Old July 18th 20, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No black LEDs?

I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.

Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.

https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2

Old July 19th 20, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/07/2020 02:09, Recliner wrote:
I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.

Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.

https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2

£120 for the smaller, monochrome one.

It'd put an extra load on the PSU, but how about pale white LEDs with
LED OFF representing Northern line trains?

PA

Old July 19th 20, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Able wrote:

It'd put an extra load on the PSU, but how about pale white LEDs with
LED OFF representing Northern line trains?

It would be very cool if the larger one were built to scale with the Douglas
Rose historical LU map. Even better - add a few extra LEDs that light at random
on some of the disused lines.
Old July 19th 20, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Peter Able wrote:

It'd put an extra load on the PSU, but how about pale white LEDs with
LED OFF representing Northern line trains?

It would be very cool if the larger one were built to scale with the Douglas
Rose historical LU map. Even better - add a few extra LEDs that light at random
on some of the disused lines.

Ah, the ghostly option! But I do like the idea of a new, larger version,
built to scale.

Old July 20th 20, 05:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Recliner
writes
Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Peter Able wrote:

It'd put an extra load on the PSU, but how about pale white LEDs with
LED OFF representing Northern line trains?

It would be very cool if the larger one were built to scale with the Douglas
Rose historical LU map. Even better - add a few extra LEDs that light
at random
on some of the disused lines.

Ah, the ghostly option! But I do like the idea of a new, larger version,
built to scale.

Many many years ago when I was in Paris (I don't know if they are still
there, I haven't been there for over 30 years) and before the days of
LEDs I recall that at some Metro stations if you wanted to know the best
way to get to another station there was a large display. Pressing a
button labelled with the destination station illuminated a chain of
lights stretching from the current station to the destination revealing
also the interchange stations where relevant
--
Bryan Morris

Old July 20th 20, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 01:09:02 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.

Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.

https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2

Looks to me like it only shows trains in stations, not all trains on the line.

I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.

Old July 20th 20, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.

Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.

https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2

Looks to me like it only shows trains in stations, not all trains on the line.

I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.

The TfL API is public, and other apps use it. But I get the impression here
that the API is accessed from a program running on the company's server,
with the boards communicating with that. This has the advantage of being
able to handle changes to the API, but obviously depends on the company
continuing to run its server, and updating its software as required.
Old July 20th 20, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 10:01:11 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 01:09:02 -0000 (UTC)
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.

The TfL API is public, and other apps use it. But I get the impression here
that the API is accessed from a program running on the company's server,
with the boards communicating with that. This has the advantage of being
able to handle changes to the API, but obviously depends on the company
continuing to run its server, and updating its software as required.

Indeed. I've had that issue myself when I discovered the hard way that
the network streamer I own has to phone home first before it'll do anything
and last month the manufacturers server went down for a day and I had a
very expensive brick with an error message on its screen. I wonder how
long it'll be before I have to pay a subscription to keep it running.

Old July 20th 20, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 08:27:43 -0500
Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.

Looks like TfL make the data available under certain conditions.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/open-dat...on-this-page-2

Looks interesting. Might have a play around when I get some free time.

There also appears to be third party access

https://www.programmableweb.com/api/london-tube

The trouble with 3rd party stuff is eventually the dev gets bored and moves
on to something else so unless someone else picks it up thats it.