Old November 29th 19, 12:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Jobsworth driver

On 28/11/2019 19:57, Basil Jet wrote:
On 28/11/2019 19:16, Bevan Price wrote:

As a bus passenger, I notice numerous occasions when people at bus
stops (serving multiple routes) stick their arms out - after the front
of the bus has passed the stop -- and then look puzzled / annoyed when
the bus fails to stop. They must think that bus drivers are
mindreaders...

These passengers were probably queueing behind someone else and didn't
realise that the other person didn't want this bus until it was too
late. The requirement that bus passengers should queue and the
requirement that they should hail the buses conflict, unless every bus
calling at the stop is going to the same places.

Nobody queues around here. They just stand around all over the place,
blocking the pavement, smoking or fiddling with their phones, then when
a bus arrives they all try and get on at the same time with no regard to
who was there first and never mind people getting off (we don't have
separate exit doors here, unlike London. Very few places do, never
understood why).

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old November 29th 19, 12:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 22/11/2019 21:58, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

Surely the desired result from he point of view of the workers is to
have a Labour government in power, and running the railways for the
workers. Why would they ever need to go on strike?

The odd thing is that UK governments are generally Tory-ledâ€*, so by
demanding government-owned railways, broadband, gas, electricity, etc,
the
unions are, in effect, trying to ensure they will be working directly for
Tory ministers.

â€* Quote:
The Labour Party is much better understood through its defeats than
through its victories, and not just because there are more of them. For a
party that was founded to be the parliamentary wing of organised labour
it
has been signally unsuccessful. Of the 119 years that have elapsed since
Labour issued its first manifesto, it has spent only 33 of them in office
and 13 of those were won by the unperson Blair. There have been 31
elections and Labour has won a working majority just five times.

…

That's a quote from what?

I am always puzzled by why Labour wants the government (which is usually
Tory) to run the trains. “Put Chris Grayling in charge,” said nobody,
ever.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/election-2019-labours-manifesto-is-mere-wishful-thinking-mflqs79sc?shareToken=0abbdeb43c9af906fbd956f843a80 c15

[In the 74 years since 1945, Labour has spent 24 years in power, 10 of
which were under the now-hated Blair. So, only 14 out of 74 years, 19%,
were under leaders the unions approve of. That proportion looks likely to
shrink.]

Yes the left have never forgiven Blair for making Labour electable.

and they're cheering Corbyn for making them un-electable?

Yes, the hard left prefers the purity that's only possible in Opposition.
Governing requires compromise, which they find intolerable.

Old November 29th 19, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Charles Ellson wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately for many people he also made them unelectable and they
decided to vote for real Tories. Labour are currently shackled by
Corbyn, at least until the time he stops collecting an arse full of
splinters from the fences that he sits on or they find someone else.

I assume he and McDonnell will have to go soon after the election.

god help us if we get the "nodding dog" Long-Bailey instead

She is, indeed, their preferred front woman, with McDonnell pulling her
strings from behind the scenes. But apparently she auditions badly, being
beaten by Angela Rayner, who I find even more annoying.

Old November 29th 19, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

MissRiaElaine wrote:
[...]

Exit doors cost money, take up the space of two or four seats, and run the
risk of people sneaking on without paying.

Old November 29th 19, 06:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

I know

Apart from the fact that she's a woman and is prepared to parrot whatever
line they want spinning this week, her qualifications for the job appear to
be zero

with McDonnell pulling her
strings from behind the scenes.

That I didn't know. I just assumed it was her subscribing to group-think in
order to progress up the slippery pole

But apparently she auditions badly,

IMHO she performs badly on TV in any debate, so that's no surprise

being
beaten by Angela Rayner, who I find even more annoying.

There don't seem to be any quality female candidates on the hard left

Perhaps there's something missing from the female psyche (not that that's a
bad thing generally)

Old November 29th 19, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 29/11/2019 00:21, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

Nobody queues around here. They just stand around all over the place,
blocking the pavement, smoking or fiddling with their phones, then when
a bus arrives they all try and get on at the same time with no regard to
who was there first and never mind people getting off (we don't have
separate exit doors here, unlike London. Very few places do, never
understood why).

Exit doors cost money, take up the space of two or four seats, and run the
risk of people sneaking on without paying.

Doesn't seem to happen a lot in London, though. Centre doors seem to
have been much more of a success there than anywhere else, at least in
the UK.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old November 29th 19, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

Or, in Corbyn's case, making a decision.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old November 29th 19, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

MissRiaElaine wrote:

Nobody queues around here. They just stand around all over the place,
blocking the pavement, smoking or fiddling with their phones, then when
a bus arrives they all try and get on at the same time with no regard to
who was there first and never mind people getting off (we don't have
separate exit doors here, unlike London. Very few places do, never
understood why).

Exit doors cost money, take up the space of two or four seats, and run
the
risk of people sneaking on without paying.

Doesn't seem to happen a lot in London, though. Centre doors seem to
have been much more of a success there than anywhere else, at least in
the UK.

Edinburgh is bringing back the system of entry door at the front and
exit door in the middle, which used to be the norm there before
single-door buses were introduced in the 1990s. It may help that
almost all routes have a flat fare regardless of distance.

Old November 30th 19, 01:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 00:00:27 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

[...]

I now never queue. I stand before the bus stop and as the bus
approaches I'll put my hand out if no-one else has. Often those that
don't are just too busy with their heads in their smartphones.
Recently one girl had looked up, seen the display for the bus change
from 1min to Due, and continued with her smartphone oblivious to the
fact the bus was now approaching.

However I do tend to get on last and I don't travel at rush hout.

On double-deckers I still like to sit at the front and observer the
"driver's" view. It is amazing how many folk assume the bus will
stop:

a) at bus stops without putting a hand out (maybe they don't know)

b) at pedestrian crossings even though they've not given any
indication that they are about to cross - not even a glance to see if
there might be a few tons of metal heading their direction. And then
they amble across without consideration that they are holding a whole
load of passengers up.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?