London Banter

-   -   London pollution monitoring (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17647-london-pollution-monitoring.html)

Recliner[_3_] May 10th 19 08:25 AM

London pollution monitoring

Air pollution: Snuff out scented candles and avoid Tube — how to clean your
air

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-pollution-snuff-out-scented-candles-and-avoid-tube-how-to-clean-your-air-gps5l9s8r?shareToken=43853b15aafb2b53bcc5cd879b454 691

Graeme Wall May 10th 19 09:37 AM

On 10/05/2019 09:25, Recliner wrote:
Air pollution: Snuff out scented candles and avoid Tube — how to clean your
air

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-pollution-snuff-out-scented-candles-and-avoid-tube-how-to-clean-your-air-gps5l9s8r?shareToken=43853b15aafb2b53bcc5cd879b454 691

Usual problem with these sort of tests, they are only measuring one type
of pollutant. Tends to lead to simplistic "cures" that only address part
of the problem. It was the same concentration on one pollutant and
ignoring the others that gave us the Diesel Disaster.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] May 10th 19 09:52 AM

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 10/05/2019 09:25, Recliner wrote:
Air pollution: Snuff out scented candles and avoid Tube — how to clean your
air

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-pollution-snuff-out-scented-candles-and-avoid-tube-how-to-clean-your-air-gps5l9s8r?shareToken=43853b15aafb2b53bcc5cd879b454 691

Usual problem with these sort of tests, they are only measuring one type
of pollutant. Tends to lead to simplistic "cures" that only address part
of the problem. It was the same concentration on one pollutant and
ignoring the others that gave us the Diesel Disaster.

True, though particulates seem to be one of the main causes of urban
ill-health. That's now a much bigger factor than global warming, at least
as far as local regulations are concerned.

Graeme Wall May 10th 19 12:33 PM

On 10/05/2019 10:52, Recliner wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 10/05/2019 09:25, Recliner wrote:
Air pollution: Snuff out scented candles and avoid Tube — how to clean your
air

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-pollution-snuff-out-scented-candles-and-avoid-tube-how-to-clean-your-air-gps5l9s8r?shareToken=43853b15aafb2b53bcc5cd879b454 691

Usual problem with these sort of tests, they are only measuring one type
of pollutant. Tends to lead to simplistic "cures" that only address part
of the problem. It was the same concentration on one pollutant and
ignoring the others that gave us the Diesel Disaster.

True, though particulates seem to be one of the main causes of urban
ill-health. That's now a much bigger factor than global warming, at least
as far as local regulations are concerned.

My point was that there are several types of particulate, acknowledged
in the article. The exercise only monitored one of them. By
concentrating on one of them we run the risk of a simplistic "fix" at
best leaving the others as they are or at worst exacerbating the
problems caused by the others. Which is what happened with the diesel
disaster. By only addressing the CO2 problem they made the health
problem far worse.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

JNugent[_5_] May 11th 19 08:57 AM

On 10/05/2019 10:37, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 10/05/2019 09:25, Recliner wrote:

Air pollution: Snuff out scented candles and avoid Tube — how to clean
your
air

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-pollution-snuff-out-scented-candles-and-avoid-tube-how-to-clean-your-air-gps5l9s8r?shareToken=43853b15aafb2b53bcc5cd879b454 691

Usual problem with these sort of tests, they are only measuring one type
of pollutant. Tends to lead to simplistic "cures" that only address part
of the problem.Â* It was the same concentration on one pollutant and
ignoring the others that gave us the Diesel Disaster.

To what are you referring when you use the phrase "diesel disaster"?

The obvious disaster is the losses incurred by those who followed
government advice and incentives by buying diesel cars rather than
petrol and are now being penalised for it?

It must be that.

Graeme Wall May 11th 19 09:26 AM

On 11/05/2019 09:57, JNugent wrote:
On 10/05/2019 10:37, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 10/05/2019 09:25, Recliner wrote:

Air pollution: Snuff out scented candles and avoid Tube — how to
clean your
air

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-pollution-snuff-out-scented-candles-and-avoid-tube-how-to-clean-your-air-gps5l9s8r?shareToken=43853b15aafb2b53bcc5cd879b454 691

Usual problem with these sort of tests, they are only measuring one
type of pollutant. Tends to lead to simplistic "cures" that only
address part of the problem.Â* It was the same concentration on one
pollutant and ignoring the others that gave us the Diesel Disaster.

To what are you referring when you use the phrase "diesel disaster"?

The obvious disaster is the losses incurred by those who followed
government advice and incentives by buying diesel cars rather than
petrol and are now being penalised for it?

It must be that.

That is a symptom, not the problem. The problem is by wanting a quick
political fix for CO2 emissions they ignored the fact that diesels are
responsible for much greater general pollution even if the manufacturers
hadn't been cheating on the tests.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

John Williamson May 11th 19 10:43 AM

On 11/05/2019 10:26, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/05/2019 09:57, JNugent wrote:

The obvious disaster is the losses incurred by those who followed
government advice and incentives by buying diesel cars rather than
petrol and are now being penalised for it?

It must be that.

That is a symptom, not the problem. The problem is by wanting a quick
political fix for CO2 emissions they ignored the fact that diesels are
responsible for much greater general pollution even if the manufacturers
hadn't been cheating on the tests.

At the time when the government were pushing for diesel cars, all the
green lobby were bemoaning how much more CO2 petrol cars emitted than
diesel, so all petrol cars must be replaced immediately by diesel ones.
When it was pointed out that petrol ones were cleaner in other ways than
diesel, they effectively just put their fingers in their ears "La, la,
la. I can't hear you. Got to reduce CO2 to save the planet"

Slightly related to this, I run a G-Wiz, and have worked out that using
the normal mix of generation in the UK, my CO2 emissions are equivalent
to a petrol car doing 40 MPG.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Arthur Conan Doyle May 11th 19 01:03 PM

JNugent wrote:

To what are you referring when you use the phrase "diesel disaster"?

The obvious disaster is the losses incurred by those who followed
government advice and incentives by buying diesel cars rather than
petrol and are now being penalised for it?

It must be that.

Exactly. Because government sponsored social engineering always works out so
well.

JNugent[_5_] May 11th 19 08:22 PM

[...]

That is a symptom, not the problem.Â* The problem is by wanting a quick
political fix for CO2 emissions they ignored the fact that diesels are
responsible for much greater general pollution even if the manufacturers
hadn't been cheating on the tests.

Taking you at your word, that may be a problem.

But where is the "disaster"?

[By that, I mean other than the financial disaster which has befallen
anyone stuck with a running term of car finance and now having to find
an extra £62.50 a week - or more - simply to be where they were before
Khan stabbed them in the back. Obviously.]

JNugent[_5_] May 11th 19 08:25 PM

On 11/05/2019 14:03, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

JNugent wrote:

To what are you referring when you use the phrase "diesel disaster"?

The obvious disaster is the losses incurred by those who followed
government advice and incentives by buying diesel cars rather than
petrol and are now being penalised for it?

It must be that.

Exactly. Because government sponsored social engineering always works out so
well.

Does that mean that the government* is always right, even when it holds
serial contrary views?

Or does it mean that the victims were silly for believing Brown and co?

[* "Government" here meaning the regime under Blair and Brown who
rejigged the car taxation system so as to incentivise the purchase of
diesel cars and latterly, Khan in London, who effectively has swingeing
taxation powers over people who are not allowed to vote for or
(especially) against him.]

Graeme Wall May 12th 19 09:24 AM

On 11/05/2019 21:22, JNugent wrote:
[...]

The health problems it is causing.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

[email protected] May 12th 19 09:36 AM

London pollution monitoring

On Sat, 11 May 2019 11:43:06 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
[...]

CO2 is the important pollutant, all the others are irrelevent. If all traffic
stopped now the particulates and NOx would be gone in a day. The CO2 will still
be around for thousands of years to come.

Slightly related to this, I run a G-Wiz, and have worked out that using

Why? Apart from having no crash protection they're small, slow and have a very
limited range. They're 1980s engineering.

the normal mix of generation in the UK, my CO2 emissions are equivalent
to a petrol car doing 40 MPG.

That seems a bit pessimistic to me, especialy given UK generation has run
without coal now for a week.

John Williamson May 12th 19 10:51 AM

On 12/05/2019 10:36, wrote:

Slightly related to this, I run a G-Wiz, and have worked out that using

Why? Apart from having no crash protection they're small, slow and have a very
limited range. They're 1980s engineering.

My daily commute is two miles, all inside the 30 mph limit. That quickly
wrecks an internal combustion engine, so an electric vehicle makes
sense. It gets charged twice a week. Also, the most important piece of
safety equipment on any car is the squishy bit between the seat and the
steering wheel. If I had spent double what it cost me to buy,I could
save about a third of the energy, if I had spent five times more, I
could have a safer vehicle. I drive 25 miles a week or less in my
private car, and 200 to 400 miles a day at work.

the normal mix of generation in the UK, my CO2 emissions are equivalent
to a petrol car doing 40 MPG.

That seems a bit pessimistic to me, especialy given UK generation has run
without coal now for a week.

At the time I checked it, it was accurate,using live figures. If I were
charging it today, it would be about 80 mpg.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

tim... May 12th 19 03:26 PM

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 12/05/2019 10:36, wrote:

Slightly related to this, I run a G-Wiz, and have worked out that using

Why? Apart from having no crash protection they're small, slow and have a
very
limited range. They're 1980s engineering.

My daily commute is two miles, all inside the 30 mph limit. That quickly
wrecks an internal combustion engine, so an electric vehicle makes sense.

walking or bicycle even more so

tim

John Williamson May 12th 19 04:47 PM

On 12/05/2019 16:26, tim... wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
My daily commute is two miles, all inside the 30 mph limit. That
quickly wrecks an internal combustion engine, so an electric vehicle
makes sense.

walking or bicycle even more so

It's nice that you know more about my personal circumstances than I do,
so you can make better decisions about my lifestyle than I can.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

blt_8_2z6@pkubpw6pa5y6e_xdlq.com May 12th 19 06:49 PM

London pollution monitoring

On Sun, 12 May 2019 11:51:05 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
On 12/05/2019 10:36, wrote:

Slightly related to this, I run a G-Wiz, and have worked out that using

Why? Apart from having no crash protection they're small, slow and have a

very
limited range. They're 1980s engineering.

My daily commute is two miles, all inside the 30 mph limit. That quickly
wrecks an internal combustion engine, so an electric vehicle makes
sense. It gets charged twice a week. Also, the most important piece of
safety equipment on any car is the squishy bit between the seat and the

That statement works if you're assuming crashes only happen when *you* make a
mistake and so try to avoid doing so. Often people are injured or killed
through no fault of their own when they're hit by another vehicle. In that
situation your chances in a G Wiz will be little better than being on a
motorbike.

Optimist[_3_] May 12th 19 08:26 PM

London pollution monitoring

On Sun, 12 May 2019 09:36:12 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

[snipped]

CO2 is the important pollutant, all the others are irrelevent. If all traffic
stopped now the particulates and NOx would be gone in a day. The CO2 will still
be around for thousands of years to come.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas, but far less potent in that respect than water vapour - but no-one suggests
trying to reduce emissions of water vapour! Neither gas is a pollutant, they are both essential for
photosynthesis without which all life would cease. Moreover, horticulturists deliberately increase
atmospheric CO2 concentrations in greenhouses and polytunnels to boost crop yields.

[email protected] May 13th 19 09:44 AM

London pollution monitoring

On Sun, 12 May 2019 21:26:55 +0100
Optimist wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2019 09:36:12 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

[snipped]

CO2 is the important pollutant, all the others are irrelevent. If all traffic
stopped now the particulates and NOx would be gone in a day. The CO2 will

still
be around for thousands of years to come.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas, but far less potent in that respect than water vapour
- but no-one suggests
trying to reduce emissions of water vapour! Neither gas is a pollutant, they

I can't believe people are still rehashing this tired old excuse for not
cutting CO2 emissions.

https://skepticalscience.com/water-v...nhouse-gas.htm
https://www.newscientist.com/article...dioxide-isnt-t
he-most-important-greenhouse-gas/

are both essential for
photosynthesis without which all life would cease. Moreover, horticulturists
deliberately increase
atmospheric CO2 concentrations in greenhouses and polytunnels to boost crop
yields.

*sigh*. You might as well state that because all plants require water why not
plant them underwater. Also there are different type of photosynthesis and
when the temperature goes up the most important one stops working properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C3_carbon_fixation

"The C3 plants, originating during Mesozoic and Paleozoic eras, predate the C4 p
lants and still represent approximately 95% of Earth's plant biomass, including
important food crops such as rice, wheat, soybeans and barley."

"C3 plants cannot grow in very hot areas "

And just for you:

http://www.passmyexams.co.uk/GCSE/bi...rate-of-photos
ynthesis.html

JNugent[_5_] May 13th 19 03:04 PM

On 12/05/2019 10:24, Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

There's a "...said to be..." missing there.

If the level of air pollution were as dangerous as claimed by some, none
of us would survive it. But the vast majority of us do manage to survive
it, somehow - even those of us born and bred in inner-city locations.

Extrapolating up from the odd case here and there is unimpressive.

Calling it a "disaster" is pure hyperbole (albeit hyperbole with an
underlying agenda).

But you don't need me to tell you that.

Graeme Wall May 13th 19 03:17 PM

On 13/05/2019 16:04, JNugent wrote:
On 12/05/2019 10:24, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/05/2019 21:22, JNugent wrote:
On 11/05/2019 10:26, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/05/2019 09:57, JNugent wrote:
On 10/05/2019 10:37, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 10/05/2019 09:25, Recliner wrote:

Air pollution: Snuff out scented candles and avoid Tube — how to
clean your air

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-pollution-snuff-out-scented-candles-and-avoid-tube-how-to-clean-your-air-gps5l9s8r?shareToken=43853b15aafb2b53bcc5cd879b454 691

Usual problem with these sort of tests, they are only measuring
one type of pollutant. Tends to lead to simplistic "cures" that
only address part of the problem.Â* It was the same concentration
[...]

I'm intrigued to know what you think my "underlying agenda" is.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

JNugent[_5_] May 13th 19 06:27 PM

On 13/05/2019 16:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

I didn't say you had one.

I'm intrigued as to why you assumed I did say it. You certainly aren't
the first one to label a normal and unexceptional means of transport a
disaster.

Graeme Wall May 13th 19 07:08 PM

On 13/05/2019 19:27, JNugent wrote:
[...]

So who is the line "Calling it a "disaster" is pure hyperbole (albeit
hyperbole with an underlying agenda)." aimed at"?

I'm intrigued as to why you assumed I did say it. You certainly aren't
the first one to label a normal and unexceptional means of transport a
disaster.

I think you have badly missed the point.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

JNugent[_5_] May 13th 19 08:17 PM

On 13/05/2019 20:08, Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

Those who are behind the movement to (a) restrict mobility and (b) tax
people more - and are using the diesel excuse to facilitate it - and
coined the phrase.

You aren't a decision maker at the Mayor's office or TaL, are you?

I'm intrigued as to why you assumed I did say it. You certainly aren't
the first one to label a normal and unexceptional means of transport a
disaster.

I think you have badly missed the point.

I don't think so.

Graeme Wall May 13th 19 08:27 PM

On 13/05/2019 21:17, JNugent wrote:
On 13/05/2019 20:08, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 13/05/2019 19:27, JNugent wrote:
On 13/05/2019 16:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 13/05/2019 16:04, JNugent wrote:
On 12/05/2019 10:24, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/05/2019 21:22, JNugent wrote:
On 11/05/2019 10:26, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 11/05/2019 09:57, JNugent wrote:
On 10/05/2019 10:37, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 10/05/2019 09:25, Recliner wrote:

Air pollution: Snuff out scented candles and avoid Tube — how
to clean your air

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-pollution-snuff-out-scented-candles-and-avoid-tube-how-to-clean-your-air-gps5l9s8r?shareToken=43853b15aafb2b53bcc5cd879b454 691

Usual problem with these sort of tests, they are only
measuring one type of pollutant. Tends to lead to simplistic
"cures" that only address part of the problem.Â* It was the
[...]

people more - and are using the diesel excuse to facilitate it -Â* and
coined the phrase.

You aren't a decision maker at the Mayor's office or TaL, are you?

Ah, a conspiracy theorist, nuff said.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Basil Jet[_4_] May 13th 19 10:17 PM

London pollution monitoring

On 13/05/2019 23:01, Recliner wrote:

TaL? What's that?

Transport Against London

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
400 Blows - 1984 - ...If I Kissed Her I'd Have To Kill Her First...

Robin9 May 14th 19 08:31 AM

I don't think one needs to be a conspiracy theorist to believe
that some anti-motor car fanatics have an agenda and that they
use health and environmental issues to justify their policies. The
Mayor, TfL and my local authority, the London Borough of Waltham
Forest are all prime examples.

I've had a "mini-Holland" installed in my neighbourhood, and not
far from me Whipps Cross roundabout has been converted into a
traffic-light-ridden mess. Both have increased car emissions but
in both cases LBWF claimed they were improving the environment.

JNugent[_5_] May 14th 19 01:45 PM

On 13/05/2019 21:27, Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

If you are claiming that there is no plan to restrict travel by car and
no plan to extract more money from those doing it, you are plainly wrong.

When something looks like a duck...

JNugent[_5_] May 14th 19 01:46 PM

JNugent wrote:
[...]

They like to pretend they're in favour of transport for London, but
behave as though restricting transport is their job. They must know
their own business best.

Graeme Wall May 14th 19 02:33 PM

On 14/05/2019 14:45, JNugent wrote:
[...]

As I said, you've totally missed my point, but carry on duck hunting in
a turkey farm if it pleases you.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Robin9 June 30th 19 10:23 AM

Should Sadiq Khan, TfL or the London Borough of Waltham Forest
each be fined £ 100.00?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...cid=spartandhp

There is no environmental difference between a car parked with
its engine running and a car needlessly stationary because
unnecessary traffic lights have been installed or because pavements
have been widened to prevent cars from overtaking a bus.

Roland Perry June 30th 19 01:26 PM

London pollution monitoring

In message , at 11:23:51 on Sun, 30
Jun 2019, Robin9 remarked:

Should Sadiq Khan, TfL or the London Borough of Waltham Forest
each be fined £ 100.00?

http://tinyurl.com/y2pe3yvd

There is no environmental difference between a car parked with
its engine running and a car needlessly stationery

that envelopes a whole range of other issues.

MissRiaElaine June 30th 19 02:55 PM

On 30/06/2019 11:23, Robin9 wrote:
Should Sadiq Khan, TfL or the London Borough of Waltham Forest
each be fined £ 100.00?

http://tinyurl.com/y2pe3yvd

There is no environmental difference between a car parked with
its engine running and a car needlessly stationery because
unnecessary traffic lights have been installed or because pavements
have been widened to prevent cars from overtaking a bus.

Most modern cars will shut off the engine if sitting at lights, etc.
Although this does rely on the driver selecting neutral and putting the
handbrake on, and how many people do that..? No, they just sit there in
front of you with their foot on the brake giving you full brake light
intensity, lovely at night, I don't think grrrr...

By the way, as a former bus driver, I am not keen on the way some people
overtake buses when they're at stops. I once had a car belt past me and
then do a sharp 90-degree left turn into the side road 6ft in front of
the bus, just as I had just started to pull away from a stop (and yes I
was indicating, and in plenty of time).

A young woman holding an 18-month old child lost her footing and the kid
banged his head on the luggage rack rails. I was there for over an hour
waiting for an ambulance and the police, fortunately the little boy
didn't sustain any serious injury.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

tim... June 30th 19 03:57 PM

"Robin9" wrote in message

Should Sadiq Khan, TfL or the London Borough of Waltham Forest
each be fined £ 100.00?

http://tinyurl.com/y2pe3yvd

There is no environmental difference between a car parked with
its engine running and a car needlessly stationery because
unnecessary traffic lights have been installed or because pavements
have been widened to prevent cars from overtaking a bus.

ITYF pavements are widened to make it easier for disabled to get on and of
the bus

tim

tim... June 30th 19 04:02 PM

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 30/06/2019 11:23, Robin9 wrote:
Should Sadiq Khan, TfL or the London Borough of Waltham Forest
each be fined £ 100.00?

http://tinyurl.com/y2pe3yvd

There is no environmental difference between a car parked with
its engine running and a car needlessly stationery because
unnecessary traffic lights have been installed or because pavements
have been widened to prevent cars from overtaking a bus.

Most modern cars will shut off the engine if sitting at lights, etc.

probably less than 50% of cars on the road have start stop technology

It will be about decade before it reaches 95%

Although this does rely on the driver selecting neutral and putting the
handbrake on,

does it?

didn't know that

don't have one

Even when I do select neutral I rarely put the hand brake on if the road is
flat. what's the point?

By the way, as a former bus driver, I am not keen on the way some people
overtake buses when they're at stops. I once had a car belt past me and
then do a sharp 90-degree left turn into the side road 6ft in front of the
bus, just as I had just started to pull away from a stop (and yes I was
indicating, and in plenty of time).

So just because of one idiot, we all have to dawdle down the road waiting
behind the bus at every stop, just because you don't want us to overtake?

tim

John Williamson June 30th 19 04:10 PM

On 30/06/2019 16:57, tim... wrote:

ITYF pavements are widened to make it easier for disabled to get on and
of the bus

In most cases, widening at stops is to allow the bus to pull away from
the stop without having to wait to be let out by another driver, as well
as making it easier for the bus to get close to the kerb.

The DDA bit is the high kerb, which makes it easier for disabled people
and buggy users to get on and off. Wheelchair users still need to use
the ramp, but buggies can be lifted over the small step, and it's easier
for people with limited mobility to get on and off, so they can avoid
having to ask for the ramp to be deployed. Almost all TfL stops have the
high kerb, and the projections are mostly on routes through residential
areas, where the residents park on the road, and tend to block easy
access to the stop by buses.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry June 30th 19 04:58 PM

London pollution monitoring

In message , at 17:02:50 on Sun, 30 Jun
2019, tim... remarked:

Even when I do select neutral I rarely put the hand brake on if the
road is flat. what's the point?

So you don't get pushed into whatever's in front, when someone rear-ends
you. In my case that was people crossing the road at a Pelican. It could
just as likely be another vehicle.

D A Stocks[_2_] June 30th 19 06:00 PM

London pollution monitoring

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message

Most modern cars will shut off the engine if sitting at lights, etc.
Although this does rely on the driver selecting neutral and putting the
handbrake on, and how many people do that..? No, they just sit there in
front of you with their foot on the brake giving you full brake light
intensity, lovely at night, I don't think grrrr...

Strangely, with the only start-stop implementation I've driven (Alfa Romeo)
the engine cut when the car was stopped with the footbrake. If you then
selected neutral and applied the handbrake the engine restarted when you
took your foot off the footbrake.

I decided to bypass start-stop altogether on my latest car by buying a full
hybrid, where the engine has stopped long before the car comes to a rest,
and the car can be moved for short distances in heavy traffic without
starting the engine at all. However, the parking brake on this car is
electric and is quite hard to apply manually - it is applied automatically
when you shift the transmission to Park. The car has a brake hold feature
which leaves the footbrake applied after coming to a stop. The brake
releases when you press the accelerator to move off. This works fairly well,
but it doeas keep the brake lights on while you're stopped.

--
DAS