Old June 17th 20, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PT today

On 17/06/2020 13:11, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 07:29, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public
at large are remotely functional.

You're wrong

some designs do have filtered vents which (attempt) to safely solve the
condensation problem

Whether they actually work, or not

I have no idea

They are medical masks and should be reserved for medical professionals.

The silly cloth things that people wear walking around Tesco are useless.

On what basis did you reach that conclusion? As long as they're at least
two layers thick, they'll do the job they're intended to do.

Lull people into a false sense of security, yes. They're excellent at
that. I for one am not so easily fooled.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 17th 20, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:50:29 on Wed, 17
Jun 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public at
large are remotely functional.

In what sense?

In the sense that people have them on for.

Unless you are a medical professional or you have the training to use
the correct mask in the correct way (including disposal) then it isn't
going to be any use.

Once you touch them, then they are contaminated, and so are your hands
and anything you touch.

You are addressing the wrong function. Masks for travellers aren't PPE,
they are to stop coughs and sneezes *BY THE WEARER*, spreading the
disease. Also by the wearer not so easily touching their mouth/nose and
then wiping their snot on the surroundings.

This is, incidentally, why a DIY dust mask with a valve in it is "the
wrong way round". But they are still better than nothing.
Old June 17th 20, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 13:19:13 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 17/06/2020 13:11, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 12:50, tim... wrote:

but they are meant to stop you contaminating someone else

not the other way round

So how are they going to do that, when you are infected and touch your
mask then touch something else..?

An infected person's hands would be contaminated anyway, so they certainly
don't make things worse. But they do greatly reduce the distance that
droplets are projected, which is all they're meant to do.

Possibly. But they still lull people into a false sense of security.

How do you know? And do you mean the wearers, or others in their
vicinity?

I cannot deal with people face to face unless I can *see* their face.
And how is a deaf person supposed to lip-read..?

How often do you need to speak to a deaf person?
Old June 17th 20, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public
at large are remotely functional.

You're wrong

some designs do have filtered vents which (attempt) to safely solve the
condensation problem

Whether they actually work, or not

I have no idea

They are medical masks and should be reserved for medical professionals.

The silly cloth things that people wear walking around Tesco are useless.

On what basis did you reach that conclusion? As long as they're at least
two layers thick, they'll do the job they're intended to do.

Lull people into a false sense of security, yes. They're excellent at
that. I for one am not so easily fooled.

False sense of security against what?
Old June 17th 20, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:19:13 on Wed, 17
Jun 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:

I cannot deal with people face to face unless I can *see* their face.
And how is a deaf person supposed to lip-read..?

On public transport at the moment, not at all. Who would they be
lip-reading, anyway?

Old June 17th 20, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:03:03 on Wed, 17
On 16/06/2020 16:56, tim... wrote:

good god

I was expecting something functionally superior

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public
at large are remotely functional.

You're wrong
some designs do have filtered vents which (attempt) to safely solve
the condensation problem
Whether they actually work, or not
I have no idea

They are medical masks and should be reserved for medical professionals.

No they aren't. The majority are DIY dusk-masks, and the vent is to let
the moist air out.
Old June 17th 20, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:20:21 on Wed, 17
Jun 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:

The silly cloth things that people wear walking around Tesco are useless.

On what basis did you reach that conclusion? As long as they're at
least two layers thick, they'll do the job they're intended to do.

Lull people into a false sense of security, yes. They're excellent at
that. I for one am not so easily fooled.

Perhaps the message that they aren't intended to protect the wearer,
hasn't got through?

This is a wonderful commentary on the ability of the general public to
"act like grown-ups" and make sensible decisions based on the perceived
risks, when they fall at the first fence like this.
Old June 17th 20, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/06/2020 12:50, tim... wrote:

but they are meant to stop you contaminating someone else

not the other way round

So how are they going to do that, when you are infected and touch your
mask then touch something else..?

An infected person's hands would be contaminated anyway, so they certainly
don't make things worse. But they do greatly reduce the distance that
droplets are projected, which is all they're meant to do.

Possibly. But they still lull people into a false sense of security.

How do you know? And do you mean the wearers, or others in their
vicinity?

Because that's what placebos do. They make people think they're cured,
or protected or whatever.

I cannot deal with people face to face unless I can *see* their face.
And how is a deaf person supposed to lip-read..?

How often do you need to speak to a deaf person?

Irrelevant. And *how dare you* insult a large proportion of the
population..? For all you know, one or more of my family could be deaf,
or my friends. Yes, I do have some, what about you..?

And you haven't answered my question about those of us who cannot relate
to people when we cannot see their faces. It frightens me and I am not
alone. There are many people out there with similar mental health
conditions. Mine is autism, what's yours..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 17th 20, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/06/2020 14:31, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:19:13 on Wed, 17
Jun 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:

I cannot deal with people face toÂ* face unless I can *see* their face.
And how is a deaf person supposed to lip-read..?

On public transport at the moment, not at all. Who would they be
lip-reading, anyway?

The person they're speaking to..? Don't you talk to people..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old June 17th 20, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/06/2020 13:24, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:50:29 on Wed, 17
Jun 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:

Functional..? NONE of the ridiculous things being worn by the public at
large are remotely functional.

Â*In what sense?

In the sense that people have them on for.

Unless you are a medical professional or you have the training to use
the correct mask in the correct way (including disposal) then it isn't
going to be any use.

Once you touch them, then they are contaminated, and so are your hands
and anything you touch.

You are addressing the wrong function. Masks for travellers aren't PPE,
they are to stop coughs and sneezes *BY THE WEARER*, spreading the
disease. Also by the wearer not so easily touching their mouth/nose and
then wiping their snot on the surroundings.

This is, incidentally, why a DIY dust mask with a valve in it is "the
wrong way round". But they are still better than nothing.

Oh believe what you like, I give up.

--
Ria in Aberdeen