Old November 26th 19, 01:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Jobsworth driver

wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 22:57:16 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:

With a lorry test , as long as you can keep it on the road, don't clip the
scenery and don't hit anyone you'll probably pass though with the Class 1
test you have to reverse with a trailer which isn't easy. God knows how the
aussie drivers reverse a double or triple.

I strongly suspect that they don’t reverse them because it’s got to be near

enough impossible, surely?

Impossible for me, you and 99.99% of people. But some people can do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3j6FvzfnRE

I guess that counts counter counter counter steering.

He only reversed it half its own length!

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old November 26th 19, 01:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 25/11/2019 22:57, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

How much 'practice' do you think you'll need to drive a ~600 tonne object
which takes over a mile to stop, at up to 125mph in 50 yard visibility fog,
without losing time, over 700 miles of route?

Surely the Aberdeen-Penzance train doesn't have a single driver for the
13 hour journey.

No, there will be several driver changes along the way, not least because
very few TOCs have lodging agreements for drivers.

But that's not what I meant. I sign 700 miles of route, obviously I don't
drive it all every day.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Old November 26th 19, 03:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODZ1MScvyZ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sRQSWh0I90

Old November 26th 19, 04:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 14:48:24 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 16:57:03 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:47:21 on Mon, 25 Nov
2019, remarked:

train drivers don't have to:
- steer
- maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...t-neville-hill

Well SPADs are another matter as is going through a red traffic light.

That wasn't a spad.

Well in that case I guess all those months of training and the driver still
can't judge braking distance. Either that or he's blind.

Old November 26th 19, 07:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 19:35:03 +0000, Charles Ellson
wrote:

On 24 Nov 2019 13:51:40 GMT, Marland
wrote:

Boltar may be a natural at vehicle handling which not all people are so the
physical driving was ticked off on the first day, the rest were spent
learning what the ringing sound was as the bus approached a stop.

Not in London then where you get ****s ringing the bell 0.1sec after
the bus has left the previous stop.

Better than ringing it too late IMO. Or ringing it when someone else
has already done it - why does the device not suppress that - or at
the terminus (if you know that it is). Shows a lack of awareness of
surroundings and fellow humans I think.

And points deducted from Alexander Dennis, who as well as making the
most rattling new buses in the world, provide them with the sound of
the *starting* signal when you press the bell.

Richard.

Old November 26th 19, 07:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Boltar may be a natural at vehicle handling which not all people are so the
physical driving was ticked off on the first day, the rest were spent
learning what the ringing sound was as the bus approached a stop.

Not in London then where you get ****s ringing the bell 0.1sec after
the bus has left the previous stop.

Better than ringing it too late IMO. Or ringing it when someone else
has already done it

If someone rings it immediately after departure from the previous stop, I
can see the logic in ringing it again on approach to the stop, in case the
driver has forgotten in the meantime.

- why does the device not suppress that

Until fairly recently they were very simple devices - either some
electrical contacts and a bell, or an air pressure operated device. Adding
something to make it only ring once would be unnecessary complication.

And points deducted from Alexander Dennis, who as well as making the
most rattling new buses in the world, provide them with the sound of
the *starting* signal when you press the bell.

Considering how rarely there is a requirement to give a starting signal by
bell code on a modern bus, I'd suggest that giving more than just one short
ding (which may be easily missed depending what else is going on) is a good
idea. The buses round my way give three dings of two different tones.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old November 26th 19, 07:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:47:21 on Mon, 25 Nov
2019,
remarked:

train drivers don't have to:
- steer
- maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...t-neville-hill

Well SPADs are another matter as is going through a red traffic light.

I suggest you read the report before commenting.

Old November 26th 19, 08:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Boltar may be a natural at vehicle handling which not all people are so the
physical driving was ticked off on the first day, the rest were spent
learning what the ringing sound was as the bus approached a stop.

Not in London then where you get ****s ringing the bell 0.1sec after
the bus has left the previous stop.

Better than ringing it too late IMO. Or ringing it when someone else
has already done it

If someone rings it immediately after departure from the previous stop, I
can see the logic in ringing it again on approach to the stop, in case the
driver has forgotten in the meantime.

Except most modern buses have a light on the dash that remains on till
the doors open again.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old November 26th 19, 09:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 Nov 2019 00:17:58 GMT, Marland
wrote:

wrote:

Boltar may be a natural at vehicle handling which not all people are so the
physical driving was ticked off on the first day, the rest were spent
learning what the ringing sound was as the bus approached a stop.

Not in London then where you get ****s ringing the bell 0.1sec after
the bus has left the previous stop.

Is there some approved timescale for omnibus campanology of which I'm
somehow unaware?

Although I haven’t used one for some years now Southampton passengers
seemed to be very reluctant to use the bell to the extent that visitors to
the City sometimes remarked about it.
The technique seemed to be that someone wishing to alight at the next stop
would get up from their seat
and just lurk a few feet behind the driver who took that as the signal they
wished to get off .
I rang the bell once and the effect wasn’t that much different to that
created by trying to start a conversation on the London Underground.

Any other places where the use of the Bell was similarly disdained.

I'm not sure if the buses in Lanarkshire even had bells, I never heard
one.
Old November 26th 19, 10:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Marland
writes
The military have different rules don’t they? ICBW but aren’t the age
limits lower to obtain a licence for large vehicles for personnel serving
in the forces.

Last time I checked the minimum age limits on driving types of vehicles
didn't apply to those in the forces driving military/naval/air force
vehicles.

--
Clive D.W. Feather