Old November 27th 19, 06:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Jobsworth driver

On 27/11/2019 18:08, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 27/11/2019 17:26, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 26/11/2019 21:20, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 26/11/2019 20:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Richard wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 19:35:03 +0000, Charles Ellson
wrote:

On 24 Nov 2019 13:51:40 GMT, Marland
wrote:

Boltar may be a natural at vehicle handling which not all people
are so the
physical driving was ticked off on the first day, the rest were
spent
learning what the ringing sound was as the bus approached a stop.

Not in London then where you get ****s ringing the bell 0.1sec after
the bus has left the previous stop.

Better than ringing it too late IMO.Â* Or ringing it when someone else
has already done it

If someone rings it immediately after departure from the previous
stop, I
can see the logic in ringing it again on approach to the stop, in
case the
driver has forgotten in the meantime.

Except most modern buses have a light on the dash that remains on
till the doors open again.

And the bulb fails and the engineers never bother replacing it.

:-)

LEDs don't fail nearly so often fortunately

LED's..? Can't be having with those new fangled things...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old November 27th 19, 07:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Boltar may be a natural at vehicle handling which not all people are so the
physical driving was ticked off on the first day, the rest were spent
learning what the ringing sound was as the bus approached a stop.

Not in London then where you get ****s ringing the bell 0.1sec after
the bus has left the previous stop.

Better than ringing it too late IMO. Or ringing it when someone else
has already done it

If someone rings it immediately after departure from the previous stop, I
can see the logic in ringing it again on approach to the stop, in case the
driver has forgotten in the meantime.

All good points of course. Perhaps in the case of a premature ding
I'll allow it...

- why does the device not suppress that

Until fairly recently they were very simple devices - either some
electrical contacts and a bell, or an air pressure operated device. Adding
something to make it only ring once would be unnecessary complication.

Yes, but the 'technology' is already in use to turn on a light and
turn it off when the doors open -- on the dash, a basic display or in
the civilised world, something better. The only possible reason I can
think of to allow it to ring again would be a different noise for
upstairs/downstairs, or to allow passengers to indicate some sort of
distress, which is more usually done now by taking a video of it and
uploading it somewhere and even with 5G you might miss the next stop
by the time you've added the necessary animal ears.

And points deducted from Alexander Dennis, who as well as making the
most rattling new buses in the world, provide them with the sound of
the *starting* signal when you press the bell.

Considering how rarely there is a requirement to give a starting signal by
bell code on a modern bus, I'd suggest that giving more than just one short
ding (which may be easily missed depending what else is going on) is a good
idea. The buses round my way give three dings of two different tones.

I'm sure you're right that the answer is never. Still, perhaps it's
Pavlovian. I'm not old enough (and I can't say that much these days)
to have known conductors where I grew up, and so that noise to me is
such a London thing. It's just... *wrong*.

Richard.
Old November 27th 19, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/11/2019 17:24, MissRiaElaine wrote:

I have never understood why people are so reluctant to ring the bell. Do
they want to get off the bus, or not..? In my driving days I was plagued
by people who would lurk somewhere behind the cab and expect me to
"sense" they were there.

I vividly remember one guy, quite well dressed in a business suit and
carrying a briefcase, who, when I had missed the stop that he'd wanted
(not deliberately by any means, I assure you) got very vocal and started
questioning my parentage in very colourful language.

I said to him very politely, why didn't you ring the bell..? He replied
that he never did. I said that if he didn't, it was quite possible that
he might miss his stop.

He then stamped his foot like a petulant 5 year old and shouted at the
top of his voice, making the entire bus sit up and take notice,

"I *WON'T* ring the bell..!"

I just said "Ok, I won't stop the bus" to which he didn't say a word and
got off (at the next stop 100 yards down the road) very quietly.

I find this very hard to believe.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Saint Etienne - 1991 - Foxbase Alpha
Old November 27th 19, 08:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Are you suggesting something like “Pull the other one it’s got Bells on”.

GH

Old November 27th 19, 08:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

I like to read the tales of customer idiocy on https://notalwaysright.com
and as a result I find the tale about very easy to believe

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old November 27th 19, 10:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/11/2019 21:15, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Believe me (or not), it happened. You tend not to forget such things.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old November 28th 19, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 22/11/2019 21:58, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

Surely the desired result from he point of view of the workers is to
have a Labour government in power, and running the railways for the
workers. Why would they ever need to go on strike?

The odd thing is that UK governments are generally Tory-ledâ€*, so by
demanding government-owned railways, broadband, gas, electricity, etc,
the
unions are, in effect, trying to ensure they will be working directly for
Tory ministers.

â€* Quote:
The Labour Party is much better understood through its defeats than
through its victories, and not just because there are more of them. For a
party that was founded to be the parliamentary wing of organised labour
it
has been signally unsuccessful. Of the 119 years that have elapsed since
Labour issued its first manifesto, it has spent only 33 of them in office
and 13 of those were won by the unperson Blair. There have been 31
elections and Labour has won a working majority just five times.

…

That's a quote from what?

I am always puzzled by why Labour wants the government (which is usually
Tory) to run the trains. “Put Chris Grayling in charge,” said nobody,
ever.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/election-2019-labours-manifesto-is-mere-wishful-thinking-mflqs79sc?shareToken=0abbdeb43c9af906fbd956f843a80 c15

[In the 74 years since 1945, Labour has spent 24 years in power, 10 of
which were under the now-hated Blair. So, only 14 out of 74 years, 19%,
were under leaders the unions approve of. That proportion looks likely to
shrink.]

Yes the left have never forgiven Blair for making Labour electable.

and they're cheering Corbyn for making them un-electable?

tim

Old November 28th 19, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Recliner" wrote in message
Charles Ellson wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately for many people he also made them unelectable and they
decided to vote for real Tories. Labour are currently shackled by
Corbyn, at least until the time he stops collecting an arse full of
splinters from the fences that he sits on or they find someone else.

I assume he and McDonnell will have to go soon after the election.

god help us if we get the "nodding dog" Long-Bailey instead

tim

Old November 28th 19, 06:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/11/2019 23:30, MissRiaElaine wrote:
[...]

As a bus passenger, I notice numerous occasions when people at bus stops
(serving multiple routes) stick their arms out - after the front of the
bus has passed the stop -- and then look puzzled / annoyed when the bus
fails to stop. They must think that bus drivers are mindreaders...

Old November 28th 19, 06:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28/11/2019 19:16, Bevan Price wrote:

As a bus passenger, I notice numerous occasions when people at bus stops
(serving multiple routes) stick their arms out - after the front of the
bus has passed the stop -- and then look puzzled / annoyed when the bus
fails to stop. They must think that bus drivers are mindreaders...

These passengers were probably queueing behind someone else and didn't
realise that the other person didn't want this bus until it was too
late. The requirement that bus passengers should queue and the
requirement that they should hail the buses conflict, unless every bus
calling at the stop is going to the same places.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Teleman - 2014 - Breakfast