Old November 21st 19, 02:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Jobsworth driver

I was sitting in a Great Northern train at Finsbury Park this afternoon when
a Thameslink train pulled in and a couple of women ran out to catch our train.
Now a normal person in the cab would have waited for them to get on, but no,
not the one in our train - he shut the doors in their faces.

So either:
A) He wasn't monitoring the platforms when he shut the doors or
B) He's a complete jobsworth tit and waiting 5 seconds beyond the booked leaving
time was Not On.

Either way it was a pretty obnoxious thing to do. Luckily ****s like him seem
to be rarer these days.

Old November 21st 19, 05:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
There's a fundamental difference between waiting for passengers on a tube
line that is close to theoretical maximum headway and waiting for
passengers on the half-hourly train to Bayford.

I was once waiting on the platform for a train, along with a lot of other
people - probably a bit more than normal. The train was a couple of minutes
late. It stopped, opened its doors, let a few people on and then closed them
after about 10 seconds and set off. There was plenty of space inside the
train, so it looks as if the driver/guard thought "I'm late so I'm only
going to make a token gesture of stopping but not long enough for everyone
to get on". Passengers weren't running to catch the train: they were already
on the platform and queuing at each train door when the doors were
unceremoniously closed.

What is the normal advice when a train is running late and there are a lot
of passengers to get on but also a lot of space on the train? Is it normal
for doors to be closed after a token time, even though there are more
passengers still waiting to get on and space to accommodate them?

The next train (half an hour later) was very full, but the train waited for
long enough to get as many people on as possible, only closing the doors
when there was no more standing room. Some people were delayed by an hour:
they didn't get on the first train because it set off after only a few
seconds, and they didn't get on the second train because there wasn't enough
space.

Old November 21st 19, 06:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21/11/2019 14:36, wrote:

Luckily ****s like him seem
to be rarer these days.

Apparently you don't use Waterloo very often.

Old November 21st 19, 09:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21/11/2019 14:36, wrote:
I was sitting in a Great Northern train at Finsbury Park this afternoon when
a Thameslink train pulled in and a couple of women ran out to catch our train.
Now a normal person in the cab would have waited for them to get on, but no,
not the one in our train - he shut the doors in their faces.

So either:
A) He wasn't monitoring the platforms when he shut the doors or
B) He's a complete jobsworth tit and waiting 5 seconds beyond the booked leaving
time was Not On.

Either way it was a pretty obnoxious thing to do. Luckily ****s like him seem
to be rarer these days.

I believe that the drivers on the Thameslink route are specifically instructed by the management to do this.

A year or two back I made a formal complaint about a driver at Luton Airport Parkway deliberately closing the doors when lots of people were still boarding - and this was when there had been a platform alteration notified to passengers just a minute before the train arrival. I had fortunately been standing right by the steps to the overbridge and was capable of running up one flight and down the other, but anyone not being in the right place or not athletic enough (which was most of them) had no chance of changing platform. It must have been very obvious to the driver that he had been signalled into another platform at the last minute but he took no account of this and I expect he delighted in pulling away with only a fraction of the normal load. To my surprise and dismay the management backed him up - they said that avoiding even a few seconds of delay was more important than allowing passengers affected by a platform change to react to it.

--
Clive Page
Old November 21st 19, 09:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21/11/2019 21:14, Clive Page wrote:
To my surprise
and dismay the management backed him up - they said that avoiding even a
few seconds of delay was more important than allowing passengers
affected by a platform change to react to it.

The cynic in me would suggest that the penalty for running late is more
than the loss due to passengers complaining.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old November 21st 19, 09:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21/11/2019 14:36, wrote:
I was sitting in a Great Northern train at Finsbury Park this
afternoon when
a Thameslink train pulled in and a couple of women ran out to catch
our train.
Now a normal person in the cab would have waited for them to get on,
but no,
not the one in our train - he shut the doors in their faces.

So either:
A) He wasn't monitoring the platforms when he shut the doors or
B) He's a complete jobsworth tit and waiting 5 seconds beyond the
booked leaving
Â*Â*Â* time was Not On.

Either way it was a pretty obnoxious thing to do. Luckily ****s like
him seem
to be rarer these days.

I believe that the drivers on the Thameslink route are specifically
instructed by the management to do this.

A year or two back I made a formal complaint about a driver at Luton
Airport Parkway deliberately closing the doors when lots of people were
still boarding - and this was when there had been a platform alteration
notified to passengers just a minute before the train arrival.Â* I had
fortunately been standing right by the steps to the overbridge and was
capable of running up one flight and down the other, but anyone not
being in the right place or not athletic enough (which was most of them)
had no chance of changing platform.Â* It must have been very obvious to
the driver that he had been signalled into another platform at the last
minute but he took no account of this and I expect he delighted in
pulling away with only a fraction of the normal load.Â* To my surprise
and dismay the management backed him up - they said that avoiding even a
few seconds of delay was more important than allowing passengers
affected by a platform change to react to it.

That's interesting. Perhaps station stops where the passengers are not
able to board in such circumstances should be classified as a cancelled
stop?

This is also going to become more common as NR introduce more automatic
route setting.
Old November 22nd 19, 12:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 18:47:05 +0000
MikeS wrote:
On 21/11/2019 14:36, wrote:

Luckily ****s like him seem
to be rarer these days.

Apparently you don't use Waterloo very often.

Not for years. But given the SWR drivers are planning to go on strike for
a month soon I can't say it surprises me to find out they're a bunch of tits
as well.