Old April 24th 19, 10:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default D trains in service for the first time today - 23-4-19

On 23/04/2019 21:55, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 21:09:03 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
230004 entered service on the Bletchley - Bedford line today and here are
a couple of shots of it at Millbrook this evening after a tip-off:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

What do they sound like? A DMU or four Transit vans going past?

Just a low purring noise.

That's encouraging — they should be pretty quiet inside.

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

--
Basil Jet - Current favourite song...
Spratleys Japs - Hands (Marc Riley session)

Old April 24th 19, 11:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
230004 entered service on the Bletchley - Bedford line today and here are
a couple of shots of it at Millbrook this evening after a tip-off:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

What do they sound like? A DMU or four Transit vans going past?

Just a low purring noise.

That's encouraging — they should be pretty quiet inside.

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

Thanks, I'm impressed, as Geoff was. I hope Vivarail gets a lot more orders
for them.

Old April 25th 19, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 22:19:02 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:
[snip]

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

Thanks, I'm impressed, as Geoff was. I hope Vivarail gets a lot more orders
for them.

I'm impressed too. It looks like a good exercise in recycling and
reuse.

Maybe Vivarail could make a better job of refurbishing HSTs than
Wabtec.
Old April 25th 19, 09:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
NY NY is offline

wrote:
230004 entered service on the Bletchley - Bedford line today and here
are
a couple of shots of it at Millbrook this evening after a tip-off:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

What do they sound like? A DMU or four Transit vans going past?

Just a low purring noise.

That's encouraging — they should be pretty quiet inside.

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

Interesting that they've kept the sideways seats and the large amount of
standing room between them, which are more appropriate for a service with a
large number of closely-spaced stations (London Underground style) and
haven't converted *both* carriages to transverse 2+2 seating. Good that
there are some high-backed seats; shame that they are not all like that.

Despite the conversion, they still look and feel like tube trains, as far as
I can gather from Geoff's video. They still sound like tube trains, due to
the characteristic noise of the traction motors (obviously overlaid with the
throb of a diesel engine to generate the power).

I see that the fuel consumption is a lot less than for a Pacer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_230 says "Vivarail has
claimed that the fuel consumption is roughly 0.5 litre per car per mile;
this is about half the fuel consumption of a Pacer."

I wonder what the ride is like compared with a) a Pacer, with its lack of
swivelling bogies, b) a Sprinter 158 or a 185. Let's hope it doesn't have
the crap ride of the 455s that I used to endure on the Waterloo-Bracknell
line - they are arguably even worse than Pacers (discuss!).

Old April 25th 19, 07:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 22:55:16 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

Not available.

Old April 25th 19, 08:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

Not available.

.... any more. Interesting.

Old April 25th 19, 09:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

Not available.

... any more. Interesting.

Yes, I wonder why it's been removed? Might it have violated a copyright,
or disclosed something it shouldn't? Did Geoff break some safety rule? I
can't recall that he said anything that would have upset the TOC, NR or
Vivarail.

Old April 25th 19, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

Not available.

... any more. Interesting.

Yes, I wonder why it's been removed? Might it have violated a copyright,
or disclosed something it shouldn't? Did Geoff break some safety rule? I
can't recall that he said anything that would have upset the TOC, NR or
Vivarail.

Not the only video on you tube of them running yesterday though.

A search of “class 230”train brings up a couple more.

GH

Old April 25th 19, 10:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Marland wrote:
wrote:

Geoff Marshall's video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSn5_2TWcM

Not available.

... any more. Interesting.

Yes, I wonder why it's been removed? Might it have violated a copyright,
or disclosed something it shouldn't? Did Geoff break some safety rule? I
can't recall that he said anything that would have upset the TOC, NR or
Vivarail.

Not the only video on you tube of them running yesterday though.

A search of “class 230”train brings up a couple more.

There must be something specific is Geoff's video that caused it to be
pulled — what could it be?

Old April 26th 19, 07:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25/04/2019 22:23, Recliner wrote:

There must be something specific is Geoff's video that caused it to be
pulled — what could it be?

As I've not seen the video, it's not possible to be certain, but a
friend of mine had a video pulled very quickly due to a few seconds of
recognisable music in the background of the sound track.

Record companies are now scanning most, if not all, Youtube postings
using AI to check for their music being posted without permission, and
the new EU Copyright Act is about to make it worse by making it illegal
to even link to copyrighted material such as newspaper articles without
prior permission, never mind copying and pasting.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.