Old October 17th 20, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Congestion charge to N/S Circular??????

In message , at 21:11:51 on Fri, 16 Oct
2020, tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:06:48 on Fri, 16 Oct
2020, tim... remarked:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...haun-bailey-ra
lly-against-extension-of-congestion-charge-zone-a4571826.html

Other media available

As a disinterested party, I can't believe that anyone is seriously
suggesting this

The N/S Circular area isn't like the central area where everyone
inside it is moderately well off, or lives in a bubble where they can
walk/bus to whatever service that they need.

People who live in the "Circular" area, are people in normal
employment with lives that mean that they have to have a car.

and an annual tax of 5,475 pounds to own one, is bloody ridiculous

That's only if you use it every day.

If the local councillors suggested this they would be out on their
ears at the next election

It's only because Boris is a Tory, and most of the affected LAs are
Labour/LibDem run that he has a hope of getting away with this
politically

This will be seen as the Mayor's fault, so Labour will get the flack.

but it's still a bag of nonsense socially.

It's nothing to do with congestion, but simply a potential way to
raise a poll-tax the pay for TfL's huge deficit.

we know that

but why should car owners in this zone pay for it?

One reason is that they are (like it or not) under Tfl's umbrella, and
so are one of the more direct sources of income. Rather than for example
imposing a council tax surcharge on everyone in London.

Another is that if TfL has to drastically cut services it'll force more
vehicles onto the roads, inconveniencing existing motorists.

It's PT uses that benefited from the fare freeze, they should be paying
for that mistake

Putting up fares won't solve the deficit (especially in the current
pandemic).

Old October 17th 20, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:01:02 on Fri, 16
Oct 2020, Ian Jackson remarked:
People who live in the "Circular" area, are people in normal
employment with lives that mean that they have to have a car.

and an annual tax of 5,475 pounds to own one, is bloody ridiculous

If the local councillors suggested this they would be out on their
ears at the next election

It's only because Boris is a Tory, and most of the affected LAs are
Labour/LibDem run that he has a hope of getting away with this
politically

but it's still a bag of nonsense socially.

It's nothing to do with congestion, but simply a potential way to
raise a poll-tax the pay for TfL's huge deficit.

After the N/S Circular, how long before the M25?

Some of the media is speculating already.
Old October 17th 20, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/10/2020 08:00, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 16/10/2020 17:06, tim... wrote:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a4571826.html
Other media available

As a disinterested party, I can't believe that anyone is seriously
suggesting this

The N/S Circular area isn't like the central area where everyone inside
it is moderately well off, or lives in a bubble where they can walk/bus
to whatever service that they need.

People who live in the "Circular" area, are people in normal employment
with lives that mean that they have to have a car.

and an annual tax of 5,475 pounds to own one, is bloody ridiculous

If residents get the same 90% discount as with the current CC that'd be
547.5.

only for the first vehicle

many families are going to have 2

the discount is limited to one vehicle per /resident/ not per household.
See Annex 3 to the Order: "At no time may particulars of more than one
vehicle be entered in the register, in relation to any one individual who
is a qualified resident."

"As part of temporary changes to the Congestion Charge, the residents'
discount is closed to new applicants"

...to discourage car ownership in the CC zone. I suggest they'd never get
away with that within the N/S circulars. Apart from anything else a lot
of Assembly Members (and MPs) would be clobbered.

but it's potentially being imposed upon these people by national government

the opposition parties looking for re-election locally can argue that they
have clean hands

by my count, the Tories have 2 constituencies and 1 assembly seat in this
new CC zone, not already inside the old one

tim

Old October 17th 20, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/10/2020 08:00, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 16/10/2020 17:06, tim... wrote:
[...]

I'd imagine that it would also severely impact people living or working
just outside the Circular Roads, and they wouldn't even have the option of
a resident's discount.

I suppose this confirms that the Tories have completely written off their
already very slim chances of winning the London mayoralty next year.
Old October 17th 20, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/10/2020 11:06, Recliner wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/10/2020 08:00, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 16/10/2020 17:06, tim... wrote:
[...]

I had in mind MPs from other constituencies with accommodation inside
the zone - plus others such as Dominic Cummings

I'd imagine that it would also severely impact people living or working
just outside the Circular Roads, and they wouldn't even have the option of
a resident's discount.

I suppose this confirms that the Tories have completely written off their
already very slim chances of winning the London mayoralty next year.

I took that as given when Bailey was selected

--
Robin

Old October 17th 20, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/10/2020 08:00, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 16/10/2020 17:06, tim... wrote:
[...]

There were rumblings about replacing him with someone electable, but
nothing came of them.

Old October 17th 20, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/10/2020 08:00, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 16/10/2020 17:06, tim... wrote:
[...]

Find an electable tory at the moment.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old October 17th 20, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:36:03 on Sat, 17 Oct
2020, tim... remarked:

"As part of temporary changes to the Congestion Charge, the
residents' discount is closed to new applicants"

...to discourage car ownership in the CC zone. I suggest they'd
never get away with that within the N/S circulars. Apart from
anything else a lot of Assembly Members (and MPs) would be clobbered.

but it's potentially being imposed upon these people by national government

the opposition parties looking for re-election locally can argue that
they have clean hands

Which will be difficult when the mayor responsible for agreeing to the
charge is from their party.
Old October 17th 20, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:06:04 on Sat, 17 Oct
2020, Recliner remarked:

I'd imagine that it would also severely impact people living or working
just outside the Circular Roads, and they wouldn't even have the option of
a resident's discount.

What's the situation with the existing CC? Do all London residents get
the discount, or only those living inside the rather small zone itself
Old October 17th 20, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:59:08 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:06:04 on Sat, 17 Oct
2020, Recliner remarked:

I'd imagine that it would also severely impact people living or working
just outside the Circular Roads, and they wouldn't even have the option of
a resident's discount.

What's the situation with the existing CC? Do all London residents get
the discount, or only those living inside the rather small zone itself

Your main home has to be in the zone to qualify, and the vehicle must be registered with the DVLA in your name and at
the address you are using to apply for the discount. Otherwise it wouldn't be a *residents'* discount.