London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Feb 2018
Posts: 158
Default no circle line today

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 05/01/2020 22:34, tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you want
to go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative
journey take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the
planner before I travelled

tim


I'll never understand how they can still call it the Circle line when it
doesn't go in a circle any more. What was wrong with the Hammersmith &
City..? Or even the Metropolitan come to that.

Why do people have to mess with things that aren't broken..?



We know from your posts that you have a hankering for things that you
perceive as being better in the past but if you went back far enough would
you be moaning the the other routes that were called circles that existed
around london before the deep tube lines really got established were not
complete circles or is it a case of the era you remember because you were
there must be the golden age that transcends all others.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ian_London.png

GH

  #12   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 83
Default no circle line today

On 06/01/2020 18:40, Marland wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 05/01/2020 22:34, tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you want
to go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative
journey take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the
planner before I travelled

tim


I'll never understand how they can still call it the Circle line when it
doesn't go in a circle any more. What was wrong with the Hammersmith &
City..? Or even the Metropolitan come to that.

Why do people have to mess with things that aren't broken..?



We know from your posts that you have a hankering for things that you
perceive as being better in the past but if you went back far enough would
you be moaning the the other routes that were called circles that existed
around london before the deep tube lines really got established were not
complete circles or is it a case of the era you remember because you were
there must be the golden age that transcends all others.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ian_London.png

GH


Not complete circles then? I guess that things are so much better now.

I regularly escort a disabled wife from Baker Street to South
Kensington, she is so grateful that nowadays she has to get out, get on
and sometimes use the steep footbridge at Edgware Road.

Circle Line. Huh!

PA

  #13   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Mar 2018
Posts: 45
Default no circle line today

In article ,
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I'll never understand how they can still call it the Circle line when it
doesn't go in a circle any more.


But it never went in a circle. It was shaped more like a gourd with a spout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle...Line_(old).svg

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.
https://jl.ly
  #14   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,619
Default no circle line today

On 06/01/2020 18:57, Peter Able wrote:
On 06/01/2020 18:40, Marland wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 05/01/2020 22:34, tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you
want
to go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative
journey take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the
planner before I travelled

tim

I'll never understand how they can still call it the Circle line when it
doesn't go in a circle any more. What was wrong with the Hammersmith &
City..? Or even the Metropolitan come to that.

Why do people have to mess with things that aren't broken..?



We know from your posts that you have a hankering for things that you
perceive as being better in the past but if you went back far enough
would
you be moaning the the other routes that were called circles that existed
around london before the deep¬* tube lines really got established were not
complete circles or is it a case of the era you remember because you were
there must be the golden age that transcends all others.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ian_London.png


GH


Not complete circles then?¬* I guess that things are so much better now.

I regularly escort a disabled wife from Baker Street to South
Kensington, she is so grateful that nowadays she has to get out, get on
and sometimes use the steep footbridge at Edgware Road.

Circle Line.¬* Huh!


Go the other way round?


--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

  #15   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 203
Default no circle line today

On 06/01/2020 19:49, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 06/01/2020 18:57, Peter Able wrote:


Not complete circles then?¬* I guess that things are so much better now.

I regularly escort a disabled wife from Baker Street to South
Kensington, she is so grateful that nowadays she has to get out, get
on and sometimes use the steep footbridge at Edgware Road.

Circle Line.¬* Huh!


Go the other way round?


It doesn't go the other way round, that's the point. You'd end up in
Hammersmith.


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]


  #16   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Mar 2018
Posts: 45
Default no circle line today

In article ,
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I regularly escort a disabled wife from Baker Street to South
Kensington, she is so grateful that nowadays she has to get out, get
on and sometimes use the steep footbridge at Edgware Road.


Go the other way round?


It doesn't go the other way round, that's the point. You'd end up in
Hammersmith.


Hmmn. If you were to get on an eastbound Circle line train at Baker
Street, where do you think it would go?


--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.
https://jl.ly
  #17   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,619
Default no circle line today

On 06/01/2020 20:35, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 06/01/2020 19:49, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 06/01/2020 18:57, Peter Able wrote:


Not complete circles then?¬* I guess that things are so much better now.

I regularly escort a disabled wife from Baker Street to South
Kensington, she is so grateful that nowadays she has to get out, get
on and sometimes use the steep footbridge at Edgware Road.

Circle Line.¬* Huh!


Go the other way round?


It doesn't go the other way round, that's the point. You'd end up in
Hammersmith.



From Baker street you can still get to South Ken without changing
because it does go the other way round.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

  #18   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 640
Default no circle line today

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 05/01/2020 22:34, tim... wrote:
(nor the central Met/District)

Who'd have thought that this would make it so hard to get where you want
to go in Z1

You have to find the alternative bus route/stop and the alternative
journey take "forever"

Of course it's my fault really for not putting my journey into the
planner before I travelled

tim


I'll never understand how they can still call it the Circle line when it
doesn't go in a circle any more. What was wrong with the Hammersmith &
City..?


That still runs, but there's been a much-needed increase in the frequency
of the trains between Hammersmith and Paddington. The reshaping of the
Circle line was needed for that.

Or even the Metropolitan come to that.


What about it?


Why do people have to mess with things that aren't broken..?


It was. Why do you always assume that today's London has the same transport
demands as it did in the 1960s?

  #19   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 203
Default no circle line today

On 06/01/2020 21:44, Graeme Wall wrote:

From Baker street you can still get to South Ken without changing
because it does go the other way round.


Yes, but it's the long way round. It's a lot quicker to go
anti-clockwise between those two places than the other way. Or at least
it was.


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #20   Report Post  
Old January 6th 20, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 640
Default no circle line today

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 06/01/2020 21:44, Graeme Wall wrote:

From Baker street you can still get to South Ken without changing
because it does go the other way round.


Yes, but it's the long way round. It's a lot quicker to go
anti-clockwise between those two places than the other way. Or at least
it was.


The quickest way, and probably the one with the least non-avoidable stairs,
would be via Green Park.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Circle Line should be up and running within a fortnight" [email protected] London Transport 4 July 21st 05 04:08 AM
Circle Line up the spout again Neillw001 London Transport 14 June 30th 05 03:45 PM
Circle Line "closing" from 2009? ONscotland London Transport 59 June 8th 05 04:43 AM
Circle Line train amber lights [email protected] London Transport 4 April 1st 05 02:14 PM
Circle Line reliability Dave Arquati London Transport 6 November 25th 03 01:02 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017