Old November 19th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default SWT Trains through East Putney today

Saw a SWT train going through East Putney today while I was waiting
for the district line up to Edgware Road. Came up the ramp from the
Waterloo-Richmond line and went off down towards Wimbledon. I know
they can do this sometimes but it's not something you see very often,
anyone know why this was? Was it related to yesterday's cable fire at
Clapham Junc.?

--

remove 'spamfree.' to respond

Old November 19th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Hi,

It happens when they engineering work somewhere, as I use to travel from
Teddington and end up on that loop sometimes. Not bad really to have shame
they don't utilise it a bit more

Fraser

Old November 19th 05, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

It happens when they engineering work somewhere, as I use to travel from Teddington and end up on that loop sometimes. Not bad really to have shame they don't utilise it a bit more

There's only a single track connection from the Putney line now though,
since the bridge fell down (or was in danger of it and got demolished).

Old November 20th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Fraser Robertson wrote
"Tom Robinson" wrote

Saw a SWT train going through East Putney today while I was waiting
for the district line up to Edgware Road. Came up the ramp from

the
Waterloo-Richmond line and went off down towards Wimbledon. I know
they can do this sometimes but it's not something you see very

often,
anyone know why this was? Was it related to yesterday's cable fire

at
Clapham Junc.?

It happens when they engineering work somewhere, as I use to travel

from
Teddington and end up on that loop sometimes. Not bad really to have

shame
they don't utilise it a bit more

Not just engineering work. When I commuted to/from Waterloo on trains
that went though Wimbledon this alternative route was taken maybe twice
a year. Whether the reason was congestion on the usual down line or
just for fun I don't know but it was quite amusing to see how many
passemgers were (a) awake enough to notice and (b) hadn't done it
before and so wondered if they were on the wrong train.

--
Mike D

Old November 20th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message

Fraser Robertson wrote
"Tom Robinson" wrote

[...]

When I was based at Dorking North in the early 80's the first one up on
sunday normally went via East Putney.

Old November 20th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (4sub)
wrote:

[...]

Because taking out the bridge over the Windsor Lines has created a
conflicting move at Point Pleasant Junction almost all the recent
movements I've seen at East Putney seem to have been in the down
direction.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 20th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

4sub wrote:

Not just engineering work. When I commuted to/from Waterloo on trains
that went though Wimbledon this alternative route was taken maybe twice
a year. Whether the reason was congestion on the usual down line or
just for fun I don't know but it was quite amusing to see how many
passemgers were (a) awake enough to notice and (b) hadn't done it
before and so wondered if they were on the wrong train.

--
Mike D

When I was based at Dorking North in the early 80's the first one up on
sunday normally went via East Putney.

I managed to travel this way for the first time last night - the 0042
Waterloo to Strawberry Hill has a booked path via East Putney but so far
has always gone main line when I've used it. I don't think we travelled
faster than 20mph all the way though - can National Rail trains travel
as fast as LUL trains down here?

Cheers

Steve M

Old November 21st 05, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tom Robinson wrote:
Saw a SWT train going through East Putney today while I was waiting
for the district line up to Edgware Road. Came up the ramp from the
Waterloo-Richmond line and went off down towards Wimbledon. I know
they can do this sometimes but it's not something you see very often,
anyone know why this was? Was it related to yesterday's cable fire at
Clapham Junc.?

I believe use of this curve is tentatively part of the Olympics
transport plan (can't find a reference other than
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/44 though), with trains from
the ELL running on the new ELL extension to Clapham Junction, and then
round to Southfields for the tennis. I've definitely seen a map which
had this route highlighted, but I can't find it now.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please