering is still there now!
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

The Palace of Engineering was a rug warehouse of the expensive kind when

we
visited it. We still have the (very high quality) chinese rugs we bought.
Can't remember exactly when without consulting the oracle, but it was
probably 8 years ago. If I'd known beforehand exactly where we we were
visiting I would have taken my camera!
Peter Corser

The rug people were called Eastern Khayam but their business folded (sorry
!!) some years ago, there were about five enormous areas filled to the
gunwales with piles (sorry !!) of rugs worth up to £24,000 each. It is
strange that there are/have been quite a lot of rug importers & wholesalers
on that estate. I have a very brief (3 secs) video clip of the Never-Stop
Railway which was on the site during the Empire Exhibition. In original
(avi) form it is 1.75Mb, in mpg form it is 585Kb and as a very poor quality
wmv clip its only 26 Kb - if any body wants a copy let me know.
Cheerz,
Baz

Old May 11th 04, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marratxi" wrote in message

It is strange that there are/have been quite a lot
of rug importers & wholesalers on that estate.

I noticed that and wondered about it on the day I was there.

I also noticed the "Middlesex Meat Company" - I would have thought meat
products should always bear a brandname which suggests they are less than 40
years old.

I have a very brief (3 secs) video clip of the
Never-Stop Railway which was on the site
during the Empire Exhibition.

I would love a copy. Please send me the avi and the mpeg. Thanks.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 11th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marratxi" wrote in message
It is strange that there are/have been quite a lot
of rug importers & wholesalers on that estate.

I noticed that and wondered about it on the day I was there.
I also noticed the "Middlesex Meat Company" - I would have thought meat
products should always bear a brandname which suggests they are less than

40
years old.

I have a very brief (3 secs) video clip of the
Never-Stop Railway which was on the site
during the Empire Exhibition.

I would love a copy. Please send me the avi and the mpeg. Thanks.

Clips sent as requested. In addition to the firms already mentioned I seem
to recall that Strand Electrics, who supply a lot of the lighting for films
and theatre, had a place there.
Cheerz,
Baz

Old May 12th 04, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marratxi" wrote in message

I have a very brief (3 secs) video clip of the
Never-Stop Railway which was on the site
during the Empire Exhibition.

Clips sent as requested.

Thanks, that made my day! I'm sure the bevy of ladies must be models rather
than Josephine Public.

In addition to the firms already mentioned I seem
to recall that Strand Electrics, who supply a lot of
the lighting for films and theatre, had a place there.

Now moved to Londonderry, it would appear.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 12th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:56:49 +0100, "Marratxi"
wrote:

Clips sent as requested. In addition to the firms already mentioned I seem
to recall that Strand Electrics, who supply a lot of the lighting for films
and theatre, had a place there.
Cheerz,
Baz

The entire site of the Empire Exhibition, was once quite interesting.
With the sands-of-time passing and the redevelopment of the Stadium
the entire area has undergone major development and has seem many
changes over the years.

The site was once an 18-hole Golf Course before becoming the grounds
for the Empire Exhibition.

The Empire Stadium, as it was originally known, was built by
architects Sir John Simpson and Maxwell Ayerton, and the engineer Sir
Owen Williams. It took just 300 days to complete at a cost of 750,000,
and was built from 25,000 tons of ferro concrete, 1000 tons of steel,
and over half a million rivets.

The Empire Exhibition was a remarkable event, with fountains, lakes,
gardens and many pavilions, each representing the architectural style
of the countries exhibiting. It was opened by King George V on 23rd
April 1924, and was an immediate success. It even re-opened between
May and October the following year which lifted the final attendance
to 27,102,498. There were 4,500,000 admissions to the Empire Stadium
alone.

The 'Flying Scotsman' locomotive was exhibited there.

Many odd bits of the exhibition centre and grounds did hang around for
a long time after 1927.

The Empire Pool has seen hundreds of uses over the years, though its
initial construction was as an Olympic swimming and diving pool.
Better known as an ice stadium. There is a huge cavernous vault
underneath the building, that housed amonia tanks etc, for the ice
rink. Behind the Empire Pool were once three lakes, these weren't
filled-in until the early 70's. and were crosed by several little
arched bridges. I believe the elevated endless railway ran close-by
to these lakes.

Can anyone remember that enormous ski-jump that was erected inside
Wembley Statium on the early 1960's?

Associated Redifusion moved into studios there sometime in the late
50's early 60's.

One of the buildings/palaces just off Olympic Way, was once used by
Firestone Tyres and was a dreadful mess and eyesore in 1972.

Just along Empire Way. close to its junction with Wembley Hill,
was/still is a building with a half-domed shape on the side of it.
This was, I believe, one of the first semi-circular cinema screens.
The building was later used by Columbus Dixon the firm that made floor
polishing machinery.

Right at the end of Fouth Way, which was once a very quiet part of the
estate, was British Communications (Racal) and between Fourth Way and
what is now the Stadium Business centre was 'Dancers Hall' used as a
paint and sprayshop by BCC.

The railway station now named Wembley Statium, was formerly called,
Wembley Complex and before that Wembley Hill. This was an almost
rural and very little used station in the 1960's, it hardly saw any
passenger traffic at all except when the Stadium was being used for a
major event. I remember it something rather like a 'timewarp' with its
little dimly lit ticket office fronting onto Wembley Hill Road. The
huge tower block hotel next door to this station was named the Esso
Hotel when initially built.

Wembley Stadium Statium Station has disappeared completely, though
some of the trackbed of its loop line might still be evident. Does
anyone have an old map showing the exact line of rail, they could let
me have a scan of? or is there anything on a website?

Two structures always dominated the Wembley skyline. The GEC Tower at
North Wembley and the twin towers of the Stadium, both have now
disappeared for ever.

I've not been back there since 1972, so much will have changed since
my recollections of this place.

Nigel