London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 15th 20, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 33
Default Question re RT FAMILY withdrawl

When they withdrew the RT/RTW/RTL family how did LT decide which ones
to withdraw when? Did they follow a similar pattern to, say,
trolleybuses doing a whole garage at a time (I don't believe so)? Did
they withdraw the RTWs first because they were (despite being 500
strong) non-standard? Was it based on an approaching overhaul date
(but that might have made them harder to sell on and lost were sold)?

Anyone know?

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 15th 20, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 203
Default Question re RT FAMILY withdrawl

On 15/03/2020 10:13, Graham Harrison wrote:
When they withdrew the RT/RTW/RTL family how did LT decide which ones
to withdraw when? Did they follow a similar pattern to, say,
trolleybuses doing a whole garage at a time (I don't believe so)? Did
they withdraw the RTWs first because they were (despite being 500
strong) non-standard? Was it based on an approaching overhaul date
(but that might have made them harder to sell on and lost were sold)?

Anyone know?


Not offhand, but I have a book on the history of the RT family
somewhere, I'll see if it says anything.


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #3   Report Post  
Old March 15th 20, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 33
Default Question re RT FAMILY withdrawl

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 16:12:37 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 15/03/2020 10:13, Graham Harrison wrote:
When they withdrew the RT/RTW/RTL family how did LT decide which ones
to withdraw when? Did they follow a similar pattern to, say,
trolleybuses doing a whole garage at a time (I don't believe so)? Did
they withdraw the RTWs first because they were (despite being 500
strong) non-standard? Was it based on an approaching overhaul date
(but that might have made them harder to sell on and lost were sold)?

Anyone know?


Not offhand, but I have a book on the history of the RT family
somewhere, I'll see if it says anything.


Thank you
  #4   Report Post  
Old March 16th 20, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 79
Default Question re RT FAMILY withdrawl

On 15/03/2020 10:13, Graham Harrison wrote:
When they withdrew the RT/RTW/RTL family how did LT decide which ones
to withdraw when? Did they follow a similar pattern to, say,
trolleybuses doing a whole garage at a time (I don't believe so)? Did
they withdraw the RTWs first because they were (despite being 500
strong) non-standard? Was it based on an approaching overhaul date
(but that might have made them harder to sell on and lost were sold)?

Anyone know?


My own experience of 50 years ago was that Regents were steadily
relegated to lighter routes and when those routes went OMO, a
route's-worth of Regents left the garage.

PA
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 16th 20, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 33
Default Question re RT FAMILY withdrawl

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 16:14:54 +0000, Peter Able wrote:

On 15/03/2020 10:13, Graham Harrison wrote:
When they withdrew the RT/RTW/RTL family how did LT decide which ones
to withdraw when? Did they follow a similar pattern to, say,
trolleybuses doing a whole garage at a time (I don't believe so)? Did
they withdraw the RTWs first because they were (despite being 500
strong) non-standard? Was it based on an approaching overhaul date
(but that might have made them harder to sell on and lost were sold)?

Anyone know?


My own experience of 50 years ago was that Regents were steadily
relegated to lighter routes and when those routes went OMO, a
route's-worth of Regents left the garage.

PA


To me "Regents" means the RT, not the RTL or RTW but I can see the
logic in what you say. But it doesn't really answer the question of
how the remaining buses that were allocated to lighter routes were
chosen.


  #6   Report Post  
Old March 16th 20, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 79
Default Question re RT FAMILY withdrawl

On 16/03/2020 17:44, Graham Harrison wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 16:14:54 +0000, Peter Able wrote:

On 15/03/2020 10:13, Graham Harrison wrote:
When they withdrew the RT/RTW/RTL family how did LT decide which ones
to withdraw when? Did they follow a similar pattern to, say,
trolleybuses doing a whole garage at a time (I don't believe so)? Did
they withdraw the RTWs first because they were (despite being 500
strong) non-standard? Was it based on an approaching overhaul date
(but that might have made them harder to sell on and lost were sold)?

Anyone know?


My own experience of 50 years ago was that Regents were steadily
relegated to lighter routes and when those routes went OMO, a
route's-worth of Regents left the garage.

PA


To me "Regents" means the RT, not the RTL or RTW but I can see the
logic in what you say. But it doesn't really answer the question of
how the remaining buses that were allocated to lighter routes were
chosen.


Indeed, and I was using the term Regent in that sense.

You'll need someone from the maintenance side to complete your answer -
though I would say that the step-changes I referred to suggest to me
that many vehicle were let go well before they were operationally done for.

An the nemesis for the OMOs that kicked out the RTs was Radlett Airfield!

PA



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Withdrawl of Bus Route 705 (Paddington - Liverpool Street via Waterloo) [email protected] London Transport 7 May 24th 05 06:33 PM
Withdrawl of Bus Route 705 (Paddington - Liverpool Street via Waterloo) Paul Corfield London Transport 0 May 23rd 05 03:51 PM
Better to buy Family Travelcard (even if no kids with you) tHatDudeUK London Transport 1 January 16th 05 12:06 PM
Better to buy Family Travelcard (even if no kids with you) John Ray London Transport 2 January 16th 05 11:31 AM
Family Affairs Intro cookie London Transport 11 September 14th 03 12:38 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017