Old April 4th 19, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Other stock on the ELL

While I was waiting (as usual) at highbury the other day for an ELL train and
watched a freight train go past on the NLL, I wondered what other stock or
locomotives are allowed on the ELL, perhaps for transfers or track maintenance.
Anyone know?

Old April 6th 19, 10:14 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I certainly don't know but my guess is that only track servicing
trains are authorised in addition to the usual 378s. I'd like to know
if normal freight trains could use the route without damage.
Old April 7th 19, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 11:14:09 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

I certainly don't know but my guess is that only track servicing
trains are authorised in addition to the usual 378s. I'd like to know
if normal freight trains could use the route without damage.

My oldish sectional appendix suggests that class 378 are cleared, as
are Mk 1 and Mk 2 coaches if forming part of a track recording unit.
Class 73s have the same restriction whereas class 66 are cleared.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old April 7th 19, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I certainly don't know but my guess is that only track servicing
trains are authorised in addition to the usual 378s. I'd like to know
if normal freight trains could use the route without damage.

My oldish sectional appendix suggests that class 378 are cleared, as

Well you'd hope given they run the service!

are Mk 1 and Mk 2 coaches if forming part of a track recording unit.
Class 73s have the same restriction whereas class 66 are cleared.

So 73s are resticted but the much longer and heavier 66s are allowed? Thats
wierd.

Old April 7th 19, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 11:14:09 +0100
Robin9 wrote:
I certainly don't know but my guess is that only track servicing
trains are authorised in addition to the usual 378s. I'd like to know
if normal freight trains could use the route without damage.

Even if the track circuits allowed them, I suspect freight trains of any
significant length would seriously struggle on the Dalston and Shorditch
inclines.

Old April 8th 19, 09:36 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

A good point, but on the other hand GOBLIN is a major freight
route and there is a steep incline in Walthamstow. The route
goes under Queens Road and rises to go over Boundary Road
in an area which is flat. There are no aggregate carrying trains
on the route and that might be the sticking point. Intermodal
and car-carrying trains work fine but 2000 tons of cement or
ballast might be too much.
Old April 8th 19, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 03:00:52PM +0000, wrote:

So 73s are resticted but the much longer and heavier 66s are allowed? Thats
wierd.

Maybe something to do with the 73s in electric mode being incompatible
with a system designed for modern electric stock?

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

You can't judge a book by its cover, unless you're a religious nutcase